OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clusterfuck
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

One of the Isles biggest moves this offseason- moving Nino for Clutterbuck, took a bad turn in last night's preseason game. I haven't seen video but apparently Clusterfuck hit a Flame player & went over the Flame's hip, and somehow cut his own leg- badly. Capuano says Clusterfuck will miss "an extended period of time". No idea if that means a tendon or something major like that. Fuck a goat.

Post subject: Re: Clusterfuck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:35 pm 

Out 4-6 weeks. Doesn't sound like he got a tendon or anything. Still sucks. He was supposedly in great shape. Hope this isn't a good prediction of the season to come.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Meh...no biggie.

Put it this way, the Wylde used him as a feature player and went NOWHERE in five seasons. I don't think it was a bad trade for NY, he's good at what he does, but he has very limited utility. Dude throws hits. That's it. He uses his ability to throw hits to crash the net and score the occasional greasy goal, but he really has no business on a scoring line. The Isles shouldn't make the same mistake as Minnesota and put him anywhere in their top six. They have enough depth IMO to mitigate his loss.

Oh, and make sure you have a goon on standby. Clutterbuck never cleans up his own messes. Once he waited until the refs came in to break up a potential skirmish before he started swinging. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:51 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Meh...no biggie.

Put it this way, the Wylde used him as a feature player and went NOWHERE in five seasons. I don't think it was a bad trade for NY, he's good at what he does, but he has very limited utility. Dude throws hits. That's it. He uses his ability to throw hits to crash the net and score the occasional greasy goal, but he really has no business on a scoring line. The Isles shouldn't make the same mistake as Minnesota and put him anywhere in their top six. They have enough depth IMO to mitigate his loss.

Oh, and make sure you have a goon on standby. Clutterbuck never cleans up his own messes. Once he waited until the refs came in to break up a potential skirmish before he started swinging. :roll:

He was on the third line, where he belongs. I don't think they're relying on him for 15 goals. He's just a potential fan favorite/spark guy the fans were looking forward to seeing.
Just a bummer to see him hurt in a pre-season game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:25 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Meh...no biggie.

He was on the third line, where he belongs. I don't think they're relying on him for 15 goals. He's just a potential fan favorite/spark guy the fans were looking forward to seeing.
Just a bummer to see him hurt in a pre-season game.

It's more amusing to see someone lamenting the loss of Cluterbuck :smilewink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 pm 

I guess the good news is that he was brought in the be the next Trent Hunter, and sure enough, he gets busy being the next Trent Hunter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
It's more amusing to see someone lamenting the loss of Cluterbuck :smilewink:

I think that's partially because they gave up a former #5 pick for him. Even if Nino was a prima dona with 1 point in 55 NHL games, you have to hope the guy they gave him up for will help. :lol:

And why the fuck have there been so many skate lacerations in the last 3 years or so? I started wearing those kevlar socks (ones that go under the shinpads, not the team color uniform style ones that supposedly have very little flex to them). I find they are flexible/stretchy where they need to be. Maybe more NHLers should wear these.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I guess the good news is that he was brought in the be the next Trent Hunter, and sure enough, he gets busy being the next Trent Hunter.

??? Trent Hunter was brought in to score, and secondarily hit. Clusterfuck was brought in to hit & annoy the shit out of opponents, and play on the third line. Only way I see them using him on the PP or in any scoring role is if the PP is doing poorly for a while and they want a crease disruption kind of plan for a few games to change things up/get it going.

Hunter was never the same after getting his ass handed to him by Derian Hatcher. His 1 & only NHL fight did not go well, and he played like a candy ass after it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:56 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

??? Trent Hunter was brought in to score, and secondarily hit. Clusterfuck was brought in to hit & annoy the shit out of opponents, and play on the third line. Only way I see them using him on the PP or in any scoring role is if the PP is doing poorly for a while and they want a crease disruption kind of plan for a few games to change things up/get it going.

Hunter was never the same after getting his ass handed to him by Derian Hatcher. His 1 & only NHL fight did not go well, and he played like a candy ass after it.

I know he was a scorer when he started out, but most of the time (at least what I saw) he did more hitting and space-clearing than he did scoring. He also spent a lot of time hurt.

And I'm betting Clutterbuck will see time w/Moulson and Tavares. Just a hunch. Coaches just love the guy's effort level.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:42 pm 

Hunter's years with the Isles he played 77, 82, 77, 82, then he started getting hurt & played 55, 61, & 17 games, and was let go. Then he shuttled between LA & their AHL team, playing 38 in the N, 20 in the A, and retired after 11-12. His injured Islander years were during the plague of doom that hit the Isles, and everyone down to peanut vendors were pulling groins.

As for Clusterfuck playing on Tavares' line- he did in juniors, and Tavares said he was a huge help clearing space for Tavares. So it's definitely not a stretch for it to happen. And if Bouchard struggles for some reason, why not? Bringing in Moulson simply because he had good ties to Tavares has certainly paid dividends. Not saying he deserves that spot at all, and I doubt he'll end up there (other than potential PP struggles like I stated above). I am 99% sure Okposo, Strome or Nelson would find themselves there long before Clusterfuck.

I'd prefer to see a line of Clusterfuck, Cizikas & Martin. They'd knock the shit out of any opposing line. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm 

Clutterbuck is healing ahead of schedule. He's been practicing with the team, and not in a non-contact jersey. They've got 23 on the roster, so this means someone else is going to leave. Poulin & Cizikas have the only 2 way deals on the team. Cizikas has proven he's a legit NHLer, even if only on a 4th line. I could see the other players being pissed if he's sent away. Poulin is the backup goalie so he's not going anywhere. Reinhart can be returned to juniors & Matt Donovan or Brock Nelson can be returned to Bridgeport (okay, so yeah, they're on 2 way deals as well then. :lol: ). But both have looked good in the 2 games they've played. Not out of place at all. I assume Reinhart is heading back to juniors, unless someone else is placed on IR (which I doubt will happen).

I'm looking forward to seeing Clutterbuck's impact on this team. And other teams.

Through 2 games Niederreiter has 1 assist & is a -2 for the Wylde.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 am 
OTP Historian

2-way deals don't imply that they can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers, it just means that they have a different salary in the AHL than the NHL. Service time affects waiver eligibility and in some cases, AHL salary on a 2-way deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 am 

OT here, but what do you think of Regin so far? I feel like the Isles don't need him if they got Cizikas and Nelson to round out the 3rd and 4th line roles, but I'm certainly no expert.

Ideally, Strome will be ready to take on that 2nd line role next year and Nielsen can be bumped down to 3rd line where he belongs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 pm 

Bosc wrote:
2-way deals don't imply that they can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers, it just means that they have a different salary in the AHL than the NHL. Service time affects waiver eligibility and in some cases, AHL salary on a 2-way deal.

Huh, didn't know that. Thanks. Do you know the criteria for needing waivers? 100 games in the NHL or something like that?

Av-merican wrote:
OT here, but what do you think of Regin so far? I feel like the Isles don't need him if they got Cizikas and Nelson to round out the 3rd and 4th line roles, but I'm certainly no expert.

Ideally, Strome will be ready to take on that 2nd line role next year and Nielsen can be bumped down to 3rd line where he belongs.

Regin's only notable moment was being crosschecked by a BJ player & sliding into Nabby, while a centering pass went off of him past Nabby for the tying goal the other night. Besides that he's really been invisible. Isles fans are calling for he and/or Bouchard to be waived to make room for Clutterbuck. Not this fan mind you. I have more patience than the Flyers brass. :fry: Bouchard has been invisible, and has been told by Capuano he needs to be stronger on the puck and go after pucks harder. I think he's kind of pouting, thinking he automatically was a lock for the 1st line, and is pissed about playing on the 3rd (with Regin & Nelson). Nelson is the only one on that line who has done anything so far. Not bad for a rookie. He's hit the post twice that I can think of, and has thrown his weight around more than I expected him to. So I don't think he ought to be demoted. Donavan too. Nelson would be a good 2nd liner, great 3rd liner.
I agree with you, that Regin is really not needed. Cizikas is more aggressive going after the puck, Nielsen is better overall & the other C is Tavares. I don't know if they signed Regin for depth, or just to make Nielsen happy short term, that his childhood BFF is on the team. But having to get rid of him may make Nielsen unhappy. Double edged sword.

To me the only logical thing to do is send Reinhart back to juniors, and explain to him that it's a numbers game, he just needs more seasoning, and should work on xxxxxxxx. If he's pissed, let him work on those things & come back next year proving he's good enough to make the big team. If he pouts, he wasn't going to be a helpful player anyway (See Nino).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:16 pm 

This probably explains the waiver situation for the Isles best:

http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... n-to-make/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
This probably explains the waiver situation for the Isles best:

http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... n-to-make/

It also gives you a window into the instability of Islanders fans. :roll: Read the insanity in the comments. If these people were all in one room I'd assume there was several cans of acetone open. But they're all over the place, so it's just Isles fans in general.

EDIT- No Clutterbuck tonight. Still not ready to play. Leaves the roster spot open for debate for another 2 days. And Capuano has announced the same lineup as Sunday. So why keep Reinhart around to sit in the press box???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:42 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The waiver qualification rules are a bit weird. Anyone on an ELC is free from them. Once that is over, generally you are subject to waivers, but some NCAA guys on second contracts are exempt... I think if they sign them at age 22 or something they get 3 years. There's of course a weird loophole as there always is in the CBA to a pretty easy to remember rule:

Generally, on your second contract, you face waivers.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:21 pm 

Okay, so according to Capgeek the only Isles on ELCs are: goalie Poulin (not going anywhere unless they just swap he & Nilsson for playing time), d-men Donvan & Reinhart (who I think will go back to juniors), forwards Cizikas & Brock Nelson, both of whom have shown they belong in the NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 pm 

I is a genius. Reinhart back to juniors to make roster space for Clutterbuck. Now, which forward sits in favor of him? Regin got the fans off his back with a goal last night vs Phoenix. Bouchard? He's been virtually invisible, but he was supposed to have been their big UFA signing. No idea if they're ready to give up on him yet. It would also be a little weird to scratch him in favor of Clutterbuck, since they both came from Minny & are good friends. But the other would-be candidates are playing really well. Cizikas leads the team in faceoffs. Martin has been hitting everything, McDonald, Regin & Bailey all scored... Plus Bouchard knows Chicago, their next opponent. No idea what his points vs them are.