OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Detroit's over the cap with that lineup? Damn.

Hey, I come in here to read about the Isles, not to be reminded of the Wings!

I'm just happy when ever anyone else ventures in here. Sorry Bosc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So you're ignoring me while posting? Wow. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:04 am 

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/ ... ht-goalies

Isles goalie situation prediction article. I hadn't paid any attention to WC rosters, and didn't realize Greiss & Halak are on the same Team Europe, with 3 goalies. Halak may shank Greiss in the shower to get rid of him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/23/12618694/halak-berube-greiss-islanders-opening-night-goalies

Isles goalie situation prediction article. I hadn't paid any attention to WC rosters, and didn't realize Greiss & Halak are on the same Team Europe, with 3 goalies. Halak may shank Greiss in the shower to get rid of him.

Halak would probably pull a hamstring if he tried to shank someone and be out for six weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/23/12618694/halak-berube-greiss-islanders-opening-night-goalies

Halak would probably pull a hamstring if he tried to shank someone and be out for six weeks.

Oh come on. He'd be out more than 6 weeks if he pulled a hammie. :rimcrash: Jaro Halak= DiPietro 2.0.

Other news- Grabovski is almost certainly not going to be ready for opening night, and at this point, his future career is questionable. :chairshot: But concussions aren't a problem.

Other non-news- Strome remains unsigned. I have a feeling this will be an 11 PM signing, the night before camp starts. Isles beat writer Art Staple has said he thinks it will be a 2 year deal for $4.5 million. Strome is probably looking for a lot more than that, after the deal Cizikas got. I still don't understand that deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 pm 

Isles hire son-of-Lou as new Director of Player Personnel: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/ ... -personnel

A) What does he do?
B) If his father didn't hire him, can he be that good?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:14 pm 

Ho-Sang saying all the right things after BioSteel camp, including changing his on and off-ice preparation. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/ ... ace-seguin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm 

Tavares told yet more TO media that he loves the Isles & to not expect him to sign with the Leafs in 2 years, but to re-sign with the Isles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Tavares has the chance to be big* in New York. Guys in that realm tend to stay around there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 pm 

Isles bringing 5'7", 32 year old Stephen Gionta to camp on a PTO. I am assuming this is only to fill out pre-season split-game rosters with another veteran. I hope. Or maybe send him to Bridgeport? They've already got like 15 forwards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 pm 

Strome has 10 days to sign, or he'll be the 2nd victim of the Wang rule (sign by camp's beginning, or be locked out for the entire year, with no trade or anything. Sean Bergenheim is the only player to test it, and he played in Europe that year). Supposedly the dollar amount has been agreed upon, and it's just term that is holding up Strome's deal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm 

Isles beat writer Art Staple says Grabovski is working out, but not on the ice. The hint is he's not cleared to skate and will wind up on LTIR. In other news, water is wet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 am 

Strome signs a 2 year deal, at $2.5 million/year. Fair deal for both sides. And now all their RFAs are re-signed, and it's time for fans to start yelling at each other over who should be scratched, waived, bought out, traded, shot, or drawn & quartered to get to a 23 man roster. My prediction:

Goalies- Halak, Greiss & Berube. I don't see a move coming, even though all 3 have said they don't really like the 3 goalie system. I think Snow doesn't trust Halak's health, but there isn't a market for him, so why move him for little? I don't think Snow trusts Greiss to play as well as he did in the playoffs long term, so why move anyone? Berube is still unproven, but they keep saying how much they love his work ethic. That's probably to push Halak.

D- Leddy, Hamonic, Boychuk, de Haan, Hickey, Pulock, with Mayfield as the 7th. Pelech is healthy again and played well in his brief time last year, but he's on a 2-way deal, where Mayfield somehow got a 1-way deal. Pulock is better than the other 2 offensively, and with Boychuk struggling last year, they like Pulock's point shot.

Forward- Tavares, Ladd, Parenteau, Lee, Nelson, Strome, Bailey, Kulemin, Prince, Chimera, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, with Quine as the healthy scratch (alternating with Prince?) and Grabovski will start on IR, probably winding up on LTIR.

The Strome signing brings them to about $1.2 million below the cap, but Pelech's $854 will likely be removed when he's sent to Bridgeport, leaving them with $2 million. Possibly another $5 million if/when Grabovski goes to LTIR. They'll miss his creativity on the ice, but if he can't play, that money coming off the cap hit could allow them to make a move for a top 6 winger. Or if Greiss & Berube look promising and someone another team needs a goalie for some reason, Halak could be moved for $4.5 in cap space.

Wish the season was starting sooner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 am 
Big in Japan

Strome ready to take the next step?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Strome ready to take the next step?

Who knows? He went from 50 points to 28. He says he's totally changed his daily routine, his workouts, his preparation... Says last year was tough on him mentally, but he'll come in with a positive attitude and hope for the best.

I think he needs a tougher coach, similar to Josh Bailey. Both coast too often for 1st round picks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Garth needs to make a big move. IMO he should have moved Bailey a while ago when his value was relatively high. The Isles kinda need another star. Right now they have Tavares and a collection of good-not-great players. I've no idea what Strome's ceiling is but obviously the Isles are giving him the "prove it" contract, so they're not quite convinced. You lump in the bust of Griffin Reinhart and the possible bust of Michael Dal Colle and methinks the Brooklyn Islanders are in a bit of a pickle. Ladd is a good player but he ain't quite the talent that Okposo is, and they have a few kinda/sorta brittle players in Grabovski, Hamonic, and de Haan...not to mention effin' Halak.

It's kind of a shame in hindsight Hamonic pulled his trade request. I bet you if he hadn't Garth could've gotten Taylor Hall. Could you imagine Hall/Tavares!?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:30 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Garth needs to make a big move. IMO he should have moved Bailey a while ago when his value was relatively high. The Isles kinda need another star. Right now they have Tavares and a collection of good-not-great players. I've no idea what Strome's ceiling is but obviously the Isles are giving him the "prove it" contract, so they're not quite convinced. You lump in the bust of Griffin Reinhart and the possible bust of Michael Dal Colle and methinks the Brooklyn Islanders are in a bit of a pickle. Ladd is a good player but he ain't quite the talent that Okposo is, and they have a few kinda/sorta brittle players in Grabovski, Hamonic, and de Haan...not to mention effin' Halak.

It's kind of a shame in hindsight Hamonic pulled his trade request. I bet you if he hadn't Garth could've gotten Taylor Hall. Could you imagine Hall/Tavares!?

Jesus Christ. Have you been on Lighthousehockey or something??? All they talk about is Ladd not being Okposo & how Garth blew it by not going Hamonic for Hall. All rumors are that Chiarelli was asking for Hamonic plus prospects (yes, with an s) for Hall. Snow tried to negotiate Nugent-Hopkins into the deal for a blockbuster, and Chiapet said no, continuing to ask for Hamonic plus. When Snow refused, chiapet settled for Larsson, knowing he wasn't going to get his asking price. Plus the Isles weren't going to move Hamonic after he rescinded his request. He's too important a player for them. And he had one serious injury. I wouldn't call him brittle.

dal Colle is going into his first minor league year. I wouldn't call him a bust just yet.

Ladd is supposedly the personality the Isles have needed. Okposo is a very good player (when he's on his feet), but isn't quite a leader. His only leadership moment was when he pummeled Matt Niskanen for hitting Matt Moulson a few years ago in the playoffs. I thought he'd become a real leader after that. He didn't. Ladd is the type who will hold other players responsible (Strome & Bailey are the first ones to come to my mind as needing it), so will supposedly help the team by keeping the other guys on their top game.

Isles have hired Claude Loiselle to their hockey ops department. Not sure what he's doing, but he played for the Isles, in the early 90s, so he must be a glutton for punishment to come back. Actually he was here 91-94, so he was on the team that went to the semi-finals in 93.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Loiselle interviewed for the Habs GM job before Bergevin got it, for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Loiselle interviewed for the Habs GM job before Bergevin got it, for what it's worth.

He was also part of the Leafs' disastrous front office from 2010-2014, for what that's worth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

He was also part of the Leafs' disastrous front office from 2010-2014, for what that's worth.

Yeah, I was avoiding saying that in my original post. :lol: :) :( :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next