OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Finally made official- Grabovski is not cleared to skate at all. His last concussion (third known) was 6 months ago. That's a hell of a long time to have lingering effects and think you're going to continue a career in the NHL. Damn shame.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:34 pm 

And like that, Boychuk & Clutterbuck are out with injuries. Boychuk has a UBI that Capuano called a "nagging" injury. Speculation is that the separated shoulder never healed right last year, and that's why he played like shit through the rest of the season. Why not get it fixed after the season??? Capuano with very Capuano-like analysis, saying "if he's okay he'll be right back in there. If he's not okay, we'll take our time with it." Well that's fucking astounding.

Clutterbuck is out with an LBI. No speculation on what it is yet.

In more amusing news, Josh Ho-Sang arrived in town a few days early and tweeted a photo of about 25 alarm clocks, saying he was ready to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:35 am 

Isles youngens (plus Boulton) beat the Flyers youngens, 3-0. Berube & Gibson split the shutout, stopping 14 each.
Prince scored on a "whoopsie", supposedly having his pass go off a Flyers' d-man leg & in.
Barzal made a nifty play from behind the net to set up Ho-Sang, who took his time and roofed it.
Dal Colle added an empty netter.

Both Prince & Strome fought Nick Cousins. Strome because Cousins threw what Strome perceived as a dirty hit on Pelech, and Prince, well, maybe he just thought Cousins was still a dick. I kind of like hearing the "vets" in the game stood up for their teammates, but I also don't want to see guys like that hurt their hands. Isn't that why Boulton was in the lineup? But Strome went after him right after the hit. And maybe it sends a better message for "regular" players to stand up for their teammates, then just the team goon.

Split squad games vs the Flyers & Rangers tonight. Hockey on TV! Woohoo!

And at least 1 Islander will be a World Cup champ- either Tavares (likely) or Halak & Greiss (although he hasn't played at all).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:35 pm 

Isles-Rangers on TV.
Isles-Flyers not on TV.

I get to see Barzal, which I'm looking forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:14 pm 

Isles have signed Dennis Seidenberg to a 1 year, $1 million deal. And yes, it's a 1-way deal. One must ask, why?

Isles D:

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock
Mayfield, Pelech, Seidenberg. Can't play 9 D, especially not when you've got 3 goalies on the roster and may have 15 forwards really pushing for spots. That math no worky.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Isles have signed Dennis Seidenberg to a 1 year, $1 million deal. And yes, it's a 1-way deal. One must ask, why?

Isles D:

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock
Mayfield, Pelech, Seidenberg. Can't play 9 D, especially not when you've got 3 goalies on the roster and may have 15 forwards really pushing for spots. That math no worky.

Well...Boychuk's already hurt, Hamonic no doubt will get hurt, and who knows about de Haan. If there's not a spot now, there will be.

Of course, if I was concerned about a fragile defensive corps...Dennis Seidenberg would not be the guy I sign as insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:08 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Isles D:

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

Well...Boychuk's already hurt, Hamonic no doubt will get hurt, and who knows about de Haan. If there's not a spot now, there will be.

Of course, if I was concerned about a fragile defensive corps...Dennis Seidenberg would not be the guy I sign as insurance.

If he's used as a 7th d-man, filling in for a guy now & then, that's fine. If he reduces Pulock's NHL ice time, Snow shouldn't be fired, but drawn & quartered. Mayfield might make it through waivers- maybe that's the reason Snow gave him a 1-way deal? So other teams would be less likely to claim him & put him on their AHL roster? But I think Pelech would be claimed since he was playing really well before he had his blood clot issue, and looks to be fully recovered from that.

Siiiiiiiiigh. Islanders. Sighlanders. And I thought the fans had gone crazy over the team replacing Okposo, Nielsen & Martin with Ladd, Parenteau & Chimera... That was nothing compared to this. Fucking New Yorkers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:44 am 
Big in Japan

Are we sure Seidenberg is done done? Maybe playing 14 minutes a night on the third pairing is a role he can handle at this point.

It would just be sad to me if the two big German defencemen, he and Ehrhoff, gone from the NHL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Are we sure Seidenberg is done done? Maybe playing 14 minutes a night on the third pairing is a role he can handle at this point.

It would just be sad to me if the two big German defencemen, he and Ehrhoff, gone from the NHL.

I don't think he's "done done". I think he'd be okay as a 7th d-man, to fill in now & then when someone has a minor injury or needs a rest. I am just praying that his presence doesn't mean one of the top 6 are really hurt or are being dropped a peg in the depth chart in favor of Seidenberg. I mainly mean Pulock in this. Capuano has a bad habit of going with "veteran experience" over any youth, regardless of that youth showing more talent than the vet. Matt Donovan ate hot dogs in the press box while Brian Strait sucked on the ice... I believe this ruined Donovan's confidence. He was much better than he is now.

The Isles have a lot of young d-men worthy of at least a look now & then. Mayfield & Pelech were thought to be the 7th & 8th, with Pulock starting as the 6th this year, possibly moving up as Boychuk drops off. Adding an "old balls" d-man into the mix is just weird. I guess Snow thought he looked good enough at the WC to sign. It's certainly not the contract terms that have Isles fans up in arms, but mainly the fact that he's bumping a young guy down.

The Isles already have serious roster issues. They've got 14 forwards (including Barzal, excluding the IRed Grabovski) who could be on the NHL roster, now NINE d-men and 3 goalies. It just doesn't work for a 23 man roster. It's a good problem to have, unless they lose decent players to waiver claims, or send Barzal back just to keep from losing someone. He's been given a great opportunity to make the team, and through 2 pre-season games, looks to have a spot locked up. At least, in the eyes of all fans & media. He's got the 2nd most ice time through 2 games, behind Josh Bailey, who most fans are hoping is getting lots of ice time in order to bring about a trade. For anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:21 pm 

I suppose Isles fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Apparently Griffin Reinhart is already looking so abominably bad in Edmonton he could be off the roster once the season starts. If Barzal pans out, it's definitely a win for Snow, or at least a good recoup.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I suppose Isles fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Apparently Griffin Reinhart is already looking so abominably bad in Edmonton he could be off the roster once the season starts. If Barzal pans out, it's definitely a win for Snow, or at least a good recoup.

Not that I would gloat over Reinhart being a bust, but to fall off of Edmonton's D-depth chart.... Ouch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am 

Went to the Isles-Caps pre-season game in Bridgeport last night. Had a great time. Sat 2nd row in the corner on the side where the Isles shot twice. We were also right near where the Caps walked in/out of the rink. Lots of Caps fans (???) there and they were annoying, coming over to high-five players through the fence. I have to say- Holtby made a point of giving a stick-tap to each kid's hand he saw. That was very cool to see. Some of the younger players just walked by with their hands down, like they're too cool. The best thing we saw there though was some Isles fan heckling the Caps. I have no idea what he said, as he was on the opposite side of the concourse, but he seriously pissed off Trotz, who stopped and had a few things to say back! Trotz was obviously pissed; we could tell by the animation of his head on top of his lack of neck. The Isles fan leaned back and said "sorry coach". Trotz nodded and walked away. The assistant coaches caught up to him on the ice and were laughing. The Isles fan was totally red with embarrassment and may have left the game or moved his seat. I didn't see him again. :lol:

Not to make just Isles fans look dumb- there was a super tall Caps fan standing near us during warm-ups with his kids. A puck went over the glass and got stuck in the protective netting right over him. My wife pointed it out to him. He reached up and easily got his hands on it, but kept trying to knock it back toward himself- despite the netting going up another 15' and being very well intact. After about 3 minutes of everyone laughing at this idiot, some other guy came down and told him to pick his kid up and have the kid push it forward. The kid then tried the same move his dad had failed at for 3 minutes. :lol: Eventually another puck landed a few feet away and some other kid immediately got lifted by his dad and did it the right way. After a minute, the first family figured it out. I golf clapped for the dad.

Due to our seats, the arena staff offered to let my girls ride the Zambonis for the pre-game ice cut! We got into the underbelly of the arena and my younger daughter FREAKED the fuck out! She's always wanted to ride a Zamboni, but all of a sudden she had a level 5 meltdown, crying, doing this weird thing flapping her hands together and just repeating "no no no no..." So they let us go to the arena door & watch the older sister & some other kid ride around. After she calmed down (the instant I said she didn't have to do it), she had fun watching from the doorway. I thought she'd regret not doing it, but even after the game she said she's so happy she didn't. Weird. One of the in-arena hosts was on skates and offered to get some photos of the older on the Zamboni. Very cool of him. Afterwards they gave the younger a Sound Tigers shirt for her troubles. :lol:

Very good game, even though the Islanders (mostly Sound Tigers in this one) lost 2-1.
Some notes on players:
Dal Colle is nowhere near NHL ready. He's been invisible all pre-season. He's big but he looks kind of lost. He started last year in junior like that and then had a great year, but he needs to seriously step up.
Ho-Sang is fast enough, made some very smart passes and plays, but really needs to learn to stay on his feet. He was knocked down whenever someone touched him. And he usually grimaced as he got up. Maybe he's got a minor injury like so many players do, but then his overall toughness and "gritz" is questionable. And gritz is what Capuano looks for in players. I don't think Ho-Sang has a chance at the Isles out of camp although depending on roster moves, he may be a mid-season injury call-up. I was actually hoping he'd have a noticeable mental lapse during the game so I could yell "Ho-Sang, WAKE UP!" but alas, he was very alert and smart. Ho-Sang also drew 3 penalties early in the game, before all the meathead Sound Tigers started taking a ton of dumb penalties.
Barzal- he didn't get as much ice time as he had in the first 2 games he played, but he was always in the middle of things. He made one great poke check steal on a guy way bigger than him, and was long gone before the guy swung his stick around at him. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him get the 9 game tryout at least. He's looking like an NHL player.
Beauvillier- he looked pretty good, but is definitely headed back to juniors. He plays with the gritz though, so Capuano will like him. Eventually.
Capuano- wasn't coaching!!! The Sound Tigers coaching staff were on the bench. Maybe the Isles staff were up in the press box to evaluate things from above?
Lee- played a great game, scoring the Isles only goal on a rebound from a Pulock bomb. He was great along the boards as he always is. Good to see his leg has healed.
Pulock- looks to have matured a little, as he doesn't just try to shoot every time he gets the puck. He picked his spots and only had 1 shot blocked.
Bernier- on a PTO. Why? He took a moronic penalty with like 3 minutes to go and the Isles down a goal. Way to kill any momentum, dipshit!
JF Berube played the whole game, which I found odd, considering Chris Gibson will be in Bridgeport, and I thought they were trying to sort of cross-sell the Sound Tigers to Isles fans. Berube played well, and maybe he played the whole game so they can make a decision on what to do with him since he's third on the depth chart and would require passing through waivers (which he likely won't). Also of note- after every whistle he immediately skates over to the left hand boards and looks at the crowd. I find it very odd that a player would look at the crowd at all, especially a goalie. But he would like right at me or one of my family. My younger daughter have him a smile & thumbs up after a good save and he smiled back! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:59 pm 

I've not heard much, if any good news on Dal Colle since he was taken. Everyone's pretty sure he's headed to Bustville. Never a good sign when younger (and less hyped) prospects are passing you up on the depth chart. Staple was singing the praises of Ho-Sang, says he might fill the gaping hole at RW the Isles currently have.

What's the word on Strome? I can't imagine the organization is crazy about him right now.

It's funny, I've never ridden on a zamboni before. I could've easily gotten one at the rink I played at in Arvada. I suppose I was way too scared of that auger to ever even ask. I blame this episode of this really, really awful TV show.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like a fun experience in Bridgeport. Is it a nice town?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:40 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I've not heard much, if any good news on Dal Colle since he was taken. Everyone's pretty sure he's headed to Bustville. Never a good sign when younger (and less hyped) prospects are passing you up on the depth chart. Staple was singing the praises of Ho-Sang, says he might fill the gaping hole at RW the Isles currently have.

What's the word on Strome? I can't imagine the organization is crazy about him right now.

It's funny, I've never ridden on a zamboni before. I could've easily gotten one at the rink I played at in Arvada. I suppose I was way too scared of that auger to ever even ask. I blame this episode of this really, really awful TV show.

Yeah, Dal Colle is almost a forgotten prospect. Last year he started out in a major slump after winning the Memorial Cup the year before. A trade in juniors rekindled his year, and he came to the Sound Tigers last year on a high note, only to have trouble adjusting to the pro game. He looks a little slower than other guys, and a step or two behind the play. Although they used him on the PK last night a lot, and they had a shitload of PKs. So maybe he was tired. Barzal just looks more NHL ready in everyone's eyes. Who knows what the team thinks?

I think the organization is putting some pressure on Strome to overcome his serious sophomore slump. They re-signed him, and to $2.5 million/year, so they obviously has some faith in him. I think them not going after more & bigger UFA fish show that they think Strome, Lee & Nelson are ready to play bigger roles. That's my opinion though. But he's got to be better than last year. He was awful for most of the year. This organization has a lot of patience, whether warranted or not. See Josh Bailey.

My older daughter has now ridden the Zamboni twice at the Sound Tigers rink. I've never ridden one in like 30 years of being around rinks. :lol: The people were really cool, offering to let my younger daughter do it during the first intermission in case she changed her mind. They came to our seats to ask. Little lady said no way! I've never seen her so scared. I think it was more about being in front of 8k people than being scared of the machine itself. But either way, I know where to buy tickets if I want her to have another chance. :lol:

E.L. wrote:
Sounds like a fun experience in Bridgeport. Is it a nice town?

Ha, loaded question! Bridgeport was the per capita murder capital of the US for many years running not too long ago. It still has some seriously sketchy areas. The area right around the arena is undergoing major renovations and economic development. Put it this way; there's a new "upscale brew pub" about 1/4 mile from the rink, and when we passed it my wife asked why there was a bunch of valet guys wearing bright yellow vests, despite the lot only being like 1/2 acre. I laughed and pointed out how many really nice cars were in the lot, and said the guys were probably there more to make sure the nice cars were still there, than to park anyone's car for them. She agreed. We've gone to a lot of Sound Tigers games and we went out to eat in Bridgeport once. Once, as Danny Vermin would say. We stop & eat a few towns away. Arena food is major league expensive & but all the fried crap you'd expect. Are you going to be in Bridgeport sometime soon?
Ha- one of my favorite moments ever at a Sound Tigers game was a guy yelling at them on the PP, while they passed & passed & passed, looking for a perfect shot. He stood up & bellowed "this is Bridgeport. You SHOOT here!" I don't think I've ever heard an entire crowd of people laugh at a sport heckler like that before or since.
My second favorite heckling also happened there, which was my wife yelling at Brodeur about his sister-in-law during an Isles-Devils pre-season game. A few people chuckled at that (including Aaron Asham), but most people fell dead silent as Marty turned around and glared directly at her and gave her the "sit down" motion with his glove. :lol: She stood there asking "what are you going to do?" while I tried to hide. Asham went to the bench & pointed at us while telling what happened. We saw the Islanders laughing & sending the story down the bench. Good times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:41 am 
OTP Historian

Great stuff, Chris :D The zamboni thing is great! My older brother thinks his younger son(4.5 years old) might be scared of skating because of the zamboni.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Great stuff, Chris :D The zamboni thing is great! My older brother thinks his younger son(4.5 years old) might be scared of skating because of the zamboni.

My wife & I were discussing it last night, and she explained to me that if you really think about it, a Zamboni is a pretty scary thing. It's bigger than the average car, drives on ice, CUTS the ice with a huge rotating blade, has a propane tank to heat water... and that seat looks like it's about to fall off the side. I never thought of it that way. :lol: The funny thing is, both my kids have always been fascinated by Zambonis, and the younger one literally said earlier that day at her practice that she really wanted to ride one! I have a feeling it was more about being in front of about 8k people. She had 2 chances and turned them both down. She has no regrets. Today we organized her team playing an intermission game during a Sound Tigers game in November. I told her she was picked to ride the Zamboni! She gave me stink-eye and slowly said "not a chance. Find some other kid." What are our kids for, if it isn't to mess with? :twisted:

Would your nephew skate if he didn't see the Zamboni go around first? Maybe distract him while the ice is cut and then get him out there? Just a thought (which your bro has probably already tried, but sometimes we overlook the obvious). :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 pm 

Zamboni always scared the hell outta me but it was never on the ice at the same time as anyone else except the arena workers who have to move the nets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

My wife & I were discussing it last night, and she explained to me that if you really think about it, a Zamboni is a pretty scary thing. It's bigger than the average car, drives on ice, CUTS the ice with a huge rotating blade, has a propane tank to heat water... and that seat looks like it's about to fall off the side. I never thought of it that way. :lol: The funny thing is, both my kids have always been fascinated by Zambonis, and the younger one literally said earlier that day at her practice that she really wanted to ride one! I have a feeling it was more about being in front of about 8k people. She had 2 chances and turned them both down. She has no regrets. Today we organized her team playing an intermission game during a Sound Tigers game in November. I told her she was picked to ride the Zamboni! She gave me stink-eye and slowly said "not a chance. Find some other kid." What are our kids for, if it isn't to mess with? :twisted:

Would your nephew skate if he didn't see the Zamboni go around first? Maybe distract him while the ice is cut and then get him out there? Just a thought (which your bro has probably already tried, but sometimes we overlook the obvious). :)

Sound Tigers sound really great about the kids stuff!

He actually asks his Dad if the zamboni is going to be on the ice at the same time, which I think is what tipped off my bro. I'm not sure what he's tried so far, but Josh also doesn't like to try stuff that he doesn't already know how to do(even though he picks up things quickly). That's part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 pm 

I will be severely disappointed if Capuano hasn't iced or will never ice a Pulock/Pelech pairing. And they're lefty/righty so it's a definite possibility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next