OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Petrov's basically a free player. Not too shabby for a team that already has good scoring depth. (Enough to bench Anders Lee, anyway.)

Dal Colle could make the jump too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Petrov's basically a free player. Not too shabby for a team that already has good scoring depth. (Enough to bench Anders Lee, anyway.)

Dal Colle could make the jump too.

Well, benching Lee might have been a good idea for 1 game, but Capuano's ridiculous superstitious attitude of "we won with this exact lineup the other day, so I Can't change it" is just stupid and Lee should not have been benched a 2nd time. I think he'd have gotten the message after being benched for Game 6.

Camp will be interesting, that's for sure.
At the least, Petrov may offer a decent trade chip toward a backup.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:14 pm 

Johan Sundstrom leaves Sound Tigers to play in Sweden.

Neuvirth has had "positive talks" with Snow about returning. He still says he wants to be a starter somewhere, but hints he'll return to the Isles if he doesn't land a starting gig on July 1st. Glad to hear it and I'd like to see him return. For the right deal.

Kiril Petrov has supposedly agreed in principle to a deal, but can't officially sign it until July 1st. Glad to hear he's finally crossing the pond.

Supposedly still talking with Visnovsky as well.

Ho hum. Get the Cup Finals over with. I want July 1st. ACK!!! I just realized I'm going to be away, with very limited internet access. Shit sandwich!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:38 pm 

Isles beat writer Art Staple doesn't often write about rumors. He's got a story out now that the Isles are actively shopping Grabner & Okposo. Snow may have doubts he can re-sign Okposo, who is entering the last year of his contract. Grabner just can't seem to stay healthy, but is still intriguing to lots of folks.

I'd hate to see Okposo go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:36 am 
Big in Japan

Elliotte picked up on it too. Okposo's a pending UFA after next season, so it could depend on how well the Isles play early on.

Quote:
11. Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported Saturday night Islanders’ forward Kyle Okposo may be on the trade block. That was the first I heard of Okposo, but it’s indicative of what is happening out there. There are a lot of prominent names getting thrown around/asked about. We throw around words like “shopped,” and “available,” but a fairer way of describing it might be “tested.” I think there’s a lot of that going on, with GMs discussing certain players (or asking about them), just to see what nibbles they get.

He's been a bargain for the Isles for a long time. Maybe they think his body won't hold up over a long term deal?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
Elliotte picked up on it too. Okposo's a pending UFA after next season, so it could depend on how well the Isles play early on.

Quote:
11. Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported Saturday night Islanders’ forward Kyle Okposo may be on the trade block. That was the first I heard of Okposo, but it’s indicative of what is happening out there. There are a lot of prominent names getting thrown around/asked about. We throw around words like “shopped,” and “available,” but a fairer way of describing it might be “tested.” I think there’s a lot of that going on, with GMs discussing certain players (or asking about them), just to see what nibbles they get.

He's been a bargain for the Isles for a long time. Maybe they think his body won't hold up over a long term deal?

I've read a lot of speculation over the last day. Some say they fear his eye not being 100%. Some say he's asking, and may get from someone else, for $7 million/year on his next contract. I can't see the Isles paying him that. Some say he's the "top 6 forward" being dangled to possibly bring back Sharp, Kesler or Kessel. I can't see dropping "only" $3 million/year being worth it for Chicago, but maybe his name is a starting point. Or, as Friedman says, maybe it's just testing the waters to see what they could get in return. If someone blows them away, maybe Snow trades him. I can't see why they'd move him for Sharp. He's younger, cheaper, better, AND he's younger, cheaper and better. There are also the facts that he's younger, cheaper and better than Sharp...

It's all speculation at this point... Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense to deal him for Sharp. Hawks have no leverage and you can probably get a younger return than an aging Sharp. 1 year of Kesler because you can't sign Okposo? Better not give up much extra.

In a deal for Kessel? Yes. You make that deal if Okposo wants a salary north of $7 million.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am 

Bosc wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense to deal him for Sharp. Hawks have no leverage and you can probably get a younger return than an aging Sharp. 1 year of Kesler because you can't sign Okposo? Better not give up much extra.

In a deal for Kessel? Yes. You make that deal if Okposo wants a salary north of $7 million.

Doesn't Kessel make like $7 or 8?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Doesn't Kessel make like $7 or 8?

Yup, $8M per season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:29 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I don't think Okposo fits the rebuild situation and Toronto would be looking for younger pieces the Islanders would be less than "thrilled" to move.

Maybe an ever rare threeway.... but likely not good trade partners unless I underestimate the Islanders desire to hold onto the the Dal Colle and Strome types they have amassed. Any bum contracts the Islanders would be looking to shed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I don't think Okposo fits the rebuild situation and Toronto would be looking for younger pieces the Islanders would be less than "thrilled" to move.

Maybe an ever rare threeway.... but likely not good trade partners unless I underestimate the Islanders desire to hold onto the the Dal Colle and Strome types they have amassed. Any bum contracts the Islanders would be looking to shed?

Agreed. I don't think that Okposo's big-payday-next-year contract situation is what the Leafs are looking to add. However if you have the opportunity to move Okposo for Kessel, you do it as long as the adds to Okposo aren't too high.

Signing Okposo and trading for Kessel would be out of the question, I think. Too much salary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 am 

I can't see the Isles wanting to add Kessel's contract, although I've read that TO will pay some of his salary.

Pierre "idiot extraordinaire" McGuire is saying the Isles weren't happy with Okposo's playoff performance. 3 points in 7 games, and the clean hit that knocked Fehr out of the series. PM says the Isles wanted Okposo to be enough of a force to take defensive pressure off of Tavares, and he says Okposo didn't deliver. I don't know. I think a lot of their offense disappeared in that series, but when you're missing half your regular D, forwards play more defensively in general, and I believe half the roster just figured out today that Game 7 has already happened. So I certainly don't blame KO for the team not advancing.

In other Isles news- they are still supposedly very interested in Sharp & Joel Ward. No word on what goalies they are interested in, or anything draft related. Some older rumors have them trading back into the first round. I don't know about that. They've got a shitload of prospects. Why move prospects to go back to the well for guys who "may" develop? Makes no sense to me. If they feel they have too many prospects, too many contracts, then maybe move a few prospects for a guy to help win now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:14 pm 

Visnovsky's agent says Visnovsky wants to play in the NHL this year, and has been very happy with the Isles. No word on terms he's asking for. He'd be very good insurance as a third pairing guy, with some PP time. He's too banged up for full time, but if he plays 40-50 games he'd be a steadying presence. For a low price of course. He could really help a kid like Pulock with good veteran info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm 

Snow says he has no intention of trading Okposo. Some say that means he never had him on the block, some say that means he's as good as gone, some say that's Snow's way of saying no offers were good enough- and he's hoping to make someone up their offer.

Snow has said he wants to get back into the first or second round. Weight added that there's some pressure on them to restock for the future. It's not like they've got a bunch of guys about to retire. They've got a pretty good D-corps in Bridgeport, and have drafted 4 goalies in the last 2 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 am 

Snow shopped Grabner aggressively at the draft & got no interest. Ouch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Avs should definitely kick the tires there. Speedy depth forward who's good on the PK, absolutely what they need right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:02 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
The Avs should definitely kick the tires there. Speedy depth forward who's good on the PK, absolutely what they need right now.

His inability to stay healthy last year is probably the main cause for the lack of interest. He had hernia surgery during camp, causing him to miss much of the season. He was not as good as usual when playing, and had a 2nd hernia surgery as soon as they were ousted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm 

QOs offered to Lee, Nelson, Poulin, Czuchman, Halmo and Johan Sundstrom.

Hickey & Lee are close to signing extensions. Snow has said he'll work on Nelson as soon as Lee deal is done. Nice.

I guess keeping Poulin around is cheap insurance of not finding a quality backup right away? Or just letting him know he's Bridgeport bound.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:01 pm 

Thomas Hickey signed 3 more years at $2.2 million/year.

Thomas Greiss signed on July 1, 2 years at $1.5 million cap hit.

Also signed Kiril Petrov, finally. He got a 1 year, entry level deal worth $875,000.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles sign... Louis Leblanc!

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=775114

Good luck Louis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next