OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
The thing with Halak is he was likely right that carrying three goalies in practice is a problem and now Snow is doubling down on his foolishness by not using them when they clearly need him. As a Leaf fan I am hoping for my teams playoffs that the Islanders stumble but also thing Snow has some Karma due that I would hate to see him dodge with a playoff back door entry.

Understood on the playoff wish. And I agree on the karma point.
Halak was right about having 3 goalies, but his lack of healthy seasons necessitates it. But Berube isn't the guy. We're seeing that when he gets in. Maybe he has lost confidence from not playing, but that's the role of a backup. Prove you can handle it when you get into games and you'll get played more. Keep sucking and you'll keep riding the bench. But if they're afraid to play him and Greiss looks this tired/bad, they need to call up Halak. Weight hinted it may be happening, but rumors around the good ol' hindernet are that Snow doesn't want to call him up, and the banishment is year-long, unless Greiss gets hurt. Stupid.

Anyway. Nice win last night vs the team that whooped them the night before. Ho-Sang is looking like a real NHLer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Halak was right about having 3 goalies, but his lack of healthy seasons necessitates it.

Was it not really avoiding putting anyone on waivers that drove Snow with the three goalie team?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, it was a waiver-motivated move. Really, I thought Snow more or less HAD solved the problem by getting a pretty solid backup.

Really, it's a shame that Snow, a former goalie himself, failed in setting up a goalie pipeline. I realize developing goalies in-house seems almost like chasing the Holy Grail, but if ANYONE could do it, I'da thunk Garth could.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Halak was right about having 3 goalies, but his lack of healthy seasons necessitates it.

Was it not really avoiding putting anyone on waivers that drove Snow with the three goalie team?

Yes. Getting Greiss was supposed to have solved the problem and given them a very good tandem. In that pre-season Halak got hurt, and I think Snow just about soiled himself seeing a guy who played 24 games max in his career as his starter, so when Berube, who had won the Calder in the AHL, became available, he snatched him up. Smart move. However, I guess he was afraid if he waived him that LA would take him back, if not someone else. So he kept him around. At times I am 100% sure Berube would have passed through waivers. Last year the Isles seemed really high on Berube, with everyone praising him. This year they have always seemed reluctant to play him, and look to have exhausted Greiss at times, playing him in both games of back-to-backs several times. If they're afraid to use Berube, why be afraid to lose him? Sure he's way cheaper than Halak, but it's not like they're using that money to land a trade at this point. Halak is clearly the better of the 2, and I am positive Berube and his 0.889 save%, and 3.42 GAA would pass through waivers. If not, so be it. Is Halak that much of a dick? I don't know, but they could be pissing away the season by keeping him banished in favor of Berube. Halak has shown Bridgeport how to win, taking them from cellar dwellers to a playoff spot and a heck of a win streak. that doesn't sound like a bad guy in the room to me.

And yes, one would think a former goalie would prioritize the position and set up a decent succession of goalies, and know how to not piss off the ones he has. I guess you can say Sorokin should be coming over in 2 years, which is when Greiss' contract ends, so maybe Snow does have a plan after all. But the mis-handling of Halak has been really bad. He had little trade value before, and now it's even worse.

Jets tonight. Have to win, since Toronto & Tampa play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am 

Fucking hell. 4-2 loss to the Jets. With 16 games to go, they had an even split vs playoff & non-playoff teams. They've gone 1-3, with 3 vs non-playoff teams. Now they've got 7 vs playoff teams, and 5 vs non-playoff teams, and are back in 9th place. Fuck this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 am 

OT loss to the CBJs. :roll: Came from behind to force OT and get 1 point, but they really needed 2. Still in 9th by one point, but the Leafs have the game in hand.

Isles don't play til Wednesday, when they face the Rangers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am 
Big in Japan

Halak up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Halak up!

:Butch: Apparently Weight & Snow have disagreed over this. Weight has been saying for a few weeks that Halak would help them, but Snow wanted to keep him banished. That's the internet rumor anyway. Seems plausible though.

Huge win over the Rangers last night, but costly. Stome's right wrist was broken in a hit by Skeij, or however you spell it. Greiss was great, but I guess they're not seeing much from Berube in practice. Halak is up for all the back-to-backs they have coming up.

Still 2 points out of WC2, but with 2 games in hand on the Bruins, who they play Saturday (after playing the Penguins Friday night).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am 

Isles vs the toothless, finger slasher tonight. He should be suspended, but we all know he won't be, because...Crosby. Personally, I think having his teeth knocked out last week started him on a body part collection binge. He's probably got the teeth in a jar on his mantle, with the chunk of Methot's finger in a zip lock baggie on ice below it, in a subservient position. The guy needs to be stopped before he begins harvesting organs!

And Mario says he's fine with Ho-Sang wearing #66. So most of the internet can stfu now. But they won't, because it's the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:04 am 
OTP Historian

Love that Ho-Sang took #66.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:42 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Love that Ho-Sang took #66.

It's hysterical because he took it in honor of Mario, not to say he's better or anything like that. He's said it many times.
And I love this kid on the Isles. He's brought some youthful fun back to games. When he put the puck on net the other night & it went in off of a few skates (Beauvillier's then Kulemin's), he looked so incredibly happy it was awesome. Sure he probably thought he scored, but it's still great to see. I look forward to seeing that many more times. Hopefully tonight. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 am 

Huge loss to the Bruins Saturday night. Isles looked very flat for a game that basically could decide their playoff fate. Tavares with a great play to score the first goal of the game, then rookie Riley Nash had 2, sandwiching a disallowed Bruins goal due to goalie interference. Weight was furious that he had to use his challenge on the play, since it was so obvious the Bruins forward in front hit Greiss in the head a split second before the shot went in. But the Isles couldn't make good. Tavares hit the crossbar with like 3 minutes to go, and the puck went almost straight up in the air. No life with the goalie pulled either. Couldn't penetrate the zone to save their season.

Predators tonight. Tough matchup, and they play them twice in the remaining 8 games. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm 

Isles signed John Stevens, who is not called Jr for some reason, despite being the son of John Stevens, current assistant coach for the LA Kings. Isles fans are wondering if this is an attempt to lure John Stevens Sr (I'm calling him that, for ease of understanding) to coach the Isles, as Weight may get the President job, instead of continuing to coach. I think that would be a stupid way to lure a coach to your team, especially since the kid isn't exactly a standout, and will likely top out at the AHL level, and be a bubble player at best.
2 year, ELC. He's 22.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, I have the same first and last name as my father and grandfather but I have a different middle name than them, so I'm not a junior, and bristle whenever someone calls me that (so now you have more ammo if indeed you ever need it). Confused the living hell out of the old lady at the voting booth handing us our ballots because he IS listed as a junior. :lol: If my parents had decided to give me the same middle name I'd have been the 5th. Ugh. That's why, if my wife and I ever have kids and we have a boy, my first name is OFF the table.

Also, that's why Dubya was never officially a "Jr." either. He was just "George Walker Bush" and not "George HERBERT Walker Bush." Go figure. :lol:

Way more information than you probably ever wanted to know!

In short, I'm guessing John Stevens has a different middle name than John Stevens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, I have the same first and last name as my father and grandfather but I have a different middle name than them, so I'm not a junior, and bristle whenever someone calls me that (so now you have more ammo if indeed you ever need it). Confused the living hell out of the old lady at the voting booth handing us our ballots because he IS listed as a junior. :lol: If my parents had decided to give me the same middle name I'd have been the 5th. Ugh. That's why, if my wife and I ever have kids and we have a boy, my first name is OFF the table.

Also, that's why Dubya was never officially a "Jr." either. He was just "George Walker Bush" and not "George HERBERT Walker Bush." Go figure. :lol:

Way more information than you probably ever wanted to know!

In short, I'm guessing John Stevens has a different middle name than John Stevens.

Good point. Hadn't thought of it. I'm too busy trying to figure out if the Isles truly have any shot at a playoff spot. Possible? Yes. Likely? Nope. Realistically possible? Nope.

Remaining games:
3/30 @ Flyers. Flyers are 2 points behind the Isles & will be fighting like hell to climb up. They're always tough for the Isles to begin with.
3/31 vs Devils.
4/2 @ Buffalo
4/4 @ Nashville. Good chance for revenge. Fuckers beat the Isles & then lost to the Bruins Fucked the Isles twice.
4/6 @ Hurricanes, who are also always tough for the Isles for some reason.
4/8 @ Devils.
4/9 vs Senators. Hopefully by then the Sens' playoff matchup is set & they rest key players.

5/7 on the road, which is probably good for this team, since they've been better on the road lately. 5/7 are also non-playoff teams, but so are the Isles, so that's not necessarily much of a help.
Sportsclubstats currently has the Bruins at 74.1%, Bolts at 24.5%, Isles at 10.9%. Hurricanes at 6.8% and Flyers at 0.2%.

Bruins schedule
vs Stars
vs Panthers
@ Blackhawks (back-to-back)
vs Bolts
vs Senators
vs Caps.

Bolts schedule
vs Detroit
vs Habs
vs Stars (back-to-back)
@ Bruins
@ Leafs
@ Habs
vs Buffalo

Hurricanes schedule
vs CBJ
vs Stars
@ Pens
@ Wild
vs Isles
vs Blues
@ Fyers

Who would have thought the Stars might have such a big impact on the eastern WC2 spot!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am 

What a shit show vs the Flyers. 5-0 after like 16 minutes. Greiss with5 saves on 8 shots. Halak gave up 2 more in the first. No urgency with this team. Weight said the game was shit, and he didn't understand why they'd come out flat. Welcome to the NY Islanders Dougie!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:21 am 

2-1 win over the Devils. Squandered 7 or 8 PPs, including 2 lengthy 5-3s. But none of that means anything because apparently Tavares went down injured in the 3rd period, needing help to get off the ice. I left for my own game and haven't seen video, but LightHouseHockey.com says it looks like a hamstring injury, and they doubt he'll play the rest of the regular season, aka, the rest of the Islanders season. It's great they won, but they're still 4 points back with 5 games to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
2-1 win over the Devils. Squandered 7 or 8 PPs, including 2 lengthy 5-3s. But none of that means anything because apparently Tavares went down injured in the 3rd period, needing help to get off the ice. I left for my own game and haven't seen video, but LightHouseHockey.com says it looks like a hamstring injury, and they doubt he'll play the rest of the regular season, aka, the rest of the Islanders season. It's great they won, but they're still 4 points back with 5 games to go.

Leafs win, Isles are now 7 points back. I was wrong up there, and they had been 5 points back. Make up 7 points in 5 games? Ha. Funny.

Tavares reportedly "week to week". Considering they've got 5 games in 8 days, he's out the rest of the Isles season. There's no way they can make that up, especially not without Tavares.

They called up Conor Jones from Bridgeport. Good player, great guy.

Just about time to start checking the draft prospects. A few of those shitty games here & there make a huge difference in the end. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:30 am 
Big in Japan

No JT, no playoffs. Disappointing season for the Isles in the very competitive Metro Division.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 am 

E.L. wrote:
No JT, no playoffs. Disappointing season for the Isles in the very competitive Metro Division.

Yep. The Metro is so damned good, and the Isles, well, aren't. Very disappointing after winning a round last year. The new owner said for this season to be a success they needed to win 2 rounds. Hope he drops the axe on Snow. This past year was by far his worst as GM. Time is up.

Sabres today. Can hardly contain my excitement (yaaaaaaaaaaawn).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next