OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles at Canes. 10th anniversary of the Canes Cup win celebration. Weight got to lift the Cup again during the celebration. That's nice. Try to inspire the current Isles to lift it this year.

Butch Goring was talking about Strait, and said he knows Isles fans on Twitter aren't fans of Strait's, and said they should relax as he's been playing well. It seemed odd that he addressed it. As I write that, Ron Hainsey burns Strait for a good chance. Yes, I did mean Ron Hainsey. WTF?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:52 am 

6-3 loss to the surging Hurricanes. The Isles looked like they were wearing concrete skate boots shackled to a ball & chain. How is it possible for an entire team to be off for a game? I'm not singling the Isles out here, but I get it when 1-2 players have an off day; bodies get tired, could be getting sick or getting over being sick, etc. But when 19 guys play the game like they just want it over from the puck drop? Come on. I say 19 because as usual, Greiss locked shit down when he came in. Sure, maybe Carolina backed off a little since they had the game in the bag and you don't necessarily want to really embarrass a division rival who you play 2 more times. Greiss has outplayed Halak for a while now. As has Berube. I'm wondering if Halak still has some nagging injury that should make him sit out another 2 weeks to heal. Berube & Greiss have shown they're more than capable of carrying the load. And Halak wasn't awful last night. The whole team was. He was okay, bailing them out a lot early on to keep it close. Then the wheels fell off, rolled downhill into a river and floated away. Total shit show. Next year I should keep a running tally of games I consider shit shows. There are losses where you play well and run into a hot goalie, and then there are shit shows. Sometimes you manage to eek out a win during a shit show. This was not anywhere near that kind of game.
My wife & kids are away, so I was hoping to finally watch a game in peace. Instead there was a psycho on the couch, yelling at the TV. So much for peace

Monday vs Detroit at 1. I'll be at work so I won't get to see the shit show.

8/10 on the road now. Doesn't bode well for their standing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:22 pm 

Greiss vs Howard. I'm at work & can't watch. Might try to leave early & see if I can listen on the way home.

I'll be here checking the score until I see if I can sneak out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Booooo....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Booooo....

That's karma for trolling in here last time.

Seriously though, what is with Howard? I thought he had been really good the last few years?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Booooo....

Seriously though, what is with Howard? I thought he had been really good the last few years?

I can't say much about the goals, didn't see them. He has not been really good the previous 2 seasons. Battled injuries and inconsistency(last year he had some amazing stretches). Having a shit backup might have given him more of a chance to get into a groove, but Mrazek is a Vezina candidate now that he's taken the starting job and ran with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:33 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Booooo....

I can't say much about the goals, didn't see them. He has not been really good the previous 2 seasons. Battled injuries and inconsistency(last year he had some amazing stretches). Having a shit backup might have given him more of a chance to get into a groove, but Mrazek is a Vezina candidate now that he's taken the starting job and ran with it.

Okay. Just wondering. Mrazek is very good. I don't like him. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 am 

NHL leading Caps at playoff fringe Isles. Caps have beaten the Isles 4-1 & 3-2. I heard Greiss is starting. Halak has looked lost lately. De Haan is out with the dreaded LBI. Strait is in. That sucks big time. How about calling up a kid? You know what you've got with Strait, and it's not good. Give a kid a shot. Even a mite at this point. Strait just isn't good. He was okay in the lockout shortened season when they made a waiver claim on him. But since then he's been exposed as being sub-NHL quality. He's a nice guy, but so are a lot of other people who don't belong in the NHL. Waive him and he'll help Bridgeport's D squad. Bring up Pulock or Mayfield. It's time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:13 pm 

Never mind, Mayfield is suspended 3 games in the AHL for a high hit on Scott Downie.

Isles lost in OT to the Caps, 3-2. I could be pissed that they didn't play a complete game, or I could be impressed that they managed a regulation tie with the league leaders after only bothering to play 25 minutes- the first period and the last 5 in regulation. Tavares' goal was slicker than diarrhea on an oil slick.
Isles need to either beat the living shit out of Wilson or let that shit go. Yes, he essentially ended Visnovsky's career, and yes Laich said it was a good penalty to take... But they can't keep going after Wilson with little slashes and shoves all the time. He's in their heads. He's not going to fight Martin, that much is clear. So move on.

Devils tonight, who are close behind the Isles, as are the Penguins. This shit is too close for comfort. Need a win big time. Halak is in net. Lineup the same besides that. De Haan skated yesterday but obviously isn't ready to go. Strait again. Ug.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 am 

Cizikas' "whoops" goal 1:59 into the game wins a goalie duel. Halak with 27 saves in a shutout, Schneider allowing 1 on 30. Cizikas charged the net, Leddy's shot bounced off of Schneider's pads into Cizikas' chest & into the net. Play reviewed, goal upheld as it should be.

Halak made a public statement that it's a little tough practicing with 3 healthy goalies. Think he's trying to force their hand to deal Berube. As long as they get decent return, that's fine with me.

Rumor mill is pretty quiet as far as the Isles are concerned. As of now anyway.

Isles started their longest road trip of the year in NJ, although they had have had Saturday-Monday to be home, and head out to MN today for a game vs the Wild tomorrow. The road trip takes them through NJ, MN, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and then they're home for 2 days off and play at the Rangers, so the long road trip is at least bookended by away games vs locals, with days off in between. Still 7 away games between 2-19 and 3-6.
The Isles have played 31 home games in Brooklyn, and are 19-8-4 so far. In 26 road games they are 12-11-3.

The Wild have been hot under their new coach. Here's hoping that's worn off.

There was an article recently bandied about saying the Isles & Barclays are unhappy with each other, and the Isles are going to use a little known out-clause after 4 years. I'll just say it's a ton of poop, written by a guy who deserves a poo monument.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:33 pm 

Ryan Pulock called up to fill in for injured Calvin de Haan, who was put on the IR retroactive to Feb 15th with an LBI. He's been skating, so it can't be too bad, but I guess embarking on a 7 game road trip with only 6 healthy D, and Brian Strait being one of them (he's more like an F than a D), wouldn't have been too good of an idea. Mayvield is still suspended and Pelech still hurt, so Pulock it is. Bridgeport's coach Brent Thompson had said earlier in the year that Pulock really needed to work on his D-game and footwork, and now says he has done an excellent job with both. They'll get a short look at him before the deadline, but his arrival may signal the trigger point to moving Hamonic. Or if he plays poorly, may force the decision to hold on to Hamonic.

Isles fans finally have their wish- Pulock on the big team. If they go 0-1 with him on the PP he'll be the biggest bust since Josh Bailey. Fucking NYers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 am 

Pulock didn't play vs the Wild. :(

But the Isles won 4-1. 3 points behind the Rangers with 2 games in hand. 3 points up on the Penguins with the same # of games played.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
There was an article recently bandied about saying the Isles & Barclays are unhappy with each other, and the Isles are going to use a little known out-clause after 4 years. I'll just say it's a ton of poop, written by a guy who deserves a poo monument.

Even if they're unhappy it's not as if there's another arena that could take them in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Even if they're unhappy it's not as if there's another arena that could take them in.

The Barclays owners won the bid to renovate & run the old Coliseum. Currently approved plans are to make that a 13k seat arena for minor league hockey (ie, Bridgeport Sound Tigers) but some are saying no work has been done on that since there may now be talks to change the renovation back to being an NHL sized arena. The Sound Tigers have a lease through 20-21 and are very happy there from all indications. So I don't see this having any truth behind it. The Isles players are liking Barclays, and the team is certainly playing well there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:57 pm 
Big in Japan

The Nets are drawing poorly too. For now it seems less like an Isles thing and more a Barclays Center problem. Brooklynites aren't taking to it, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:04 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Nets are drawing poorly too. For now it seems less like an Isles thing and more a Barclays Center problem. Brooklynites aren't taking to it, I suppose.

Concerts are always packed. Nets suck dog balls. Isles are new kids in town. Sure they're doing okay, but they haven't won a playoff round while most of the hipsters in Brooklyn were old enough to remember it, if alive. So they've got to win a round this year to put asses in seats. I don't see sellouts happening more than occasionally (ie., vs the Rangers) if they don't win a round this year.

As of now, it looks like an Isles-Rangers first round. That would fill the place for sure. If the Isles can win it, they will sway some of the fence-sitters to their side for at least next year. This is of course all speculation, and in no way should come to the attention of the hockey or karma Gods. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 pm 

Flames tonight. Pulock might get to play. Hopefully in place of Zidlicky or Strait. No word on who is in net. I'd stick with Halak for now, since he's been playing well and it's not a back-to-back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:57 pm 

Isles fan banes Thomas Hickey & Josh Bailey get the tying and winning goals, respectively. Hickey on a nice backhander off a great feed from Matt Martin (!) along the boards. Bailey from the slot in OT off a sweet pass from Tavares.

I missed the 1st & 2nd periods, but the 3rd was fun to watch. Apparently Martin fought Bollig twice, and Cizikas fought as well.

Oilers up next. They may leave that game with 2-3 new players. :lol: Hall has said he knows everyone but McDavid is on the block. Chiarelli said he has evaluated the team and doesn't like what he sees. Harsh words from your GM.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am 

Isles lose 3-1 to the Oilers, blowing a 1-0 lead going into the 3rd. Talbot with 36 saves; quite a different performance from 2 weeks ago when the Isles whooped them 8-1.

Ryan Pulock made his NHL debut. I missed most of the game, but saw Pulock blast a shot about 3" wide. Would have been a goal if on net. Talbot was very late getting over. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:49 pm 

The stand-pat Canucks tonight. Probably too late for my old ass to stay up. I'll be yelling "get off my lawn!" in my sleep by the 2nd period.

Penguins are 1 point behind the Isles now, but the Isles have a game in hand. Still, the fantabulous Sportsclubstats site has an Isles-Rangers 1st round matchup as 65.2% likely to happen, with the Rangers finishing in 2nd place in the division at 44%, Isles less than 2% likely. Still a long way to go, but I'd like to see those odds switched.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next