OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Think I did some of this already, but who cares? I'm bored/annoyed today.

UFAs-
F- Okposo, Nielsen, Martin.
Okposo supposedly wants like $7 million/year, so I think his days as an Islander are done. Someone will give it to him. I'm not sure he's worth it. He has great potential, but after 8+ years in the NHL, nobody should be talking about your potential. He's very streaky, and maybe the right coach could level that out on the right side.

Nielsen- underappreciated 2-way center. Hope the Isles keep him. He's great in the shootout, which can help you get points to make the playoffs, where he'll help shut down an opposing forward, or score for you.

Martin- hits leader 5 straight years. He knows he's got to hit to stay in the league, but he's also not bad for a 4th liner, with 10 goals this year. Makes a great line with Cizikas & Clutterbuck, so I hope he stays.

D- Zidlicky. Thanks, but Ryan Pulock is a younger, better version of you.
Strait- I actually hope the door does hit you in the ass.

RFA
F-
Cizikas- Great 4th line center. Plays his ass off every game.
Strome- scratched a few times for his "play away from the puck". He & Capuano don't seem to get along for some reason. The kid has talent and vision. I'd like to see him stick around and Capuano go.
Prince- underrated deadline acquisition by Snow. The kid is quick & has a decent shot.
Quine- probably brought back on a 2-way deal, with a good shot at making the team out of camp. He filled in admirably for injured forwards.

D
Mayfield- had a great 2 games last year vs the Caps after de Haan was hurt. He may be brought back and have a good shot at cracking the Isles lineup. A lot depends on what happens with Hamonic. Probably gets a 2-way deal.

G
Berube- small sample size, but he was very good when called upon. He could wind up being Greiss' backup, since Greiss made Halak & all his injuries expendable down the stretch. Maybe if they move Halak, they have the $ to keep Okposo?
Christopher Gibson- pretty good AHL goalie. Probably re-signed to a 2-way deal.

They've got a bunch of AHL UFAs & RFAs. Not bothering with most of them. Quine and Gibson mentioned because they played a few games with the Isles, and Quine had the huge 2OT winner vs Florida.

Post subject: Re: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Are you comfortable with Griess starting next season?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Are you comfortable with Griess starting next season?

I think so. He was as good as Halak, and actually more steadying than Halak can be. Halak makes those bad plays behind the net and gets stuck back there. Greiss doesn't handle the puck as often but he doesn't cause those 5 seconds of "what the hell is he doing???" every game, that often lead to turnovers and scoring chances. He's just, steadying...

I think the bigger question is if Berube can maintain his good play as a regular backup. I think he'll be okay.

And Halak made it clear he hated the 3 goalie system. I'd say it's here to stay, unless he isn't. I don't see them trading Greiss when he makes $1.5. Maybe if they get a decent offer for Berube, which I doubt, they'll move him instead. But they could save $4.5 million for 2 years by moving Halak. With how often he's hurt, it might not be that much of a change.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:06 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Snow's biggest offseason yet. He's gotta get good value for Hamonic and somehow either pay for or replace Okposo. Then there's the question of Capuano.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:29 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Snow's biggest offseason yet. He's gotta get good value for Hamonic and somehow either pay for or replace Okposo. Then there's the question of Capuano.

Okposo was asked today during clean outs if his agent & Snow have talked. He said not yet. That doesn't sound good. But I don't see how Okposo can expect the rumored $6-7 million he wants when he struggled to reach 20 goals. If he had 30-40, I could see that price. He's not as physical as he used to be, and he's only 27. It's not like he's getting fragile. I guess he wanted to make sure he stayed healthy this year, but I thought his contract year was going to be incredible to watch. Flashes, but not that great.

Capuano. I don't know what to think about him. There are days I think he's good enough, and days I want his head to roll. He seems so clueless sometimes. When the Lightning scored the first goal in Game 5, he just looked down at his feet, like he knew it was over. Come on man! That's when a good coach rallies his team! Get them fired up!

Hamonic was quoted yesterday saying he loves being an Islander. Nobody directly asked if was going to rescind his trade request, hopefully out of respect for his privacy, but I wonder if that sentence hints that he'll drop the request. Matt Martin also said he loves being an Islander, hinting that he hopes to re-sign.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 22m22 minutes ago
Breaking #Isles news: Travis Hamonic has rescinded his trade request, Newsday has learned. More to follow.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 22m22 minutes ago
Breaking #Isles news: Travis Hamonic has rescinded his trade request, Newsday has learned. More to follow.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

YES YES YES!

He confirmed that it was a family member's health situation that caused the request, but said their condition has stabilized. Says he wants to stay here and win a Cup with the Isles. :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 am 

Greiss off to play for Germany in the Worlds.
Nelson to play for USA.
Kulemin turned down Russia's invitation. He's supposedly been playing hurt and needs time off.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am 

Glad Greiss learned this lesson in a win for Germany, and not with the Isles. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/5/ ... -long-goal
:lol:

The Isles all went out for a steak dinner after clean-out day, with Matt Martin picking up the tab. It doesn't surprise me considering Martin is such a good team guy, but there are guys who literally make 6-times his salary who could have at least chipped in. I just hope it wasn't his going away party as well.

Rumor is Okposo isn't "as" concerned with AAV as he is with term. Isles already have a few players with long term contracts, so they don't want to go too long with him. He's 28. Even if they gave him an 8 year deal at a lower rate, that takes him until 36, which is probably about when you'd really want to get rid of him. He's had a 0.7 ppg throughout his career, with a 0.81 ppg this past year. Who are they going to replace that with? I keep going back & forth on hoping they keep him or let him go for the terms he wants. Someone will give him a big 7 year deal if he hits the market.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

They are going to have to pay up for Tavares sooner than later but they do have some contracts that come of the books at the right time for that. Still have to consider that when signing other players today as it will be a big price coming up in the next two years and so it should be.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
They are going to have to pay up for Tavares sooner than later but they do have some contracts that come of the books at the right time for that. Still have to consider that when signing other players today as it will be a big price coming up in the next two years and so it should be.

Yeah, that year they have Bailey, Kulemin & Grabovski coming off the payroll. Grabovski may not play again. Way too many concussions. Damn shame. He's a good player.

Howie Rose announced today that he is going to just do the Mets games from now on, no more Islanders games. :toot: :Butch: I hadn't realized he's been doing it for 21 years, but I've pretty much hated him the entire time. He's awful and I'm glad to see him go.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:43 pm 

Halak having sports hernia surgery, now that the pulled groin has healed. Why wait so damn long?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:42 am 

Isles beat writer Arthur Staple hinting the Isles are going to let Okposo walk without so much as an offer, and will likely float a 7 year, $70 million offer to Stamkos, hoping he'd like to play with his old friend Tavares. I don't know. Both are Captains, both are first line centers, both wear 91, and 19 isn't available on the Isles... Slightly minor details, but they could add up to him not wanting anything to do with the Isles. Ladd would supposedly be Snow's 2nd choice. The other big thing is, they'd have to pony up similar money to Tavares in 2 years, and would then be in Chicago-like cap Hell. Plus, I just can't see Stamkos coming to the Isles.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm 
OTP Historian

The Stamkos move would seem like something the other NY team would normally do with Sather in charge. However, I don't know if I see it this time unless they unload some salary.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I think Stamkos to the Islanders is not a bad fit actually. Though paying anyone ten per with term is a scary prospect then add the issues he has faced that last couple of years...worrisome.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:10 pm 
Big in Japan

I still envision the Rags somehow finding a taker for Nash and signing Stammer.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I feel like if the Isles try for Stamkos it'll be Kovalchuk/Parise in NJ all over again. The flashier talent ends up being an injury-riddled disappointment, and the fallout costs them the more reliable player.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
I feel like if the Isles try for Stamkos it'll be Kovalchuk/Parise in NJ all over again. The flashier talent ends up being an injury-riddled disappointment, and the fallout costs them the more reliable player.

I get the flashier talent thing but injury riddled replacement? Nash has played 69-75-60 the past 3 seasons. Stamkos is 5 years younger than Nash too. Parise himself hasn't been the picture of perfect health at 67-74-70.

Speaking of.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rang ... ble-trade/

Quote:
“You’re going to hear a lot of wild rumours this year George, I think this is going to be a crazy season for them and one of the first to hit is Rick Nash of the New York Rangers,” Friedman said. “He has a 12-team list that he can be dealt to and there seems to be a little bit of smoke to this one. I think they’ve been asked. I think they’d be willing to do it under the right circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:46 am 

Bosc- Av was talking about the Isles losing Tavares if they sign Stamkos. Not the Rangers losing Nash over signing Stamkos. Wrong NY team! :lol:

The one thing that makes it slightly more promising: Tavares & Stamkos are very good friends. They played together as kids & have always kept in touch. Also, the Isles have Pelech, who went through the exact thing Stamkos did, as did Pelech's brother, so they have some knowledge of the issues involved. I guess that's 2 things... Sue me.

I doubt it'll happen.

Still hearing Snow hasn't even contacted Okposo's agent. That's just stupid. You at least see what he wants to stay. If Stamkos re-signs with the Bolts, Snow will have royally pissed off one of the next best UFAs, who had has left out in the cold while he could be the sole negotiator for his services. Could be a very bad move long term. Risky shit to start with, in what is the biggest off-season of Snow's GM career.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:07 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc- Av was talking about the Isles losing Tavares if they sign Stamkos. Not the Rangers losing Nash over signing Stamkos. Wrong NY team! :lol:

Whoops :lol: