OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Isles sign... Louis Leblanc!

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=775114

Good luck Louis.

Good depth signing. Bridgeport bound I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 pm 

Isles fans are calling for Okposo to be traded because he reportedly wants $7 million/year. Meanwhile, they all keep demanding Snow spend any amount of money to bring in an "impact winger, to play with JT". Ummmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Isles fans are calling for Okposo to be traded because he reportedly wants $7 million/year. Meanwhile, they all keep demanding Snow spend any amount of money to bring in an "impact winger, to play with JT". Ummmmm...

IMO Nielsen is the priority, but I think they'll get deals done for both. Isles have quite a few options, especially w/Dal Colle coming up.

What are your thoughts on Strome?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:27 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

IMO Nielsen is the priority, but I think they'll get deals done for both. Isles have quite a few options, especially w/Dal Colle coming up.

What are your thoughts on Strome?

If I swung the other way, I'd be courting him. I love that kid. :lol:
A) He wears a great number.
B) He is confident, but not cocky.
C) He has made great plays, and looks like he'll get better.
D) He's made it clear he really likes the Isles.
E) In an interview the other day, he said he knows the Isles have a great, young core, and he wants to be a part of it for a long time. Yes I know he's "got" to say that, but he really doesn't; at least not the part about wanting to be part of it for a while. He is very confident in the group going forward, and said he's pretty happy Snow showed faith in them by not making a lot of moves during the off-season.

Or did you mean what do I think they'll sign him to? :lol: I think they really like him, a lot. I could see them going 6-8 years with him. They did 6 with JT before they needed to. I think they see Strome as their next really important piece. So I think they avoid the bridge, and go long. As for $, I have no idea. Some teams are giving crazy money to kids who I don't think are nearly as good as him. So the Isles may finally start to face the Cap Crunch next off-season. Maybe... It could also go up.

Does the expansion money do anything to help the cap go up? A frigging billion dollars divided by 30 is still 33,333,333 for each team. If they all get almost half an annual cap hit for nothing, the cap should go up, in my opinion. But it probably won't, since that's a one-time thing. Well, once every 10 years with Bettman at the helm...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I was just curious as to how he's developing. I was reading Staple's Twitter feed and he ventured a guess that the top line next year will be something like Strome/Nelson - Tavares - Okposo. I know Cap had him all over the damned lineup so it was hard to gauge how he was progressing. Not sure whether they want him as a winger or a center.

And yes, I'm pretty sure HRR in any form helps the cap go up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:55 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
And yes, I'm pretty sure HRR in any form helps the cap go up.

I am 99% sure that expansion money goes directly to the owners and is not part of HRR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 am 

Strome's versatility is part of what makes him so good. He didn't sulk at all when he was 4th line center, moved to wing, etc.

Art Staple, who is "in the know" about the Isles, says Kiril Petrov will make the roster out of camp. Lots of people say to ignore his low production in the KHL, as he was used incorrectly. Well okay then.

Petrov-Grabovski-Kulemin? The KGP line? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Expansion bucks goes straight to the owners pockets where they work out tax loopholes to make sure the government doesn't touch it either, probably.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:52 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Expansion bucks goes straight to the owners pockets where they work out tax loopholes to make sure the government doesn't touch it either, probably.

So, they join the rest of the money that billionaires have... and keep. And add to...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:54 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

So, they join the rest of the money that billionaires have... and keep. And add to...

YOU MUST PAY US $500 MILLION TO JOIN OUR CLUB but then say you can't afford to pay a dime for the building you need to make the team feasible in

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

YOU MUST PAY US $500 MILLION TO JOIN OUR CLUB but then say you can't afford to pay a dime for the building you need to make the team feasible in

And say you can't afford more than $71 million/year to players who you will market the shit out of.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:02 pm 

I'm thinking a move or two are imminent. They just have too many forwards who are NHL ready.

Potential forward lines (mainly for the sake of me remembering everyone):

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Petrov (who was all but told he's got an NHL job)
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

That leaves out Grabner & Nielsen. I didn't plan that, but those are the 2 I had forgotten. I doubt they'll be scratched if they're healthy, especially Nielsen. Those 2, plus Martin & Okposo are all entering UFA contract years. Dal Colle was also told to come into camp looking to win an NHL roster spot. So they've got a few too many forwards assuming everyone stays healthy, which is a big assumption with Grabner & Grabovski. Fans are thinking Okposo will go for a good d-man. I doubt that very much. You don't want to see a kid like Dal Colle start on the 4th line, but it would make some sense to rotate the 3 4th line guys out for him, or whomever needs to get some games.

If Petrov disappoints in camp he can be sent to Bridgeport. Dal Colle would have to be sent back to juniors. Everyone else would have to be waived.

Potential D lines:
Leddy-Boychuk
Hamonic-De Haan
Hickey-Mayfield or Pulock or Strait. Mayfield & Pulock are on 2 way deals, so can be shuttled back and forth. Everyone else would require waivers.

Goalies:
Halak (please stay healthy!)
Greiss
Poulin- hopefully signs a 2-way deal. If not, he's gone. But if he does, he can be the top call-up.

You get 23 roster spots, right? So 14 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies. Those last roster spots are going to be tough to come by unless they pull of some moves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:01 pm 

Isles payroll in pie-chart form, including the players' contract status. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/7/ ... pie-charts

Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Isles payroll in pie-chart form, including the players' contract status. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/7/ ... pie-charts

Pretty cool.

Neat. It'd be cool if they ordered by how many years were left on the deal and increase the distance from center based on number of years. Might be too fancy to do though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Pretty cool.

Neat. It'd be cool if they ordered by how many years were left on the deal and increase the distance from center based on number of years. Might be too fancy to do though.

Cool idea. Might be capable in a 3D chart.

I was waiting for a meeting to start today and I made a pie chart of the Isles goal % by player. Nothing shocking or fancy, but then I thought it would be cool to color code it by D & F, then maybe by 1st line through 4th line, but the lines had too much fluctuation this year. I thought maybe top 6 & bottom 6 might work, but even that isn't going to tell too much that probably isn't already known and also fluctuates. I like your idea better. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time I have time to kill at work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:09 pm 

Kevin Poulin signs a 1 year, 2-way deal. $600k if he's in the NHL, and a surprising $275k with Bridgeport. If I'm Greiss, I'm watching my back around Poulin, who probably knows this is his last year to make an impression at the NHL level, but has at least Greiss in his way.

No news on Brock Nelson. iiam: I guess both sides are waiting for the other to blink. Isles have that policy that any player not signed by training camp will be locked out for the year, and not be traded. So hopefully this happens soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 pm 

Matt Carkner signs a 2 year deal- to be a player/coach in Bridgeport.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm 

Still no word on Brock Nelson's negotiations. Neither side has leaked that they are far apart, but you'd think they'd have it done by now if they weren't. Wang is still majority owner this year, so it's assumed his rule stands that if a player isn't signed by the start of camp, they are locked out for the entire year. Sean Bergenheim found out the hard way that Wang meant business with the rule. He played the year in Europe.

So hopefully Nelson & Snow are close, and just keeping it all in-house. I keep checking to see if he's signed yet. At least it's something to look forward to I guess, in the hockey-slow month of August.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 pm 

3 PTOs: http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... contracts/

The Carkner PTO is slightly odd, since they already signed him to an AHL contract. The other 2 make sense and will probably earn 2-way contracts and spend all their time in Bridgeport.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:40 am 

According to the fourth period, Isles have begun extension talks with Okposo. Glad to hear this, since he's been there so long and seems to whole heartedly buy into the core group's abilities. That said, he's rumored to be asking $7 million/year, which the Isles won't be able to afford. Home team discount? Maybe a little, but I can't see him knocking $2 million/year off his asking price. He seems to like playing with Tavares & probably benefits from it. He's most likely to stay on that line this year unless talks go poorly & he's traded. I'd like to see him stick around, but not for the $ he is supposedly asking for. That would mean they'd have to move other players, unless the cap skyrockets. They've got quite a few 2016 RFAs who will need big raises including Strome. Okposo plays more physically than Strome, but Strome might be more talented and possibly a better fit with Tavares.

Frans Nielsen will also be a UFA next year, along with Matt Martin & Grabner. I can see them keeping Martin, with a slight pay raise. Nielsen & Grabner may well be entering their last years as Isles. I'd hate to see Nielsen go. He's underrated in so many ways. Grabner won't fetch much on the trade market unless he shows he's fully healed from hernia surgery, and maybe practiced breakaways all summer like I've been saying for years he should do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next