OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles issue emergency recall to Josh Ho-Sang. Prince is on the IR, Cizikas is out with a broken hand, and Clutterbuck has been a walking injury since signing his extension. Ladd's back was hurting in the CBJ blowout loss. Maybe there's more to that. Quine also has a day-to-day UBI that was to be further evaluated today. Maybe they found out sooner that he's shelved for a while.

Ho-Sang had 36 points in 48 games, and has really improved his play away from the puck in Bridgeport. He was the 2nd leading scorer behind Bracken Kearns, who is already with the Isles.

No trade rumors involving the Isles that I'm aware of, other than them being interested in Duchene. Who isn't?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 pm 

I've read in a few places that the Isles cut off talks for Duchene, Du Clair, & Vrbata. All had too high of a price.
Also read they had at least 2 offers for Halak. No idea what the offers were.

Quite a boring day, but it's pretty much what I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am 
OTP Historian

Apparently Ho-Sang was going to take #66 :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Apparently Ho-Sang was going to take #66 :lol: :shock:

He did. He explained in interviews that he's wearing it because Mario was his favorite player, not because he thinks he's as good. He said if Mario asked him to not wear it, he would change the number. I really don't see the big deal at all. Shitloads of people wear #4 and nobody throws fits asking if they think they're better than Bobby Orr. I know like 4 other NHLers had worn 66, but I think the huge deal is made because it's Ho-Sang. Anyway, he looked pretty good in his debut. Got rocked on his first shift & kept going. Drew a penalty, made a few really nice passes, and generally looked poised with the puck. Well done kid. Also said in interviews that he really just wanted to have fun with his debut. Looked like he did.

Isles with a nice come back win, after being down 3-1 and looking flat in the 2nd. Giving up a shorty sucked, but it was a weird bounce to get past JT at the point and Benn isn't going to miss.

Blackhawks tonight. Rumor is Greiss will start again. If Berube can't be trusted they seriously need to waive him and get Halak back up. He's shown he's found his groove. Enough with the punishment. The team needs its two best goalies now. 20 games to go and in the WC2 spot. Not a time to fuck around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 am 

SO loss to Chicago, 2-1, and a 5-2 loss to the Flames. I missed both games. Glad I did.

Road trip so far-
Detroit Win
Habs Win
CBJ Blowout loss
Stars Win
Blackhawks SO loss
Calgary Loss

3-2-1. Not terrible but not good enough to feel comfortable with the 1 point lead they have for the WC2 spot.

Oilers, Canucks & Blues coming up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am 
Big in Japan

Everyone just assumes the Panthers and Lightning will eventually wake up and grab the last WC spot, but it hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Everyone just assumes the Panthers and Lightning will eventually wake up and grab the last WC spot, but it hasn't happened yet.

Not sportsclubstats.com. Those two have 10.2 & 17.9% chances respectively, as of today. Leafs at 44.4% and Isles at 47.5%. As of now...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

I figured the 9 game road trip was an NHL scheduling thing. Nope. Barclays is under renovations, so both the Isles & Nets had lots of home games early and are both now on a road trip. Another eastern conference team exec was quoted saying the Isles should be livid over the timing. Now, without being named, that could well be Dolan, who is part of the proposed new Isles home in Queens... So it should be taken with a few pounds of salt.
This is from Isles beat writer Art Staple.

It should also be noted Greiss has started the last few games, including back-to-backs. Why the hell is Berube there if they're afraid to use him, while keeping Halak in Bridgeport? Because Islanders...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm 

4-1 win vs Oilers. Ho-Sang with his first NHL goal. Nice one-timer from the point. I was saying "why is he on the point during the PP? He has no shhhh-it YEAH! Nice shot!" :lol:
Lee with 2 (1 EN) and Ladd with his 10th in 20 games since Capuano was fired. Announcers also said he had some back issues early in the season that he had "worked on" and came back after Weight took over. He's looked like a different player. A decent one. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Love Ho-Sang already. Pissing off the purists by choosing number 66, then putting his money where his mouth is by scoring in his first game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Love Ho-Sang already. Pissing off the purists by choosing number 66, then putting his money where his mouth is by scoring in his first game.

Fourth game, but yeah, he's pissing lots of people off. And he's not trying to! Penguins fans are just that sensitive. Speaking of the Penguins- great tweet from Isles beat writer Art Staple-
Quote:
Pens call up Sestito, one staged fight and one hit from behind. If only there were an NHL owner willing to publicly call out such behavior.
BURN! :lol: Where are your resignation papers Mario?

And along those lines, Penguins fans are still saying that Mario would have had better numbers than Gretzky if he'd remained healthy. As if he'd have automatically kept the same scoring pace. How would bossy stack up if his back held out? Who cares? It didn't! you go by what a player DID, not what you think they could have. Mario was great, there's no doubt about that, and it's a shame that he got sick & hurt. But Pens fans need to stop their sniveling. I can't wait until the 24th when the Isles are in Pittsburgh. I hope Ho-Sang lights them up!

Canucks tonight. I'll probably be asleep on the couch when it starts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mario also played a much more punishing game. It's funny we're talking about Joe Thornton this week, because the Bruins dumped him precisely because he wasn't Mario 2.0, but if he was he'd be just as injury-riddled as Mario 1.0.

And yes, I know illness played a part as well, shut up.

Jaromir Jagr's another big guy who has never played a rough-and-tumble style, and it's also helped his longevity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:31 am 

One of these days Jagr is going to test positive for PEDs. Or alien blood.

I went to bed sick and missed the entire Isles-Canucks game. Hometown boy Ladd with the OT winner. 5-2-1 on the road trip so far, but still only with a 1 point lead on the Leafs after they beat the Flyers.

Shane Prince headed home after looking like he broke or sprained his left ankle vs the Oilers. Stephen Gionta in for him. Alan Quine is still out with a mystery UBI and Cizikas is out with the broken thumb. Isles forward depth being tested. Dal Colle may see NHL action this year if this keeps up.

Odd notes- Isles win in Edmonton was their first since 2003, when the goalie was Garth Snow. That win also got Greiss to 22 wins, the 2nd time he's reached that level in 2 years, and only the 2nd Isles goalie to get that many since the Dynasty era. DiPietro being the only other Isles goalie to have multiple 22 win seasons. How is that possible? I know they sucked for many years, but 22 doesn't seem like that many to reach more than once. Weird. Halak had 38 wins his first year with the Isles and only 18 last year. I hadn't even known this- he was 6-8-5 with the Isles this year! Didn't realize his numbers were that bad. Now he's 15-3-1 in Bridgeport, still with a 0.931 save %. If they're afraid to play Berube, as it seems, they really ought to call him up. Yes, I know I keep saying that. It just makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 am 

At Blues tonight for game 9 of the road trip. Parayko may not play due to minor injury last night vs the Ducks. Strome out for the Isles, with an emergency callup likely. Although I haven't heard about one, so maybe they'll dress 7 D-men and have Mayfield play in his hometown.

Looked at their remaining schedule. Including tonight, the Isles have 16 games left, 8 against playoff and 8 against non-playoff teams. Four back-to-back sets. This is why they really ought to bring up Halak now! Have I mentioned that in here? A few dozen times? Weight seems hesitant to use Berube, and Halak found his game...WTF are they waiting for? Maybe Weight just hates Halak? Maybe Halak is a problem in the room? Although he's sure as hell helped Bridgeport. If he was such a problem I'd think he'd have been a bigger one after the demotion to Bridgeport. This is all very weird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:37 am 

4-3 loss to the Blues. If you told me they'd go 5-3-1 on the road trip from hell, I'd have signed up for it. But losing the last game sucks, especially the way they did. They appeared to tie it early on a 4 minute PP when Ladd scored his 20th, but it was taken away due to offsides challenge. Good call, even if it sucks. But it seemed to take the life out of them. They gave up a few shitty goals after that. One Leddy took the puck in front of Greiss and skated right into another Islander who was not really moving. Puck squirted over a Blue who scored. Another was a cross ice pass that Greiss was moving over for, but Lee blocked the pass- and put it right onto the stick of Steen who was coming in on the side the pass had come from. Third shitty goal saw the Isles keep the puck in the Blues zone for like 3 minutes, trapping the Blues players on the ice exhausted, and Petrangelo had blocked a shot & was in obvious pain... They had a few chances but couldn't put it in, when the Blues changed the right winger (nearest bench), and the D passed it up to Terasenko (fresh winger) who went & blasted it in. The other Blues looked too tired to congratulate him.
Then Beauvillier scored a nice one early in the third and Leddy made it interesting, scoring with 1:29 to go and a 6-4 PP. But they couldn't get another one.
Ho-Sang looks to be gaining confidence. He makes a lot of really great start-stop moves throwing D off his trail.
Greiss looks tired. Berube stopped all shots he faced after replacing Greiss to start the third, but wtf is it going to take to get Halak called up??? Greiss allowed 4 goals on 18 shots. Granted, 2 were really lucky for the Blues and 2 were Terasenko blasts, but they need to get him some rest. 4 back-to-backs left. Time to pull their best goalie back up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 am 

Home/Away back-to-back vs the Hurricanes, who seem to have had the Isles number for a while now. They play again next week too. If the Isles can't solve these guys, the Hurricanes could really spoil the season for the Isles.
But who knows if they'll be able to play tomorrow's game. The east is supposed to get slammed with a Nor'Easter, dropping up to 2' of snow. Isles play a back-to-back & 3 games in 4 nights to end the season as it is, so adding a make-up game would be difficult.

Isles still missing: Prince, Quine, Boychuk & Cizikas. And of course Halak. Have I mentioned that lately?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 am 
Big in Japan

Snow in mid-March and you're missing Halak. What a topsy-turvy world we live in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Snow in mid-March and you're missing Halak. What a topsy-turvy world we live in.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am 

Complete donkey show vs the Hurricanes Monday night. 8 goals allowed. To say the Hurricanes own the Isles this year is an understatement.
If hockey had batting practice pitching equivalents, that's what Berube was last night. It's time to cut the shit & call Halak up. Berube isn't played enough to keep any confidence, and he's not played enough because he's not good enough. We all see that now. But Snow is keeping up some personal BS against Halak and keeping him down. Enough. The season is slipping away. Greiss looks exhausted. Berube doesn't look good. Halak is kicking ass in the AHL. What's the question?

Rematch vs the Hurricanes tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The thing with Halak is he was likely right that carrying three goalies in practice is a problem and now Snow is doubling down on his foolishness by not using them when they clearly need him. As a Leaf fan I am hoping for my teams playoffs that the Islanders stumble but also thing Snow has some Karma due that I would hate to see him dodge with a playoff back door entry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next