OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 am 
Big in Japan

Delighted to see Berube make a name for himself. The only time I saw the Montreal Juniors in person he was in nets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Delighted to see Berube make a name for himself. The only time I saw the Montreal Juniors in person he was in nets.

I'm happy for him. I just wish the fucking offense would remember how to score!

Isles-Flyers tonight. Isles are only 5 points ahead of the Flyers, who I thought were dead in the water 2 weeks ago. Isles are now 3 points behind both the Rangers & Penguins, though with 2 games in hand on each. But they have to win those games. If they'd played that Jan 23rd game on that date, the Flyers were terrible and the Isles would most likely have won. Now that game is April 10th, and the Flyers are surging and the Isles are struggling. Could come back to kill the Isles, where I was hoping it would be to decide home ice vs the Rangers. Yes, I'm in full panic mode. :lol: Fuck this team. They are incredibly under performing. Capuano changes the lines more than he picks his nose during games, which is a lot. How about some consistency, shit for brains?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Snow might regret standing pat at the deadline. Parenteau could've helped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Snow might regret standing pat at the deadline. Parenteau could've helped.

Maybe, maybe not. Ryan Pulock is a way better d-man than Brian Strait in every zone, yet Capuano is going with Strait for the 2nd straight game, just days after saying how impressed he was with Pulock, and how he's only going to get better in every game he plays. The man doesn't use logic when making out the lineup. I think he uses a dartboard, with photos of players instead of numbers. "Oh yeah, that ain't our best lineup, but it'll do. Wicked good!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm 
Big in Japan

It seems like every team has a veteran or two they can't shake. NHL coaches are such creatures of comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, even Babcock and Quenneville can play favorites with some players to an insanely frustrating degree.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Snow ends up firing Cap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:48 am 

4-1 loss to the Flyers. I've passed through panic & entered "fuck it. I wonder how the Yankees look" mode. :chairshot:
This team forgets how offensively talented they are.

Capuano was made the coach because he's "so good with young players". Is he??? Lee, Nelson & Strome have all had major slumps this year. Nelson has streaks where he has luck like he's got a leprechaun on each shoulder, and then times when he can't hit the side of a barn. He was a healthy scratch in Nashville the other night and scored the next game vs Dallas. In my opinion, that was a really lucky shot. He was -4 in a 4-1 loss vs the Flyers. Strome has looked utterly clueless for really long stretches this year. Sophomore slump for the ages.

In my opinion, the main reason Capuano is still around is because most GMs get to hire/fire 1 coach. Snow has already fired Nolan, Gordon & used Brad Shaw as interim without retaining him. He's done a very good job assembling the team, but needs a better coach. With new owners coming in, can he live through firing another coach? On the flip side, can he live through new owners coming in to see him sitting steadfast with a coach who can't get a very talented team through the first round, or at this point, INTO a playoff spot? He went months without changing the lines, no matter how games were going. Now it's like a fucking game of pickup sticks every 3rd shift. Who is Tavares' wing this shift? "Eh, how about Matty Mahhtin? Wicked good!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:14 am 

Senators at Isles tonight. Berube & Pulock in for Greiss & Strait respectively. I don't mind Berube playing, and I'm psyched to see Pulock over Strait. Well, I'd be happy to see a labradoodle over Strait, but that's another story for another time.

Isles really need this one. 2 points ahead of Philly with 1 game in hand. 3 behind the Penguins with 1 game in hand, 5 behind the Rangers with 2 in hand. Not a good spot. Needs improvement, big time tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:36 am 

3 quick goals in the 2nd period. I thought they were going to whoop the Sens at that point, but they squeaked out a 3-1 win. Berube was really good again. Considering he has barely played all year, he's looking very good. It's not easy to stay in game shape when you're in your 5th game of the year in late March. He was very highly touted in the AHL. I'm wondering about a Greiss/Berube tandem next year, and they move Halak in the off-season. He's got 1 year left on his contract, as does Greiss. Berube is an RFA this year.

Isles goals from Tavares, Martin and Nelson. Martin's was a deflection of Hamonic's shot.

Have to hope the Avs beat Philly tonight and the Devils can beat Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:44 pm 

Well, Avs will be missing both Duchene AND MacKinnon, so...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Well, Avs will be missing both Duchene AND MacKinnon, so...

That's an opportunity for others to step up and show what they've got! Come on now. Positive thoughts!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 am 

Huge win by NJ over the Pens last night. Isles now trail the Pens by 1 point with a game in hand. Phucking Philly managed to pull out a big win when trailing 2-1 with like 5 minutes to go. Damned pumpkin looking bastards.

Isles at Tampa tonight. Pens are idle. With a win the Isles would hop back into third, and put both PA teams into WC positions. All 3 of those teams will have 9 games left after tonight, with the Isles & Phucking Philly playing in game 82, the make up game which I'll be at. Back then it didn't seem important, and it certainly didn't seem like Philly were good.

Isles remaining schedule:
3/25 at Tampa
3/26 at Carolina

3/29 vs Carolina (who play the Devils on the 27th)
3/31 vs Clumbus
4/2 vs Pittsburgh!
4/4 vs Tampa (I hadn't realized they play 2 more times)
4/5 at Capitals

4/7 at Rangers
Haha- gotta love the NHL site- the schedule stops there!
4/9 vs Sabres
4/10 vs Phucking Philly

10 games- 3 sets of back-to-backs. Ouch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07 am 

:downsowned: by the Lightning. It was like both coaches said "fuck D tonight, just see how many you can score!" 7-4 loss to the Lightning, with the 7th being an empty netter by Hedman from just in front of his own goal line. Backhander too. Greiss did not look good. I don't see the Bolts enough to know if this is their normal offensive style, but they kept shooting low from Greiss' left and had someone in the slot to the right to bang in the rebound. It always amazes me that I can see something on TV & realize it's a team's MO, at least for that game, and players & coaches who get paid millions don't realize it or defend against it. I'm certainly not claiming to be better than them, but for fuck's sake, it was lather, rinse, repeat...

And Strahlman broke his leg in the first period, so the Bolts only had 5 D for almost the entire game. Did the Isles dump & chase, and hit the D-men to wear them out? No! For once they tried to carry the puck over the blueline all game long. Are you fucking kidding? This is beer league simple strategy! If you see the other team are short on D, you work to wear them out. Not make them work less. Fucktarded.

Canes tonight. Hoping for a better result.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:38 am 

Clusterfuck with the game tying goal 30 seconds into the 3rd period and the game winner with 14 seconds to go in OT. True, the OT winner was a flipping puck that would have gone high/wide, but it luckily hit a Cane and went in. :rock: Phucking Philly lost, so the Isles are 4 points up on them, both with 8 games remaining.

Isles kept pace with the Penguins, who play the Rangers today. I have to hope the Rangers win??? I feel dirty. Oh, so dirty. Isles have little chance of catching the Rangers, so they might as well beat the Pens so the Isles have an easier time of catching them. No 3 point game please!

Berube looked good again. Small sample size, but there are rumors the Isles are thinking of trying to move Halak after the season & have a tandem of Greiss & Berube next year. Halak is injury prone, but when he's on he's better than either of those guys. And in Berube's case, it could well be a case of rookie luck, and teams will figure out his weakness soon. Hopefully not.

2 days off, and then they play the Canes again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 am 

Penguins beat the Rangers in OT, putting the Rangers 6 points ahead of the Isles and the Penguins 3 points ahead. Fucking Rangers can't even win when I want them to? Fuck those guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:01 pm 

Canes at Isles tonight. Should be a good one.

Adam Pelech has returned from a mysterious illness that was threatening his career according to some sources. He's practicing with the team & may get a conditioning stint in Bridgeport.

Eamon MadAdam's Penn State team is out of the NCAA tournament, so the goalie is on his way to Bridgeport. He'll forego his senior year and play for the Sound Tigers. Kyle Schemmp is doing the same.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:54 am 

Isles & Penguins both win in shootouts vs weaker teams. Still 3 points between Isles & Penguins with the Isles having a game in hand. But now they've got 1 less game to make up that difference. Sigh. WC1, here they come.

Greiss looked good. Bailey should be benched for the giveaway on the 1 goal allowed. Tavares needs to be banned from shootouts. That "move" is so tired it's amazing. All the players on both teams complained about the ice conditions after the game. What does the Captain do for his shootout "move"? Skate in at a snail's pace, overhandling the puck, and literally skates right up to Ward, who lazily poke-checked it away and looked up at Tavares as if to say "seriously dude? You're a Hart Trophy caliber player, and THAT's your move? Been the same all season long."

Clumbus on Thursday. Big win if they get it, horrible loss if they don't. Getting close to the usual 94 point playoff threshold.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 am 

Kind of ironic how some elite scorers can be downright horrid at the shootout, and some otherwise useless grinders excel at it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:11 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Kind of ironic how some elite scorers can be downright horrid at the shootout, and some otherwise useless grinders excel at it.

Yep. The "skate in at a snail's pace and try to make moves until the goalie falls asleep" thing worked like twice early in the year & he can't get it out of his head. He used to be okay in the SO, but he just keeps trying this stupid thing. It hasn't worked in months. Fucking stop it! And Capuano needs to either tell him to stop it or not use him in the SO. Points are too important to let him keep trying this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 pm 

Huge win over the Blue Jackets. Blew a 3-1 lead over the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and first 30 seconds of the third, but came out with 2 big points.

Penguins won to keep pace, but the Rangers lost. Suddenly they are 2 points behind the Rangers with a game in hand. Saturday's game vs the Penguins should be fun.

Video of Hartnell hitting Hamonic: https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/hamon ... /169968288
Of course, Isles fans are going insane that Hartnell went knee to knee on purpose. I don't think so. But no matter what, this could be really bad for the Isles. 2 straight years of Hamonic missing the playoffs??? Capuano was asked if Hamonic was hurt or injured. He replied that Hamonic is "tough" and always plays out a game when "hurt". Oh boy. Re-evaluated today of course. I have a feeling we're looking at the dreaded LBI, with an indefinite IR listing. :fffffuck:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next