OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Third jersey design to be released in the next 2 weeks. Rumor is it will be black/white. Fans who aren't busy bitching about them moving to Brooklyn and the off-center scoreboard in Brooklyn, are bitching about this. Ahhhh, New Yorkers. :suicide:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 pm 
Big in Japan

I was in Brooklyn/Queens last weekend and I didn't see anyone in Nets gear. Granted, the Mets are winning so there was plenty of blue and orange, but I think that BK B&W look has run its course.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I was in Brooklyn/Queens last weekend and I didn't see anyone in Nets gear. Granted, the Mets are winning so there was plenty of blue and orange, but I think that BK B&W look has run its course.

With the Yankees & Mets both doing well, basketball is on the back burner in summer, as it's got the farthest-off season start. Football & hockey come before it. The Nets also sucked dog balls last year, which certainly doesn't help. They went from 31st to 4th in merch sales the year they moved to Brooklyn. They dipped to 7th, and have now fallen out of the top 10. Sucking doesn't help, that's for sure. Neither does Jay-Z selling his ownership shares. http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/4/15/8418 ... time-since

Will the Isles see a big bump in merch sales? I say it largely depends on their record. NYers are fickle, fair-weather fans. Win & they'll buy team colored undies. Lose & they'll trash your very existence. Isles will have it tough this year. Not only are they moving into Ranger territory, they've alienated lots of their fan base, and fans were okay with the last 3rd jersey largely due to hating the previous (black) one. The mention of black & white has many Isles fans throwing tantrums, so it will have to be a very cool design to overcome the anti-black-jersey bias. Maybe new Brooklyn-based fans will dig it. Time will tell.

And still no word on Brock Nelson.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
Big in Japan

http://nypost.com/2015/09/03/islanders- ... n-tickets/

The new team owner is calling prospective season ticket holders. Maybe they're having a tough time selling tix, or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:02 am 

E.L. wrote:
http://nypost.com/2015/09/03/islanders-owner-adds-a-personal-touch-to-sell-season-tickets/

The new team owner is calling prospective season ticket holders. Maybe they're having a tough time selling tix, or not.

Yormark, who is in charge of non-hockey ops now, tweeted that they have over 8k season tickets sold & lead the NHL. I seriously doubt the latter statement, since other teams get like 10k season ticket sales. But if a Brooklyn salesman didn't BS, he wouldn't be a Brooklyn salesman, youz know what I mean?

Back to the third jersey, or as NYers might say, da turd joisey. http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... -ny-crest/
I really liked several of the potential b/w designs floated around a while back. This looks like a beer league jersey. I just don't see what they were going for. I was afraid of it being over-designed. Quite the opposite. And we get it- four stripes to represent 4 Cups... 4 on the sleeve, and the only splash of color and only real carry over from the regular jersey, the 4 stripes on the stick (which now looks short enough for me). 4 stripes= 4 Cups... got it. You can stop with the 4s now. And the collar? wtf is that? It looks like a negative of a catholic priest collar. White most of the way around with a black section up front. No idea what that's about. It's a strange place to add a contrast.
So it was b/w as everyone expected. The actual design is nothing like anyone expected. But fans already absolutely hate it, as everyone expected.
I really hope the team has a hell of a season on the ice, because between a lot of the fan base throwing "I'm not going!" tantrums over the move, over the removal of the Ice Girls, over obstructed view seating, the scoreboard being off-center, still not winning a playoff series since '93, over the third jersey....... it's going to be a really rough start in their new home if they don't have a good season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:16 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm kinda just over the whole practice of third jerseys overall. Usually they're either God-awful or the team just adopts them as a regular jersey, which I REALLY hate. About the only team to absolutely nail it is St. Louis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am 

Now it is being said that the stories about the Isles talking extension with Okposo were not true, and they've had no talks at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:57 pm 

And in more Odd News of Islanders, former Islander Rich Pilon's young cousin Ryan Pilon, who was drafted by the Isles this year, has left his junior team (Brandon Wheat Kings) saying his heart just isn't in hockey anymore. iiam:

In odd Isles fan news, that last sentence was about 3 run-ons, and I don't care.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:36 pm 

Brock Nelson is still not signed, with a team deadline of about 11.5 hours from now for him to sign. Snow supposedly offered him a 2 year deal 6 weeks ago, and when Nelson rejected it, Snow said he'd get back to him with a new offer but hasn't made one. Nelson's agent says the deal is for 1/2 what comparable players are making. We'll see...

Third jersey is the shitshow leaked a few weeks ago. It's not necessarily horrible, but it's not good. Enough with the "4 Cups" tributes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:00 am 

Nelson signs at the 11th hour. Three year escalating deal at $1.5, $2.5 and $3.5 million/year. Could be a great bargain for the Isles if he continues to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Grabner traded to the Leafs for scrubs.

Quote:
@YahooSportsNHL 7m7 minutes ago
#NHL trade: Leafs acquire Michael Grabner from Isles for (deep breath) Taylor Beck, Matt Finn, Chris Gibson, Tom Nilsson, Carter Verhaeghe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I assume the Leafs are just shedding pro contracts due to all the PTO's maybe?

Islanders love those Ice Dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:55 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Grabner traded to the Leafs for scrubs.

Quote:
@YahooSportsNHL 7m7 minutes ago
#NHL trade: Leafs acquire Michael Grabner from Isles for (deep breath) Taylor Beck, Matt Finn, Chris Gibson, Tom Nilsson, Carter Verhaeghe

Yeah, Leafs were looking to shed pro contracts and Isles were looking to restock Bridgeport. They'd supposedly had Grabner on the block all summer long. I obviously wish they could have gotten more for him, but sometimes the market drops on a guy. His injuries last season seriously reduced the return possibilities. Bummer. They've got a serious log jam at forward, so he would have most likely been a $5 million healthy scratch, if he's healthy that is. I hope he does well. I like him.

They also signed Bernier to a 1 year, 1 way contract for $750k. I don't think he's as anywhere near as good as Grabner, but at less than 20% the cost, it's a better overall deal for the team. He'll most likely be injury insurance in the press box. Not a horrible thing to have. Amount edited.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:44 am 

Isles now have $7.5 million in cap space. Another move coming? At least they have the flexibility to do something if they feel the need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Joshua Ho-Sang was late for the first day of #Isles training camp. He's been sent back to Niagara of the OHL. Camp over for him.

From Arthur Staple.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:39 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Joshua Ho-Sang was late for the first day of #Isles training camp. He's been sent back to Niagara of the OHL. Camp over for him.

From Arthur Staple.

Yep. He was supposedly a model citizen at the July & last week's rookie camps. But for whatever reason, he was late today, and was sent packing. He had a slim to none chance of making the Isles & is only 19, so he was headed back to juniors, but what a shitty way to have it happen. He was going to be on a line with Tavares & Lee for the first pre-season game, so the Isles obviously wanted to give him a chance to impress. Dumb move kid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Quote:

From Arthur Staple.

Yep. He was supposedly a model citizen at the July & last week's rookie camps. But for whatever reason, he was late today, and was sent packing. He had a slim to none chance of making the Isles & is only 19, so he was headed back to juniors, but what a shitty way to have it happen. He was going to be on a line with Tavares & Lee for the first pre-season game, so the Isles obviously wanted to give him a chance to impress. Dumb move kid.

You know could be good for him getting a bit of a public shaming. I had watched him live maybe half dozen times last season after he came to the Ice Dogs and really did seem like an ass that all ways left me thinking this will never fly as a pro with a pro coach when his skill advantage isn't as vast as it is in jr. So maybe this can be a catalyst for him getting it together as a person and team player.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Quote:

From Arthur Staple.

You know could be good for him getting a bit of a public shaming. I had watched him live maybe half dozen times last season after he came to the Ice Dogs and really did seem like an ass that all ways left me thinking this will never fly as a pro with a pro coach when his skill advantage isn't as vast as it is in jr. So maybe this can be a catalyst for him getting it together as a person and team player.

Yeah, I've read a few reports that say this wasn't the first time he's had an incident with the Isles. His junior coach was quoted saying he's had some issues there- staying up all night playing video games and stupid shit like that. His hotel room mate supposedly tried for a while to wake him, but was concerned he'd be late and left for the rink. Ho-Sang was supposedly made to run the arena stairs for 3 hours as punishment, then sent packing anyway (probably while the coaches talked to Snow about what to do). Snow was publicly quoted saying "Enough of this shit. It's time for him to grow up." His junior GM said Ho-Sang is incredibly embarrassed by it and feels a ton of guilt. Good.

In news about a guy who will actually play for the Isles this year, they signed Zidlicky to a 1 year $1.5 million deal. He'll basically be a Visnovsky replacement. While I'm glad to have another vet D, as it should put Strait in the press box for sure, it might block the way of Mayfield or Pulock, either of whom should have made the team and been given a chance to send Strait to permanent press box duty. Pulock especially may lose out, as Zidlicky will get a lot of PP time, which is when they were supposed to be trying out Pulock's cannon of a shot. I guess he's cheap injury insurance. Can't have too many d-men as they found out vs the Capitals.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:10 am 

If I had Photoshop skills, I'd morph Ho-Sang with Flavor Flav, clock prominent over the Isles logo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The more I look at that third jersey, the more I hate it. It's both too plain and horribly gaudy at the same time. Not sure how they managed to do that, but they did.

Did Brock Nelson sign by the deadline?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next