OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So it begins...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles send Bouchard & Regin (their big off-season acquisitions) to Chicago for a 4th round pick. At least Snow is admitting his mistakes. Misfit Island doesn't cure everyone.

I'm glad to see both go. Regin was not as good on faceoffs as he was supposed to be. And playing with Nielsen (his childhood friend) didn't help him any.

Bouchard has been in Bridgeport for the last 20 games, scoring 17 points there.

This moves comes about 4 months after fans after fans had been calling for it.

Edit- Bouchard sent to AHL. Regin to Blackhawks.

Post subject: Re: So it begins...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:22 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The audition line for the part of Hawks 2nd line center is getting longer than the one for the pisser between periods at any given game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Saw this and thought the return was low, but didn't see that Bouchard had been in the AHL.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 am 

Just read that the Isles are retaining half of each player's salary. Guess the Blackhawks are really close to the cap. Seems like Snow really hosed himself on these guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 am 

Snow supposedly still talking with Vanek's agent, trying to make use of his exclusive negotiating time. It's not like Vanek's 1 assist in the Prolympics is helping his cause any.

Grabner is leading the Prolympics with 5 goals. Can someone please explain this to me? Guy couldn't buy a fucking goal for the Isles from like October-January, and now he's had 5 in 3 games. He'll come back to the Isles & have 2 more all year. I say trade his ass while his value his high. Package up the Austrians. Why not? Grabner hasn't been shit since his rookie year.

Tavares is pointless? WTF Canada? Don't fuck him up.

Prolympics= stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:26 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Grabner is leading the Prolympics with 5 goals. Can someone please explain this to me? Guy couldn't buy a fucking goal for the Isles from like October-January, and now he's had 5 in 3 games. He'll come back to the Isles & have 2 more all year. I say trade his ass while his value his high. Package up the Austrians. Why not? Grabner hasn't been shit since his rookie year.

Thought I saw something earlier in the year about him being #2 on the team facing the stiffest competition yet still held a positive differential. If so maybe you don't want to jettison him to quickly.

Chris18 wrote:

He's lost and confused, doesn't understand how to play with talented players around him. Everyone's a little awkward their first time at anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
He's lost and confused, doesn't understand how to play with talented players around him. Everyone's a little awkward their first time at anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Thought I saw something earlier in the year about him being #2 on the team facing the stiffest competition yet still held a positive differential. If so maybe you don't want to jettison him to quickly.

Grabner's a -10 on the season at this point. He plays on the PK, so if that's what you mean by playing against stiffest competition, well okay.

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Right, because Okposo sucks at only 1 point/game. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:32 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Grabner's a -10 on the season at this point. He plays on the PK, so if that's what you mean by playing against stiffest competition, well okay.

Don't use plus/minus to measure a player's worth. Especially on a team with goaltending as shitty as this.

According to behindthenet.ca, Grabner's Quality of Competition is 3rd on the team, behind Vanek and de Haan of all people. I thought he was relatively sheltered, but I guess if he's on Nielsen's line that makes sense since he's the team's top two-way player.

Basically Grabner is out there against the opposition's best players every night. Minus-10 in that situation is pretty impressive considering. I think I'm changing my mind on Grabner, but I still think the Isles should move Bailey (though he too is on Nielsen's line and so is also in a similar situation).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 pm 

My issue with Grabner is his inability to score on the 100 or so breakaways he has each season. It's pathetic. If you've got top 5 NHL speed, you fucking work on breakaways. All summer long. I've been saying it since he arrived on LI- he needs to spend 1 entire week's worth of practice working with the backup goalie on nothing but breakaways. One of them is bound to get better. He should spend 20% of his offseason training on breakaways. It's just far too common to hear the announcers excitedly start out "and here's Grabner on a breakaway. He's in all alone aaaaaaand, puts it into the goalie's chest for an easy save." Enough. Figure it out. He'd be a frigging Hart candidate if he could convert on half, instead of 10%. :x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm 

What was it Grabner cost you to develop or trade for or however you found him. Oh yeah, you got him for free off waivers.

2nd line player facing the toughest competition for $3mil a year and you're concerned he doesn't pick up 2 or 3 more goals a year on breakaways?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:54 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
My issue with Grabner is his inability to score on the 100 or so breakaways he has each season. It's pathetic. If you've got top 5 NHL speed, you fucking work on breakaways. All summer long. I've been saying it since he arrived on LI- he needs to spend 1 entire week's worth of practice working with the backup goalie on nothing but breakaways. One of them is bound to get better. He should spend 20% of his offseason training on breakaways. It's just far too common to hear the announcers excitedly start out "and here's Grabner on a breakaway. He's in all alone aaaaaaand, puts it into the goalie's chest for an easy save." Enough. Figure it out. He'd be a frigging Hart candidate if he could convert on half, instead of 10%. :x

Well, the fact that he's getting those breakaways and scaring the shit out of the opposition is still a win in and of itself. It'd be nice if he converted more, I'm sure, but when he gets a breakaway that's just more time the opposition is wasting time and energy hustling back to the defensive zone to try and stop him.

And he scored the OT winner against the Avs in the first Avs/Isles game of this season, not on the initial breakaway itself, but he managed to swing around and score on the rebound.

He probably has the speed and hockey sense, just doesn't have the hands. I remember Dean McAmmond scored well for the Flames alongside Iginla and Conroy, then he was flipped to the Avs and did nothing. Then I saw why. He was awarded a penalty shot that season and proceeded to stickhandle his way in like I chop onions. He of course didn't score. He had a good shot, yes, but hands of stone. So long as you can utilize his speed on the forecheck and use him to disrupt whatever the opposition is doing, then he'll be worth his weight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:30 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
What was it Grabner cost you to develop or trade for or however you found him. Oh yeah, you got him for free off waivers.

2nd line player facing the toughest competition for $3mil a year and you're concerned he doesn't pick up 2 or 3 more goals a year on breakaways?

:lol: 2-3 more goals? :lol: More like 20-30. The guy averages more than 1 breakaway/game, yet he scores on like 8% of them. He didn't have a goal from October-January. If he were to work on breakaways as much as I say he should & still only get 2-3 more, that would be far more sad.

As far as what they gave up to get him, to me that's pretty irrelevant after a guy has been on your team for 3-4 seasons. I don't care after that much time what they gave up to get him (in most cases). And yes in Grabner's case, Snow took a chance and did VERY well that year, and Grabner's been okay since then. He's good on the PK, but not stellar. Pretty sure theirs is the worst in the league, so that doesn't say much in his defense. And I know, the Isles goalies & D suck... Oh well.

But I don't really understand why you seem so annoyed with me. Am I saying to waive him? No. I'm saying he's not living up to his potential for the Isles but probably has high value after his production in the Prolympics, so sell if a good offer is there. I hardly think that's criminal or insanely stupid. I'm tired of seeing him fly down the ice & put it into the goalie's logo. He has an incredible gift & can't learn how to use it. So if you can get decent return, send him on his way. That's all. Geez.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

But I don't really understand why you seem so annoyed with me. Am I saying to waive him? No. I'm saying he's not living up to his potential for the Isles but probably has high value after his production in the Prolympics, so sell if a good offer is there. I hardly think that's criminal or insanely stupid. I'm tired of seeing him fly down the ice & put it into the goalie's logo. He has an incredible gift & can't learn how to use it. So if you can get decent return, send him on his way. That's all. Geez.

Not annoyed with you at all, I'd have to care about the Isles to get annoyed. It's really just a difference of opinion, perhaps you've become so used to being alone in here you're forgotten what that is? :P

1. Trying to point out that considering who he plays against (QoC rating) and what his salary is I think he has more value to the Isles than you seem to think he does.
2. I don't think whether he plays well or not at the Olympics will increase or decrease his trade value even a little.
3. 50% break away success rate is elite, be happy if he ever gets 25% and that's way more than the Sedins are capable btw. Some just don't do well in this context.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm 

Too bad there are no FLA fans on here. Both the Canucks and Panthros kinda screwed themselves on Grabner. The trade for Ballard wasn't so horrible, but the subsequent contract ended up being a big fat bust and a compliance buyout. But that pales in comparison to Tallon thinking he could sneak Grabner through waivers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Not annoyed with you at all, I'd have to care about the Isles to get annoyed. It's really just a difference of opinion, perhaps you've become so used to being alone in here you're forgotten what that is? :P

1. Trying to point out that considering who he plays against (QoC rating) and what his salary is I think he has more value to the Isles than you seem to think he does.
2. I don't think whether he plays well or not at the Olympics will increase or decrease his trade value even a little.
3. 50% break away success rate is elite, be happy if he ever gets 25% and that's way more than the Sedins are capable btw. Some just don't do well in this context.

Okay, "annoyed with" was the totally wrong term. And no I'm not used to people disagreeing with me. "You shouldn't disagree with me. My brother disagreed with me once. Once." (End loose Danny Vermin reference)

And my replies:
1. I get what you're saying. But in my eyes he was largely brought in to score. He is good defensively, but I'm looking for more.
2. I was saying to move him before the Prolympics. I didn't just start after his hat trick. Although I do think it helps slightly; certainly doesn't hurt his trade value. Unless GMs are aware of his streakiness, and think like me that now he won't score again for a month.
3. I'd be very happy with a 25% rate! That would mean he'd have at least 21 breakaway goals/year! Seriously, the guy gets more than 1/game. Islanders Point Blank used to keep record of it, but lost track like 16 games in, if that. He was something like 2/22 at that time. I guess I'm also annoyed at the half wit coaching staff that doesn't have him practicing more breakaways. Hire Pavel Bure in the offseason to work with him. Do something different, and stop just hoping he gets better at them.

At this point, the Isles need some major changes. Yes, they mainly need a goalie, not to blow up the offense. But if packaging the 2 Austrians can bring in a good goalie, I'd say bye to them in Austrian (if I knew how :lol: ).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 am 

Hooray, Prolympic freeze thaws tonight. Back to reading made up rumors!
Latest is the Isles weren't getting any real offers for Vanek. They might only get some draft picks for him. His Prolympic bed shitting didn't exactly help any. 1 assist in 4 games, had his team out partying the night before a game & is hated in his home Austria now. Excellent work Mr. Vanek. Few people can turn their entire home nation against them with a single night's actions. You've got a gift!

MacDonald- no updates on his situation.

No other Isles rumors, besides that Ryan Strome & Anders Lee are expected to be called up to replace the injured Tavares & Nielsen. If/when Vanek and/or MacDonald are traded, I expect to see Malmo & Pedan called up, respectively (F & D). Malmo has played very well with Strome & Lee, who have been Bridgeport's top line all year when Strome wasn't on the Isles.

Back to wishing for a goalie...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:43 am 

Strome, Lee & Halmo called up. Halmo hasn't played in the NHL before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:22 pm 

Vanek & MacDonald both with the team, and they supposedly didn't bring any extra players. So if those guys are being moved, I guess it's after the game.

Then again, this IS the Islanders... They could be moved during warm ups and told to leave the ice. "What games? We thought the season was all about the trade deadline?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:33 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
They could be moved during warm ups and told to leave the ice. "What games? We thought the season was all about the trade deadline?"

Or the Habs and trade during the end of the second period.