D- Zidlicky, Strait
G- none.

RFAs:
F- Cizikas, Strome
D- none
G- Berube

Trade request:
D- Hamonic.

Okposo leads the team with 41 points in 48 games, 1 more point in 1 more game than Tavares. If you're going to move him, it HAS to be for someone who is a major player. He's 27 and has been one of their best players for a few years. Dal Colle may replace him next year, but with the team currently in a playoff position, it would be dumb to move him for futures. It would also be dumb to let him walk for free July 1st. He may get an offer, but I doubt it'll be the $6-7 million/year he supposedly wants.

Nielsen is 3rd with 33 points, and is a hell of a defensive player. It won't help in the playoffs, but he's also the league's most prolific scorer in the SO, so he'll help you get to the playoffs with SO goals. He's 31 and currently makes only $2.75 million. I expect he'd want a raise to more like $4-5 million, like Kulemin gets. I don't think they can afford to give it to him though.

Martin- 26 years old, 1/3 of the so called "best 4th line in hockey". He's got 5 G, 5 A in 51 games, to go along with 77 PIM. He leads the league in hits every year. How do you not keep him around? Currently makes $1.3, with a cap hit of $1. Probably would take $1.5 for 3 years. Maybe?

Bernier- 30 years old, healthy scratch almost all year. 1G & 2 A in 15 games. Makes $750k. Probably worth keeping as a backup plan to calling up a kid. Let him go whenever.

Zidlicky & Strait- I can't be bothered with stats on these guys. Let them go for anything you can get in return, which probably won't be much. And that's fine. Give Pulock, Mayfield or Pelech a real chance.

Cizikas- 24 years old. $1 million. I thought he was older. He's a great spark plug, and fits nicely between Martin & Clutterbuck. But he's probably replaceable if he's going to cost more than $1.75 million.

Strome- 22 years old, makes $833k. He's going to get a major raise, as he should. Probably into the Nelson area of $2.5 million/year. He really struggled early on, but is now a hair below 0.5 ppg. Kid has vision.

Berube- very interesting. He's 24 and makes $565k. Hard to let that cheap insurance go, but it also sucks to carry 3 goalies. I don't see him passing through waivers, but I don't remember if the Kings get a chance to claim him if he's traded, nullifying the trade. I read that somewhere else but don't recall it's validity. I think I asked that recently. Oh well. He's a really good goalie, but the 3 headed monster so rarely works. But Halak's health doesn't either. Greiss has been really good, so it's not easy to move him in favor of Berube being the backup. Greiss is near his highest # games played already, so Berube is good to have around. But 3 goalies long term sounds like a nightmare.

Then there's still Hamonic & his trade request. 3+ more years left on his team friendly deal. Byfuglien is off the block (thank god!), as is Phaneuf (also good!). Does that further limit potential trading partners, or does it make teams looking for a D-man willing to pay more since their other potential targets have new homes? Only GMs know. All I know is they need a quality NHL player for him, who won't break the bank. Edmonton has a bunch of good young forwards and fits his western Canada bill. Trouba supposedly wants big $, but would send Hamonic home to Winnipeg where he really wants to be. But he has no say in the matter, since he doesn't have a no trade clause. Just a hand shake from Snow that he'll try to send him where he wants. The move may not happen this year, since he's helping the team big time. I'd wait until the draft. Let him give the rest of the year to the Isles, and maybe he somehow changes his mind if they go deep in the playoffs. I think they pull off the series vs the Caps if they had him last year. But they didn't. As of now they'd play the Rangers in the first round, and he'd surely help vs them.

Isles needs: Reliable D-man to replace Hamonic if he's moved. Anyone to replace Zidlicky and/or Strait. Top line winger, like all teams could use. No goalies please.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bob McKenzie says Hamonic, Nielsen & Okposo are all likely to remain Islanders through the season since Snow's focus is on a) making the playoffs, and b) making a splash in the playoffs. Snow isn't necessarily against moving them, but would pretty much have to be blown away with an offer. As far as re-signing Nielsen or Okposo, supposedly Snow knows it's unlikely he'll be able to re-sign Okposo, but would then use the $ on the table for another UFA, so it's not necessarily "letting a guy walk for free" as 99.9% of people view expiring contracts. At least, if you're in the playoff picture. If Okposo helps them make a good run, it's worth it. Makes some sense. If they fall out of the playoff picture, or pull the usual 1 & done, it's not worth it. But whose crystal ball is working today? Not mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 am 
Big in Japan

Gotta go fer it. Sure, the Caps are running away with the division, but the Isles can beat the Rags.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:51 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Gotta go fer it. Sure, the Caps are running away with the division, but the Isles can beat the Rags.

Agreed on all.

Isles beat the Kings 5-2 last night, albeit with Enroth in net. Goals continue to come from all lines.

Hurricanes tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:42 pm 
Big in Japan

How about: Hamonic, Okposo, two first-rounders (or Dal Colle and a first) for Stamkos the rental.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
How about: Hamonic, Okposo, two first-rounders (or Dal Colle and a first) for Stamkos the rental.

But Stamkos is going to the Leafs. As is Tavares, according to TSN. They're some funny fuckers.

Yzerman said Stamkos isn't being traded, which of course tells us all he'll be gone ASAP. But it doesn't look like the Isles will trade Hamonic this year. I'd say it's more likely to be a draft day deal.
As for Okposo- why trade your leading point guy when you're in a playoff spot? Snow has supposedly been on record saying he doesn't view UFAs leaving as letting them walk for nothing, as it frees up $ to go after another UFA. If Okposo really wants like $7 million/year, he's as good as gone. Unless the Cap suddenly jumps way up, which given the Canadian dollar situation seems every unlikely. So he's probably gone, but I'd say on July 1st. Or maybe they can move him a week or two before that, so some team can have exclusive negotiating rights before July 1st.
As for Dal Colle- I think they have him pegged as Okposo's wing replacement, so I certainly don't see them packaging those 2 together.

And if the Isles can't afford Okposo, they certainly can't afford Stamkos.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm 

People are so funny. They can rarely appreciate what they've got. Isles fans are clamoring for Snow to trade Okposo for Ladd. Ladd is 3 years older, makes $1.6 million more (both are UFAs this year), has 2 less goals and 12 less assists that Okposo, in 3 more games played. So this is an upgrade in what way? "He's the top line winger Tavares needs!" How? "because he'll have better chemistry with Tavares than Okposo." How? "chirp chirp."

At least when it was Hamonic for Ladd rumors, I got it a little bit. Hamonic wants to be near Winnipeg for personal reasons. But Okposo? Why move him? "Because he'll be a UFA! They can't let him walk for nothing!" And trading for Ladd, who would also be unlikely to re-sign with them, that makes sense how? "Well he'd be a rental. It's okay to let a rental go after the season." Why isn't it okay to let a guy you've had for years go after the season? "Because you'd be letting him walk for nothing!" How about the 7 years he played for you? "Well, that's not a rental, is it?" No. It's more than the average NHL career. Can't you use the money you save on his contract to pay a new UFA, like someone else will presumably do with Okposo? "Well, you can't let him walk for nothing!" Mhmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think Ladd and Boedker will be the big free agent signings the teams who land them will most regret.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:23 am 

Snow is supposedly talking about Parenteau coming back to the Isles. Also talking about Boedker, for a Danish connection.

Snow has kept quiet as usual, but is reportedly not going to deal any top prospects or 1st round picks.

Hamonic's agent said recently he doesn't foresee a deal this year.

5:38 to go...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Did PAP play with Tavares when he was an Islander?

My guess is the Leafs want to try and squeeze a second rounder in one of the next two drafts out of PAP.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:05 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Less than 2 hours to go and only one trade. The suspense builds. :munch:

Pretty boring so far, but then I have been busy at work and have not really followed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Rags landed Staal. Will the Isles feel the pressure to match them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Rags landed Staal. Will the Isles feel the pressure to match them?

The Isles don't typically follow Ranger acquisitions. Thank the hockey gods for that!

But I can see Snow pulling something out of his hat in the next hour. Even if it's just for a depth forward. Grabovski is too fragile and Bernier is okay but not playoff good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:47 pm 

Hardly a big splash- Isles send this year's 3rd rounder to Ottawa for Senators' 7th & LW Shane Price.

42 GP, 3G, 9A, 6 PIM. Defensive forward? I know nothing about him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:10 am 

Isles traded Taylor Beck to the Avs for Marc-Andre Cliche.

Beck was part of the Michael Grabner haul from the Leafs. He appeared in 2 games for the Isles earlier this year, with 0 points and 2 PIM. 16 Goals, 17 Assists in 47 games in Bridgeport.

Cliche has played NHL games with the Kings & Avs. 151 games, 3 goals, 11 Assits, 34 PIM. Unless this is a "veteran presence" move for Bridgeport, I don't get it. Seems Beck had better numbers in the AHL than Cliche. Strange.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not much I can say about Cliche. He was a waiver wire pickup and played a decent 4th line role when the Avs had their "resurgence" a couple seasons back. Definitely looked outmatched last year though when he was forced back into regular service when Jesse Winchester got concussed. Got waived and sent down before the start of this season and from what I hear has been good for San Antonio. Not a terrible emergency call-up in the event of injury and can play 4th line/PK pretty well but not much beyond that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:04 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Not much I can say about Cliche. He was a waiver wire pickup and played a decent 4th line role when the Avs had their "resurgence" a couple seasons back. Definitely looked outmatched last year though when he was forced back into regular service when Jesse Winchester got concussed. Got waived and sent down before the start of this season and from what I hear has been good for San Antonio. Not a terrible emergency call-up in the event of injury and can play 4th line/PK pretty well but not much beyond that.

I'm just confused because Beck's numbers are way better in the AHL, where Cliche is obviously headed. I guess maybe Snow wanted another callup with NHL experience? Maybe it'll be a way to further mentor the kids in Bridgeport, although I thought that's what Carkner was there for.