OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/04/0 ... arrassing/

Ever since LaFontaine quit his volunteer senior advisor role with the Islanders over the abrupt firing of Neil Smith in 2006, LaFontaine has been person non-grata in the Islanders organization, to the point of absolute absurdity:

Quote:
The Islanders have a team Hall of Fame that inducted my father in 2005. This year they inducted Kenny Jonsson – to reiterate, despite being in the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, the Islanders have yet to induct LaFontaine. The Buffalo Sabres have already retired his number.

The public face slaps have been relentless. When LaFontaine and Steve Webb biked 550 miles for charity, the Isles website wrote about it. Except…they never mentioned LaFontaine on the website, just Webb. And the Islanders confirmed that this happened for the Wall Street Journal story, which explains all of this far better than I can.

And worst of all was when Brian Burke and LaFontaine were going to meet at an Isles game to discuss some joint charity work, the Isles denied – fucking DENIED – Pat LaFontaine a credential. The Islanders denied Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine a credential, If I may be so bold. So, Brian Burke left him a ticket, LaFontaine showed up for the meeting, and has never set foot in Nassau Coliseum since.

Article is written by Justin Bourne, son of dynasty-era Isles forward Bob Bourne, who once was invited to Islanders training camp.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:28 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Petty, thy name is Wang.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

God, and I thought the whole fiasco with Botta was silly...this is disgraceful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Ug. i had this conversation with someone else today.

Warning- rant below.

First off- Isles had a GREAT ceremony for LaFontaine when he was inducted into the real HoF. I was there so I can comment on that. It was a great evening, celebrating his tenure on LI, with a great video montage of his many goals, especially the Easter Epic. That was long before his 40 day tenure as an advisor ended. 2nd- his best years were with the Sabres which is why they retired his number. He was a really good player, but honestly not good enough to have his number retired by TWO teams. Especially not the one he held out on.

He was deemed by many Isles fans as being a very selfish player when he first arrived, not fitting in with the Dynasty players at all. I can't really comment on that first hand since I was so young. But I can tell you MANY of them hated him from the beginning. The hatred really grew when he held out in 91, eventually forcing a trade. The hold out is perfect evidence of his selfishness. A lot of Isles fans were pissed when the Isles brought him back as an advisor. I agree that not giving the guy a credential for one game is silly, but who knows besides he & Wang what was said behind closed doors when he quit. (And let's face it- with today's playoff games, the Easter Epic isn't exactly a rare type of event. And, the Isles didn't go on to win the Cup.)

I agree not mentioning him on the Steve Webb charity ride is BS. But really- it's the Isles site & nobody but me reads it anyway.

I also agree that Kenny Jonsson should not have been put into the Isles HoF. But that was just an obvious PR move to try & bring back some recent fans. LaFontaine was an Isle long ago, held out for a trade, then went to the Rangers as a UFA. He kind of slapped the Isles & us fans in the face. A few times. It was after his concussion & Rangers fans rocking the ambulance that Al Arbour was so pissed he put the goon squad on the ice with 2 seconds left & soiled his own reputation, trying to send a message that the Isles wouldn't take it lying down. LaFontaine repaid them by holding out & demanding a trade. He WAS my favorite player up until then. When he held out is when I traded #16 for #18, and said F U to pro players & their attitudes. Thanks for helping make me cynical at 16 Patty! You deserve a fucking monument for that. Here it is: :buddha:

So many people make fun of the Isles for having their HoF, I can't believe someone is making a big deal about someone being left out of it. Especially a guy who never won a Cup with them. There are still several guys from the Core of Four who haven't been inducted. And a guy called "Dynasty Killer" by many Isles fans for almost 30 years is supposed to be inducted & honored? Really?

The Isles have inducted a bunch of guys into their HoF & anyone who bothers to cover it makes fun of it. Now they're a "disgrace" for ignoring a guy who held out on them, and then quit after being given a 2nd chance with the organization? Where are the articles about Pat Flatley's induction & his treatment- getting a color analyst job? Where are the articles about Mike Bossy being brought back to the organization by Wang after being a potato chip salesman? Where are the articles about Kenny Morrow never working for anyone but the Isles? Where are the articles about Bob Nystrom being brought back to work for them? Articles about Anders Kallur being a scout? Butch Goring coaching, then doing color for them on TV? Where are the articles about Bryan Trottier being brought back by Wang, after he'd been broke, drunk & suicidal? Oh yeah- Trottier's tenure was covered- when he left... Isles only get covered when there is mud on the glass. No rose colored glass for them. Ever. What did Pittsburgh do for Trottier during that time? Ohhhh, sweet fuck all? Where are the articles about that? All they talk about is how Mario saved hockey & Sidney has a headache. A guy who brought leadership & helped win 2 Cups is broke & suicidal? Fuck him. Just don't tell anyone we said that. But rip the Isles for when he left 10 years later: Sober, with a bank full of money & healthy. Yep, the Isles sure suck for not giving millionaire Patty LaFontaine a free ticket. (They gave him a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for his real HoF induction- does that offset the free game pass a little? Also gave $25k to his chosen charities. But they suck don't they?)

Really. I know Wang & prior owners have been far from perfect, but the coverage of this franchise totally sucks donkey. It's always cover the bad, and make fun of or ignore the good. It's fashionable to rip the Isles. Wang may be a hockey-moron, but he's done a lot more good than bad when it comes to Isles alumni. It just goes unnoticed/uncovered.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I guess not including him on Isles season tickets or putting his hilights as part of the 40 year celebration ceremonies isn't a big deal either since no one buys Islanders tickets or goes to their games, either.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 am 

I don't mind that the Isles have a Hall of Fame. Why not? Certainly better than the "ring of honor" or whatever it is the Panthros have or the overblown honors bestowed upon Bourque and Sakic in Colorado. Not necessarily saying either of those are wrong, either (well, the "Sakic Under Glass" most certainly is) just saying if what the Isles' are doing is wrong, then what a LOT of teams do to honor their former players is wrong as well. That being said, kind of ridiculous not to have LaFontaine in it, regardless of how he left the organization.

Very good points about coverage of the Isles though. People like to watch things burn, it's in our nature. That being said, you can't possibly tell me Wang is not doing what he's doing out of pure spite. You're not gonna convince me he gives two shits about Pat LaFontaine holding out in 1991. As the article pointed out, he resigned an UNPAID advisory position when it was made clear Wang didn't give two shits about what he had to say, nor did he care as much about putting out a good product on the ice so much as he cared about getting his way. He fired an experienced general manager in Neil Smith after six weeks simply because he refused to bypass Rick DiPietro's agent to negotiate what has become the worst contract in professional sports. Garth Snow may yet prove he actually knows what he's doing (I'm almost convinced now after some initial optimism that he doesn't though) but the one and only reason he was given the job was that he'd do what Wang said whenever Wang said it. Wang doesn't care about winning, he cares about control.

Wang is an overgrown child with too much money who treats the Islanders like his own personal toy, and when he doesn't get his way he takes his toy and goes home. He is the worst owner in the NHL, and might be the worst owner in all of sports (Donald Sterling and Daniel Snyder might be the only ones worse). He is destroying the New York Islanders. What this and a number of other countless blunders since he bought the team have shown is that he has absolutely no clue what he's doing, and doesn't care. He will wipe the New York Islanders from existence when he moves the franchise into some monstrous, palatial arena that will make hockey a mere sideshow. I take back what I said about him earlier--he doesn't have the heart of an owner, nor does he have the head.

You can say the Isles coverage is fairly opposed to Wang...but he's done plenty of things to earn that enmity.

And let's not oversell the whole thing with Bossy. That "Potato Chip Salesman" gig was a business venture. It's not like he was peddling them on the street. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 am 
OTP Historian

Many good points all around. I remember Lafontaine did not have the greatest relationship with the Islanders back when he played for them. Some of the stuff definitely seems petty, but as Chris says, some of the good stuff gets overlooked and only the negative gets shown for the Isles. This is a team in dire need of a few huge breaths of fresh air. One great thing is that they do have Tavares. That's something to start with. They need some of the other young guns to perform for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm 

Okposo managed to pull off 21 goals despite his horrible start. Grabner certainly came back down to Earth, but his linemates all season did too. Bailey turned it on recently, but was absent most of the year. Nielsen has been consistent & is better known for his defense & SO prowess. On a playoff team he'd get Selke consideration- or any team besides NYI.

Sask- I haven't seen the season ticket booklets or read a description. How many players are on it? How many scenes? Doesn't sounds like you can fit too many. A few years ago the Yankees left A-Rod off theirs. While he was playing for them, and had recently won an MVP. Don't think it was mentioned more than a blurb.

Av- I wasn't trying to convince you that Wang cared/cares about the 91 hold out. Wang was really surprised when FANS were pissed he brought LaFontaine back. Maybe he's following fan reaction. As for the W20 Foundation story- I remember there being a quick write up on the Isles site about Webb riding for his foundation and a LINK to the W20 site blog- which mentioned LaFontaine & had his pics. It wasn't like the Isles' site revolved around the great Steve Webb & Steve Webb ONLY riding 550 miles. I don't remember thinking "WHOA! They snubbed LaFontaine!!!" And I would remember such a thing, because I still have mixed feelings about the guy. Great charity work, was my favorite player on a declining team: Held out while the Isles sucked & always did seem a little selfish on the ice. Went to play for the Rags, whose fans rocked his ambulance while he was concussed- how could he do that?

Agreed DPahole's contract is the worst ever, and was written after Yashin's was obviously not working well. But Smith apparently had a lot of other ideas that weren't jiving with long term plans (neither did Ted Nolan's). Wang supposedly had a budget & Smith wanted to spend way more & win right away. Isles were in a shamble by then thanks to Milbury. Who, by the way, Wang certainly didn't try very hard to control. So as much as I have mixed feelings about Wang as well, I think that statement is a bit off. I think Wang bought the team with the intention of winning, however he thought he'd fund it by developing the Coliseum property. When he was losing $20million/season & things looked dim for development- he slashed payroll. You wouldn't? When things have looked good for the development, he's put up money for the team. When things have looked bleak for development, he's kept a low budget. Makes business sense, as much as I hate to say it.

Nobody knows what Botta did to be banned. He says ask Snow/Wang- they say ask him. I've tried in some of those "ask the GM" things to weasel it out of Snow, submitting questions like "is it true Botta is banned for parking in Wang's personal spot?", to no avail. Not that I expected an answer. :lol:

Bossy- I remember reading he was a regional sales manager, but did not feel above jumping in & stocking shelves for a big order- and there was a pic of him in a shirt & tie stocking a shelf with chips. Don't remember anything about him being in on the financial venture end of it. Sounded like Wang pretty much rescued him. But maybe that was an Isles spin on it. Either way- he's still there like 10 years later, so he's obviously pretty happy. Him, Morrow, Nystrom, Goring, Flatley, Kallur... A bunch of guys hang around & seem happy. If LaFontaine is in fact being black listed, maybe he did or said something. He did hold out on the Isles once before.

As for moving- we could talk about that forever.
As for Wang being the worst owner in sports- I don't know. He bought the Soundtigers so they could have synergy with the AHL level. He bought the practice facility so they could clean that up & adorn it with Isles memorabilia (sans LaFontaine pics I assume), and paid for a lot of similar renovations to the Coliseum itself, which he doesn't own. I assume if he could buy it- he would. I think he cares, but is beyond frustrated with the lease situation. He thought he could buy his way out of it early on, or find a loophole. Asbestos, breaking sewer pipes, unsafe scoreboard.... None of them have helped his cause. He's still losing big money. They have the lowest payroll in the league. Sell the least tickets (pretty sure on that one). They are hog-tied in a lot of ways. So maybe Wang makes dumb PR mistakes. He's got to be frustrated beyond belief. I sometimes want his head, and sometimes feel bad for him & appreciate that he's willing to keep trying. Isles had several owners who gutted them. Bridgeport is kicking butt this year & the future is looking better for the Isles. Is that thanks to Wang, Snow, draft picks, coaching, luck, chance.....? I don't know. But as much as they frustrate me, they're my team. Like I said- I have mixed feelings about Wang, the Isles in general, LaFontaine, etc. This situation sucks, but I'm pretty sure they're not the only team to blacklist a former player. Especially one who held out on them. Think Peca is welcome in Buffalo? Or Yashin in Ottawa? Are they on season tix or video montages? Those are just 2 players I can think of off the top of my head (for obvious reasons). Sure you guys can list dozens of players who held out & were traded. Are they welcomed back with open arms?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:31 am 

Now that I see Snow's statement that the Isles are going to make minimal changes for next year- NOW I say revoke his ownership!

Nabby is signed, Montoya won't be. Montoya wasn't as good this year as last year, but he also returned early from the concussion & said he wasn't 100%. I think Poulin & Nilsson will split time as Nabby's backup, whenever DPahole is healthy (unless he's bought out during an amnesty period, which I think even Wang might finally be willing to do).

D- Eaton, Jurchitty & Staios' contracts are up. Bye bye. Wishart & Reese have done good jobs when called upon. Matt Donovan too. I see them going after some UFAs, but not landing any good ones.

O- Pandawful is gone. that's addition by subtraction. Matt Martin & Haley are RFAs & should be re-signed, even if Haley is relegated to Bridgeport again. Martin lead the league in hits, drops the gloves now & then and managed 7 goals, which is far more than anyone could have expected from him. Haley is a fan fav, and scores well in the AHL. He's a good backup. Parenteau should be re-signed, but he may well want to test the UFA waters. If so I'd say he's gone.

Isles need a legit enforcer. Martin, Haley, Hamonic etc are willing to drop the gloves but don't scare anyone. Tavares took more cheap shots than a star should this year. The refs aren't going to help the lowly Isles, so they need to do it themselves. Without Konopka this year, they got manhandled in quite a few games. I'm not a big fan of the enforcer role, but I'd say they need more toughness.

2ndary scoring picked up as the year ended, which was too little/too late. But I think guys like Okposo, Grabner & Bailey realized they're better than they'd played early on. But they could still use more. Get Nino off the fucking 4th line. I know the kid is green, but 1 fucking goal? He should have been used on Tavares' line now & then, especially when Parenteau was hurt. give the kid some legit linemates. Matt Martin & Marty Reasoner are the checking line. Nino is supposed to be a top 6 power forward. If you're going to keep him all year, use him as such! I'd like them to add Strome's skills next year, but if they're going to relegate him to the 4th line & ruin any youthful confidence he has, then F it, let him play Juniors again.

Isles fans are suggesting they trade their 1st round pick & Reasoner to Montreal for Subban. I seriously doubt Montreal would do that.

*sigh* Another April of watching early season baseball. :suicide:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am 

Not that the Isles should necessarily do it, but both Jason Blake and Adrian Aucoin are on the market this offseason. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 pm 

Blake- possibly an option.
Aucoin- they ruined his legs giving him 31 minutes of ice/night when they had him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:36 am 

Eh...I hope both retire to be honest.

Snow should at least get credit for taking an outright ugly situation and turning it into a positive. He went from having Nabokov not even reporting to signing a one-year deal to stay. That counts for something at least.

IMO Isles are wise this time around for not going big. They tried it with Ehrhoff and got burned badly. Make some lower-tier signings (IMO they should go and get Shane O'Brien, great short-term rental guy) and fill enough gaps so that you're not in a position where you have to call up a kid too soon. Frankly they should just go ahead and let Strome do another year in junior. Gives the Isles time to showcase Bailey for a big trade (guarantee you Burke would be the first guy in line) and get some much-needed assets for 2013-14 when the Isles could possibly be ready to contend. The grand hope though is that they make it to the playoffs in 2012-13 beforehand of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

LaFontaine responds...or doesn't.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabre ... 801071.ece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:47 pm 
King of Men

Wow there is a lot of drama in this thread. Chris I appreciate your passion for a franchise that can't seem to get it right or even going in the right direction. That's frustrating and your devotion should be commended.

Nice read and nice exchange between you and the Professor. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 am 

Thanks Jay. I'm going to make a banner that says "I support ineptitude". :)

For me it isn't just blind allegiance though, like Razz.

And I wasn't going to bother posting it- but apparently a bunch of Isles employees were just let go or quit: Strength & conditioning coach, trainer, some non-hockey staff.... Either Wang is cleaning house to bring in folks who obey the Borg, or they're jumping off the ship they see as sinking. I know Rolston was deemed out of shape by the Bruins when they got him mid-season. He's done a lot better there than with the Isles. I always thought they looked out of gas in 3rd periods, especially on the 2nd end of back-to-backs. But there weren't 285 groin pulls this year.

Oh Islanders, please get something right this year and stop reminding me "what happened on this day in......" Make something good happen NOW.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 pm 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Scott Allen & Dean Chenyoweth won't be back either. Maybe Capuano wanted to pick his own assistant coaches. Maybe they wanted out. Again- no word as to whether they were fired or quit, just that they won't be back.

PK was pretty good but that could be more personnel than coaching. PP was bi-polar. I assume Doug Weight will be kept as an assistant, but with a gag order. He blows up on refs too often. I agree with what he says & it's kind of nice to see someone show emotion, but he's not going to have the refs' respect & will probably be fined a shitload of money by Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 am 

Okay, now I'm pissed. The retards are always running a "this date in Islanders history" news feed to gloss over the disarray of today. Yesterday's?
Quote:
This Day In Islanders History...

1987 - Hockey fans stayed on the edges of their seats into the wee hours of the morning through quadruple OT. The Isles beat the Capitals 4-3 six hours and eighteen minutes after the game started. The game will forever be known as "The Easter Epic".

After all the shit they got recently for eliminating LaFontaine they give that write up? And a photo in which he's not visible (crowded by other celebrating players)?

I would think they'd backtrack a little & show some class, mention the guy's name. But no. Instead they make me look like an idiot for defending them. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:20 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Chris18 wrote:
Okay, now I'm pissed. The retards are always running a "this date in Islanders history" news feed to gloss over the disarray of today. Yesterday's?
Quote:
This Day In Islanders History...

1987 - Hockey fans stayed on the edges of their seats into the wee hours of the morning through quadruple OT. The Isles beat the Capitals 4-3 six hours and eighteen minutes after the game started. The game will forever be known as "The Easter Epic".

After all the shit they got recently for eliminating LaFontaine they give that write up? And a photo in which he's not visible (crowded by other celebrating players)?

"The goal was not scored by the player you have named. This is a fabrication of the Western media. It was an own-goal by Washington after Rod Langway's clearing attempt hit Bob Mason's skate and went in."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm 

:laap:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 am 

More arena/development drama. Hempstead councilman blames Wang, Isles say it's not true. Brooklyn arena will have obstructed view seating. Bettman says Brooklyn is a temporary fix but can't be permanent.

Quebec? Hartford? KC- or is Phoenix headed there? Atlanta? :haha: