OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Regular season thread!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:12 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I can't be bothered with individual GDTs.

Game 1 in hipsterlyn. Halak rumored to be out, with Greiss going tonight in the home opener and waiver claim JF Berube going tomorrow in Chicago for game 2 of the back-to-back. Not sure who Chicago will go with yet.

Isles lines:

Lee-JT-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson-Grabovski-Kulemin
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Press box- Bernier. Practicing with team but not officially signed: Eric Boulton. I have no idea what they see in this guy.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
third pairing is a question, but probably Strait-Zidlicky. I would really prefer Pulock-Zidlicky. I'd also prefer my dog over Strait, but Capuano loves Strait. Or Strait has video of Capuano and Snow in drag. The reason I keep hearing is that Ziklicky & Pulock both play the right side while Strait & Hickey play the left. Is the NHL really going with relief pitcher type bullshit? Are there any stats to back up decisions like this? That D-men are far superior on their stick side? I can't believe this is a real thing.
IR- Hickey. Most likely Pulock in the press box, even though everyone on the planet besides Capuano knows it should be Strait.

Greiss
Berube
Press box- Halak (day to day)

GO ISLES!

All this said, I have a feeling they're going to lose. Chicago are pissed from losing their home opener to the Rangers, especially since it looked like they'd tied it late in the game. d

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:26 pm 
OTP Historian

First goal in Brooklyn by Tavares. I love watching him rag the puck around the net looking for openings.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gott ... ds=1617477

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:24 pm 

Bosc wrote:
First goal in Brooklyn by Tavares. I love watching him rag the puck around the net looking for openings.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gott ... ds=1617477

Too bad there were 2 goals by therapist Kane.

Greiss looked pretty good. Nelson looked like he really held a grudge against the team. Perfect pass to set up a Blackhawks shorty by Anisimov. PP goes -1 for 3.

Game 2. Berube in net. 3-0 for the Blackhawks so far, with therapist Kane getting one, although I thought it went off another Blackhawk in front. A perfect pass by dipshit Brian Strait to one of the guys in black/red to set up another goal. Berube looks good, but is being victimized by the lackluster shitshow in front of him. Isles PP is -1 for 6 so far on the season, went 0-14 in 7 games vs Washington, and Doug Weight not only still has a job, but hasn't bothered to change anything. Dump and chase on the PP, when you've got skilled forwards. Fucking brilliant. Is this 1971?

Fuck this. I'm going to bed. Game 2 and I've already given up. Great fucking job Islanders.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:59 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, I certainly never expected Tavares to lead my fantasy team in PIMs on the night, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:14 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Well, I certainly never expected Tavares to lead my fantasy team in PIMs on the night, that's for sure.

BS call against Zidlicky for interference or something- a Blackhawk went hard into Berube. Zidlicky stood over him like an idiot, not pulling him away from Berube, not hitting him, not apologizing... He just stood there. I guess that made him look guilty? So he got called and Tavares blew his stack at the refs. Capuano stood there looking embarrassed. Probably because he knew he should have done it, not Tavares. But it would take a real NHL coach to realize that before it happened. Capuano is still playing Brian Strait. I am almost hoping they go 0-10-1 to start the season so he'll get fired, and take Doug Weight with him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:14 am 

Game 3. Jets are 2-0-0, Isles are 0-1-1, with the powerlessplay still 0 for since-last-regular-season. And no changes to it. Brilliant coaching.
Halak still out. Greiss going to start. Brian Strait probably in the lineup, for reasons unknown to anyone but Capuano. Doug Weight still watching the PP fail miserably.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:12 pm 

Yay! 2 PPGs, 4-2 win. Lee had a goal disallowed- tipped with a highstick. Bailey with the empty netter. JT stopped on a PS with like 2:10 to play. Pavelec has gotten a lot better. JT still had 1 G & 2 A.

Isles are 1-1-1 now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 pm 

Oh fucking hooray, they signed Eric Boulton. 1 year, $575k. Bonuses of $25k for every playoff round they win.

They sent Pulock down to get playing time. How about sending Brian Strait down any hole he'd fit into?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Oh fucking hooray, they signed Eric Boulton. 1 year, $575k. Bonuses of $25k for every playoff round they win.

Ironic since he'll be a healthy scratch come playoff time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ironic since he'll be a healthy scratch come playoff time.

I read one place that said he'd get that bonus for rounds they win while he's a healthy scratch, but other sources don't include that caveat, so I didn't mention it. I wasn't sure if it was a forward thinking joke. I think it was on Light House Hockey, who make some good jokes like that. As you do.

Halak & Hickey both practiced today. :woop: Wondering what they'll do with Berube. He seemed pretty good, and Halak's not exactly the most reliable #1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:24 pm 

So much for Halak skating the other day. He's now supposedly out 2-3 weeks. Guess the Greiss/Berube era will last a little longer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Leblanc on waivers. Was really hoping he'd stick somewhere. Oh well.

EDIT: Louis' off to the KHL to play for Bratislava.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Leblanc on waivers. Was really hoping he'd stick somewhere. Oh well.

EDIT: Louis' off to the KHL to play for Bratislava.

Good luck kid.

Isles beat the Sharks last night, to beat a previously undefeated team for the third straight game. Nice comeback win. Down 2-0, then 3-2, they pulled out a 6-3 win. Nielsen had 1 G & 1 A, to get him to 100 G and 200 A in 530 NHL games.

Halak returned as well. So much for the info that he might be out 2-3 weeks.

Stalock had a nice freak out. Says a shot to his facemask knocked a buckle loose, so he tried to pull his helmet off to get a stoppage. Isles scored and then he was told the rule is if there's a scoring chance going on, there won't be a stoppage, even if the goalie's helmet comes off. Nice try though.

Capuano must be the first coach to go 0-2 on the coach's challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 am 

I thought up against the 0-6 Blue Jackets would be a classic trap game for the Isles, but they took it 4-0. Kulemin, Hickey, Clutterbuck & Tavares (en) with goals. Halak with 37 saves. Kulemin's goal was awesome. He was battling Prout in front, trading slashes to the stick with him for a while, when the puck came out front Kulemin put it in and Prout kept going after Kulemin who stood stoic, looking bored with Prout, while Grabovski came in to hockey-homey-hug Kulemin. Prout suddenly realized Kulemin had scored and looked embarrassed. :lol: Hickey with a nice steal to score on a breakaway. Clutterbuck scored on another breakaway. He said after the game he had to double check that he was really that alone.

Hartnell, who has always killed the Isles, hit Nielsen when the Franzinator was looking back over his shoulder for a loose puck. Yes, Hartnell held up a little, but Boychuk apparently hates Hartnell, so he fought him. I was in the car & the radio announcers were like "Johnny Boychuk fighting? He never fights. He must be really upset about that hit. His last fight was, uhhhhhhhhhhh, in early 2014, against, hmm, Scott Hartnell. Aaaaaaand before that his previous fight was in 2011 against, oh, there's some history here, one Scott Hartnell." :mulletbutch: So apparently Boychuk hates Hartnell almost as much as I do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 am 
OTP Historian

Scott Hartnell is fucking dangerous. He loves to hit, but has no fucking clue how to do it properly and hits from behind, knees, high, you name it.

Kind of like how Andrei Kostitsyn used to be with his hits from behind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:04 am 

Bosc wrote:
Scott Hartnell is fucking dangerous. He loves to hit, but has no fucking clue how to do it properly and hits from behind, knees, high, you name it.

I know. I hate him. I have to say, he let up a little when he saw Nielsen looking the other way, but he still flattened him. Nielsen wasn't hurt.

And the Isles game was Richards' last as the Blue Jackets coach. Torts is in. Where's the puking smiley?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I know. I hate him. I have to say, he let up a little when he saw Nielsen looking the other way, but he still flattened him. Nielsen wasn't hurt.

And the Isles game was Richards' last as the Blue Jackets coach. Torts is in. Where's the puking smiley?

Here's a vid for you, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5giFQKTvFMo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 pm 

Nice one.

Here are the three of Boychuk vs Hartnell.
2015- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZPuTiAy93w
2014- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IJv7qfpbIo
2011- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IJv7qfpbIo

Boychuk has had 10 regular season NHL fights, according to hockeyfights.com. Three against Hartnell and one against Max Talbot. I like this guy even more now. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:57 pm 

Boston at Isles tonight. Halak in net. Strait in the press box. Makes for a good chance at winning.
Boychuk's 400th NHL game and it's against his former team. Hoora.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:08 pm 

Shit show vs Boston on Friday. 5-3 loss.
Saturday brings a nice OT win after blowing a 2-0 lead with Greiss in net. Greiss played great, only allowing 2 deflection goals. Grabovski got nailed with a clean hit by Ott. I thought he was going to be out with another concussion, as his head snapped and hit the boards. But he stayed in and scored the OT winner on a great pass by Nielsen. Yay! First Isles win in St. Louis since 2005. :shock:

Ryan Strome & Marek Zidlicky were healthy scratches. Bernier made his Isles debut and Strait played (poorly) in place of Zidlicky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next