OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:46 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hooray, it's here. https://www.nhl.com/islanders/schedule/2016-10-01/ET

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

A lot of home games in the first half of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
A lot of home games in the first half of the season.

Yeah, which makes it that much more important to get off to a good start. Going to be hard to make up points with only 20 home games in their last 51 of the season! Yep, 20 of their first 31 are at home.

But #1 is on the road tonight in Manhattan. Halak is supposedly in net and supposedly healthy.

Hockey is back! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:43 am 

Totally lackluster 2 periods, then the standard Islanders "too little, too late" third period. 5-3 loss with the Rangers 5th being an empty netter. Went into the 3rd trailing 2-0. Second goal was a beautiful redirection by Strome. Oh- the Rangers second goal that is. Now that you're getting to play center, you might want to have a fucking clue where the puck is in your own zone kid. And maybe not turn your back on it. Just some tips from an old beer leaguer.

And Parenteau opened the Devils' season scoring. I could imagine him facing Brooklyn & going :haha: . Or Snow calling Shero to ask what he wants for Parenteau. :lol:

Despite giving up 4 goals Halak looked good.

Leddy, Clusterfuck & Nelson with the Isles' goals.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mathew Barzal starts his NHL career out in style. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it's only two games but I have a bad feeling the Isles are gonna be in trouble this year. And I'm puttin' money (not real money) on Capuano being the first guy fired. I may have predicted someone else, changing my mind now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Mathew Barzal starts his NHL career out in style. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it's only two games but I have a bad feeling the Isles are gonna be in trouble this year. And I'm puttin' money (not real money) on Capuano being the first guy fired. I may have predicted someone else, changing my mind now.

I felt bad for Barzal. Glad to see Strome make a joke of it on the bench and get the kid to laugh. But yeah, he definitely looked jittery in that game. They played Beauvillier vs the Ducks, and I get the feeling they're going to keep rotating those 2 in. So it may take up to 18 games to see if they stick or not.

Blown lead vs the Ducks, only to win it in OT, on a goal by... Josh Bailey? Nice play and I'm glad to see him come up with a nice goal. He's hated by the Isles fans because he's not a Tavares-like scorer despite being drafted 9th. Bad rap if you ask me.

The WWE guy who invented the Yes Yes Yes chant was at the game. He'd never been to a hockey game before. They had him lead the chant when the Isles scored, let him ride the Zamboni, and even gave him a t-shirt cannon during intermission. :lol: I'm not into wrestling in the slightest, but he seems like a good, down to Earth guy.

It would be nice if the refs would start penalizing players for slashing the shit out of Tavares' hand. 3 games, and at least 3 hacks to his lower hand that caused him to have it frozen during each game. Nothing like protecting the stars!

Hamonic nailed Perry in the foot or lower leg with a clearing attempt. When Perry was on the ice Hamonic went over, clearly apologizing. The other Ducks came flying over to go after Hamonic. Isles were on a PK, so clearly he was trying to ice it. Idiots. Cizikas took a hard shot to his knee shortly after, took like 2 more shifts & left the game. The game was quite nasty for an East-West game. They're usually pretty tame. Lots of slashing, cross-checking, etc. Isles got 2 points, so who cares? Not me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:37 am 

it took longer than 13 minutes for the Ducks to register a shot on goal. Welcome back Randy Carlyle.

That Bailey OT winner was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
it took longer than 13 minutes for the Ducks to register a shot on goal. Welcome back Randy Carlyle.

That Bailey OT winner was ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't hate Bailey like many Isles fans do. I see flashes of good-great stuff like this play. Their reply is to ask why he can't play every game like that. He comes up huge now & then in OT, with a highlight reel play. But then he'll go like 10 games with few shots on goal or good plays... streakiness in a goal scorer is one thing, but he'll be lazy for like 4-5 games now & then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 pm 

The problem right now (and it will be an issue throughout the season) is that the Isles are seriously lacking in firepower. Not a single, solitary honest-to-goodness scoring winger is on the roster. Very good collection of two-way players yes, but no shifty, speedy snipers nor any big fat guys plunking in rebounds in front of the net. I don't blame Snow for letting Okposo walk but there's no Plan B this season.

I'm guessing Dal Colle was supposed to be that guy...I'm guessing he won't be. Ever. Barzal projects to be more a playmaker, and Beauvillier might be that guy but it's way too early to be relying on him to bring it every night.

Snow needs to start making some phone calls. He doesn't need to go all-out, just see what's out there and for what price.

Isles are also a little blah on the blueline. Very solid, very balanced, but they don't have an elite #1 d-man. I realize those are about the hardest thing in the hockey world to find/develop but I feel like they could use an added puckmoving dynamic of some sort. What would it take to wrest Shattenkirk from St. Louis? Or Lindholm from Anaheim?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:14 am 

I feel like all they have are puck moving d-men. :lol: Boychuk hits hard but isn't a "shutdown" d-man. He's a bomb from the point and decent passer. Leddy is a very good puck mover, is good in his own end, but really excels at the 1st outlet pass and using his speed to move the puck as well. Hamonic is good in both ends, but may lean toward being better in his own end. De Haan is a little more defensive, but not as good as Hamonic. Hickey is a puck moving d-man who throws a big hit now & then, especially for his size. Seidenberg- I haven't seen enough to know what he is yet and didn't pay attention when he was on the Bruins.
Pulock is another guy good in both ends, but definitely leans toward the offensive. Pelech is more of a defensive guy, but isn't as good as anyone listed here so far. Mayfield is more of a shutdown type, but is probably too slow to do it in the NHL.

Anders Lee is the guy they rely on to stand in front & tip in shots or put in rebounds. I think they see Ladd on rebounds as well. I agree though, as do all Isles fans, that they really need a scoring winger to compliment Tavares. I also agree Dal Colle will likely never be that guy. Ho-Sang has a chance, and may get called up this year, especially if either/both Barzal & Beauvillier get sent back to juniors.

It may be time for Snow to move a decent prospect for a scoring legit threat.

Sharks tonight. They will likely be pissed after losing 7-4 to the Rangers last night. But hopefully they'll be tired.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 pm 

Isles drop a 3-2 game to the Sharks & their goalie making his NHL debut, Aaron Dell. My daughter asked why he doesn't have snowflakes all over his mask & I didn't get it for a while. :lol:

Anyway, Mr. Frozen beat the Isles in his debut. Good for him. Bad for the Isles, who can't fucking score. Lee got his first of the year & Anthony Beauvillier got his first NHL goal, playing in his 3rd game. Possibly of some note- Beauvillier has played in 3 games, including 2 straight, while Mathew Barzal has only played in 1. Maybe Barzal is sick or something, but Beauvillier looks to be closer to sticking this year than Barzal as of now. My big question about these 2 kids is- why do they both have Bob's Big Boy haircuts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:11 am 

The good news is that after a few days of hearing it get butchered, I finally learned how to properly pronounce "Beauvillier." I wish they'd tell everyone else how to say it.

I've already got the GDT thought up now: "Ali Beauvillier!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 am 

Av-merican wrote:
The good news is that after a few days of hearing it get butchered, I finally learned how to properly pronounce "Beauvillier." I wish they'd tell everyone else how to say it.

I hope you're not relying on American announcers to have it right. But even worse, Butch Goring. :lol: He's pronounced it like 7 different ways through 3 games, and often just calls him "Bo". At least he admits he destroys names.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:02 pm 

It's just so stupid how they're saying it though. :lol: It's driving me nuts even moreso than "Nail" and not "Na-eel" Yakupov. Do people REALLY think his name is one of those pointy metal things you use to hang up pictures!?

Anyway, I keep hearing "Bo-Vill-ee-ay," and I'm certainly not the expert on French pronunciation but geez, if yer gonna Anglicize, go all the way and say "Bo-vill-eer." Putting the "ay" on the end just makes it even worse.

But I suppose this is always going to happen in a league with so many French and European names. I'm pretty sure John Davidson was the only person to pronounce Alexei Kovalev's name correctly while he played.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
It's just so stupid how they're saying it though. :lol: It's driving me nuts even moreso than "Nail" and not "Na-eel" Yakupov. Do people REALLY think his name is one of those pointy metal things you use to hang up pictures!?

Anyway, I keep hearing "Bo-Vill-ee-ay," and I'm certainly not the expert on French pronunciation but geez, if yer gonna Anglicize, go all the way and say "Bo-vill-eer." Putting the "ay" on the end just makes it even worse.

But I suppose this is always going to happen in a league with so many French and European names. I'm pretty sure John Davidson was the only person to pronounce Alexei Kovalev's name correctly while he played.

I've probably ranted about this before on here, but I got an audio book on the 1993 NHL season and the guy reading it should have his tongue cut out. He massacred almost every name in the book. The only one that kind of made me at least laugh was him calling Vincent Damphousse "Damp house". :lol: :D :) :| :roll: :oops: :chris18:

And John Davidson- I still hold him in extremely high regard for his brilliant pre-game 7 analysis in '94 when he said "whoever wants to win this game is going to have to score more goals". Fucking brilliant John. I hope they carve that on your headstone. Soon. He's lucky Twitter and such weren't around back then. I just looked and couldn't find video of it. Shame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:40 pm 

Nick Leddy day-to-day with a UBI. Ryan Pulock recalled on emergency basis.

And I forgot to post it the other day, but Shane Prince is on the IR, retroactive to, well, right after he last played, whenever that was. If you actually care, you shouldn't rely on me for info. I mainly post any of this to avoid working for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 am 

Strome vs Strome tonight. I'll miss the game. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:05 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

You've got my permission to use "Never mind the Pulocks. Here's the Avalanche!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:21 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

You've got my permission to use "Never mind the Pulocks. Here's the Avalanche!"

AH! Good one!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 am 

Not necessarily a parent's worst nightmare, but when one of your NHL playing sons scores because your other NHL playing son leaves him wide open, well, it just might lead to a few seconds of confusion about the celebration. http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/10/21/ ... -islanders :lol:

Isles blew a 2-0 lead, with the Coyotes scoring 38 seconds after the 2-0 goal. And then again 13 seconds later to tie it. But Boychuk put home his first career SH goal in the third for the winning goal. Seidenberg opened the scoring with a nice shot from the point.
And the bad news- Ryan Pulock played in his first NHL game of the season after being called up, and didn't even make it out of the 1st period. He's out 4-6 weeks with an LBI. Fucking hell. Pelech expected to be called up if Leddy isn't ready to go.

Wild tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next