OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
I will be severely disappointed if Capuano hasn't iced or will never ice a Pulock/Pelech pairing. And they're lefty/righty so it's a definite possibility.

Don't think he has yet, as Pulock was only called up after Pelech went out with his blood clot. I'm pretty sure they played together in Bridgeport.
But Capuano did have Streit & Strait on at the same time. And he used Nelson & Nielsen together, even with Nilsson in goal. And he had MacDonald on D with McDonald up front at times. The Isles just love to have confusing names. Alternatively, maybe they're trying to help Butch Goring get names right accidentally now & then. He's so bad with names. He has already taken to just calling Beauvillier "Bo" so he doesn't have to get 3 more syllables correct. :lol: And he told Brendan Burke "don't be offended if I call you Howie now & then. Or Jiggs." I was waiting for "Orrr Brian. Sean. Mike. Sven. Anything really."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 am 

Check out Greiss' pads in the first photo: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/10 ... -wfan-deal

Love it! Old Time Hockey!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:51 pm 

Isles waive Mayfield, and send a bunch of guys to Bridgeport who were waiver exempt: Dal Colle, Ho-Sang among them. Forward Ross Johnston and defensemen Devon Toews, Kyle Burroughs, Matthew Finn, Jesse Graham, and goalies Chistopher Gibson and Stephon Williams, all assigned to Bridgeport. Colin Markison & Tanner Fritz released from Islanders PTOs, but they already have Bridgeport contracts. Nothing shocking.

Also released Steve Bernier from a PTO. They can't release Gionta from his because he's injured. I didn't know you couldn't release someone from a PTO while they're injured before.

The questions that remain:
19 year olds Barzal & Beauvillier- will one or both stick? Get a 9 game tryout?
Pelech is almost certain to be sent back to Bridgeport with 7 other d-men and Pulock having the inside track on him.
Three headed goalie monster. No signs of waiving Berube, as the front office continues to say they love how hard he works in practice, which many assume is a shot at Halak.
Eric Boulton is still with the Isles. Why? He's supposed to be in Bridgeport.
Graboski is on IR- will he hit LTIR and free up cap space?
Prince is hurt, but nobody knows the severity. That may help one of the kids get the 9 game tryout. Or both?
There are still way too many guys for a 23 man roster. Quine or Prince due for waivers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Are the Isles that close to the cap where they'd have to use LTIR space?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Are the Isles that close to the cap where they'd have to use LTIR space?

I had to look today because I didn't believe it. According to GeneralFanager, they New York Islanders, of the National Hockey League, in fact have the FOURTH highest payroll in the NHL at this time. I know right??? Sounds insane. Detroit & Pittsburgh are actually over the cap at this time, so they'll be dropping down soon, one way or another. But the Isles at this time have a hair over $783k in cap space. They still have too many players too. With that mere $783k in cap space they have 13 forwards, 8 D and 3 goalies, which comes out to 24 players. Adam Pelech & Ryan Pulock don't need waivers, and Pulock has the inside track on the top 7 D, so Pelech & his $854k are almost certain to be sent down. If it's in fact Pulock (it won't be), then they shave another $10k off the cap.

But wait, there's more! They still have both Barzal & Beauvillier in camp. Barzal started camp as the guy most likely to make it out of camp, but Beauvillier has really impressed with his relentless forechecking and backchecking, and has earned higher praise from Capuano (Gritz factor). They've compared Beauvillier's current skillset to being another Casey Cizikas, which the organization obviously thinks highly of considering his ridiculous contract, with the ability to be the next Franz Nielsen in a few years. So Beauvillier may stick around for up to 9 games. The feeling is that Barzal has a higher ceiling, but that's why they may give him another year back in juniors, to hone his skills more. Either way, the cost would be $894k for either kid, so slightly more than the Pelech contract they'd be sending down. But either kid would only be able to stay if someone else is IRed along with Grabovski, or waived (Quine?), traded for picks/prospects, a quantity for quality trade, or something more creative than I can add to this list. And Steven Gionta is still technically on his PTO because he was injured on the first shift the other night vs the Rangers, and you can't cut a guy who is injured. I expected him to head to Bridgeport if anything. Nobody expects him to make the Isles.

Fans are, of course, looking for the Isles to cherry pick another good player from a cap strapped team, without checking to see the Isles' cap situation. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:11 am 
Big in Japan

Parenteau on waivers. Hm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:26 am 

E.L. wrote:
Parenteau on waivers. Hm.

Fans have mixed feelings on it. One the one hand, he had great chemistry with Tavares years ago, and had 20 goals last year, so they just may have lost a good winger they'd signed on the cheap. On the other hand, he is slower than turds roll uphill, and Tavares & Ladd aren't exactly fleet of foot, so the first line was looking like cold molasses. They are apparently going to give Barzal & Beauvillier at least a 9 game tryout. I agree that both earned it, and Ho-Sang is supposed to be the first call-up, but I'm not sure this is the best way to make room for the kids. Putting the injured Prince on IR might have been a lot better, as the 2 kids are going to play in his spot anyway during their 9 game tryouts, and removing a veteran presence reduces the "padding" for the kids not performing well. He's almost certain to be claimed on that contract. But Isles fans who were at practices & pre-season games felt Parenteau was slow during all drills & games. I don't recall seeing him in any of the pre-season games I watched. I don't know if that means he didn't play or was that invisible. :lol:

As of now, he hasn't been claimed. 4.5 hours to go... It's a shame, because he was always really good against the Rangers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:05 am 

Isles rumors:
Shane Prince to start year on IR with a lower body injury.
Eric Boulton also to hit IR. What. The. Fuck? I thought he was Bridgeport-bound when they signed him! He's on a 2-way contract! Why the hell would you want him on the roster? Ug.

As it stands now:

Ladd-JT-Strome
Lee-Nelson-Beauvillier
Bailey-Barzal-Kulemin
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine as the healthy scratch.
Grabovski, Prince, Boulton on IR.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock
Seidenberg as the healthy scratch
(Mayfield already cleared waivers, Pelech doesn't need waivers)

Halak
Greiss
Berube as the healthy scratch.

Lines/pairings not necessarily realistic. I just wrote them out to help remember who they have. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:37 pm 

Parenteau claimed by the Devils. And like that, Snow's best off-season signing (terms taken into account) is now on a division rival. There had to be a better move than waiving Parenteau. He's not great, but for that money and just a single year they should have kept him and waived Chimera who has another year and another $1 million per year on his contract, but will likely put up the same or fewer points. Parenteau always tortured the Rangers, who let him walk. Now he may do the same to the Isles.

This move gives the Isles $2,033,525 in cap space, but that's before adding the $894,166 each for Barzal and Beauvillier, which leaves them with $245,193 in cap space. That is of course before Grabovski gets LTIR, which allows them to spend another $5 million. But that of course brings up the question- why did they need to waive Parenteau to begin with? His return was touted as such a happy one. The Isles site even had video of him skating on the Isles' practice ice with his 2 year old son all decked out in Isles gear, and PA talking about how happy he was to be back. Very odd stuff here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm 

So now they've sent Pulock & Pelech down. Seems it's simply because he doesn't require waivers and can be brought back up if/when one of Barzal or Beauvillier are sent down to juniors, but this is really stupid. Now they've only got 6 D on the roster, including several who are injuries waiting to happen. This season looked to be promising. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:05 pm 

Well, the Isles do have the advantage of calling up players since their affiliate is super-close. And cap savings are cap savings, so...

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-york-islanders

And according to this the Isles have about $2 million in projected cap space. That can change of course. The one downside of having a lot of young cheap talent on the roster is bonus overages.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:32 pm 

They have about $2 million in cap space- until you add Barzal & Beauvillier, who each make $894k. I had this all 2 posts above yours. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:16 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
They have about $2 million in cap space- until you add Barzal & Beauvillier, who each make $894k. I had this all 2 posts above yours. :lol:

Ah, shut it...I never read your posts. :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:06 am 

Ah, Barzal and Beauvillier are basically the end result of the Griffin Reinhart trade. Interesting.

https://www.nhl.com/news/islanders-trad ... s/c-772442

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:45 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ah, shut it...I never read your posts. :geek:

Nobody does. :(

And yes, Barzal & Beauvillier are from Reinhart. Great move by Snow. As long as they pan out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm 

Updating for opening night:

As it stands now:

Ladd-JT-Chimera
Lee-Nelson-Beauvillier
Prince-Strome-Bailey
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine and Barzal as the healthy scratches. What the fuck is going on here?
Grabovski, Boulton on IR.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Seidenberg
(Mayfield already cleared waivers, Pelech doesn't need waivers, and neither does Pulock, but for some reason the geniuses in the front office think it's a good idea to roll just 6 d-men going into the season, despite all the guys who play on the right side being injury prone in the last year or two. Fucking brilliant!)

Halak
Greiss
Berube as the healthy scratch.

Line pairings via the practice lines on Tuesday, which have fans freaking the fuck out. I guess they don't want to play Barzal & Beauvillier on the same nights to start with, so they'll rotate them? Boulton is still on the Isles??? I thought he was destined for Bridgeport when he signed a 2-way deal. Gionta is still technically on his PTO, since he got hurt in a pre-season game. If they sign him fans are going to storm Snow's office.

Parenteau said he'd bought Islanders jerseys for his kid, and threw them in the garbage after being waived. I don't really get that move. I've heard of Sign & Trade, but Sign & Waive? WTF? Standard answer- because... Islanders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6