OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yeah. I've bagged on Snow at times, but overall I think he's done a great job with the limited budget he has. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for shrewd moves, and the ability to ice a potential playoff team on a half-shoestring with frayed ends budget. Hopefully Wang sells & the Isles get an owner more interested in the team winning than the development potential of the property they play on.

Future looks good, and I appreciate Snow standing his ground on deadline day. It must have been tempting to mortgage the future by trading the prospects for rentals, or to trade Streit for futures. I like that he's basically leaving it up to the players on the ice to decide if they're a win now or developing team. Keep the core together and see how they do. They are in 8th with 10 games to go. Granted, 7-12 are separated by 4 points in the east today, but they've got as good a chance as anyone to make it. *Actually, Islanders Point Blank had an article yesterday saying even though the Isles have played one more game than the Devils, Rangers & others, they have a great chance at the playoffs, because they have the "easiest schedule" the rest of the way. Hysterical to see all the "Your jinxing them!" comments (Sic on the "your").

So I'll sit back & enjoy the next 10 games. Or throw the remote. And for the record, while I may have given up on my boycott I have several great reasons. My wife & daughters are really into the season! Older daughter used to look up when goals were scored & not care much otherwise. Now she sits & watches entire games, commenting on who is out of position, when/where they should have passed, etc. AND, I've turned down good deals on tickets to games at the Coliseum a few times. Team mates have season tix & keep offering them to me. Nope. Still not going. I'll stand my ground on that. (However, I reserve the right to go if the Isles go deep in the playoffs, which I can kind of safely say since I don't think they will).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Yeah. I've bagged on Snow at times, but overall I think he's done a great job with the limited budget he has. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for shrewd moves, and the ability to ice a potential playoff team on a half-shoestring with frayed ends budget. Hopefully Wang sells & the Isles get an owner more interested in the team winning than the development potential of the property they play on.

Future looks good, and I appreciate Snow standing his ground on deadline day. It must have been tempting to mortgage the future by trading the prospects for rentals, or to trade Streit for futures. I like that he's basically leaving it up to the players on the ice to decide if they're a win now or developing team. Keep the core together and see how they do. They are in 8th with 10 games to go. Granted, 7-12 are separated by 4 points in the east today, but they've got as good a chance as anyone to make it. *Actually, Islanders Point Blank had an article yesterday saying even though the Isles have played one more game than the Devils, Rangers & others, they have a great chance at the playoffs, because they have the "easiest schedule" the rest of the way. Hysterical to see all the "Your jinxing them!" comments (Sic on the "your").

So I'll sit back & enjoy the next 10 games. Or throw the remote. And for the record, while I may have given up on my boycott I have several great reasons. My wife & daughters are really into the season! Older daughter used to look up when goals were scored & not care much otherwise. Now she sits & watches entire games, commenting on who is out of position, when/where they should have passed, etc. AND, I've turned down good deals on tickets to games at the Coliseum a few times. Team mates have season tix & keep offering them to me. Nope. Still not going. I'll stand my ground on that. (However, I reserve the right to go if the Isles go deep in the playoffs, which I can kind of safely say since I don't think they will).

46.2% chance to make the playoffs, definitely well within their control.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 pm 

Where does that number come from?

And I realized after that post that only 6 points separate 7-14. So this really could go any way, and I don't just mean the Isles.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:27 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Where does that number come from?

And I realized after that post that only 6 points separate 7-14. So this really could go any way, and I don't just mean the Isles.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

the east is a tossup, the west top 8 are pretty much set, it's more a matter of who plays who at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

Isles win tonight. Matt Martin with the game winner. iiam: Looking like playoff hockey. :shock:

Matt Moulson's consecutive games played came to an end due to the flu at 284. Bummer for Iron Matt. Until this he'd played every game since signing with the Isles, and his streak was approaching #2 on the Isles all time consecutive list, Billy Harris' 303 games. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm 

Congratulations. Not a certainty but damn close. Over 75% chance projected now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am 

Rangers win last night & Playing Boston tonight will probably lower that %.

I'd obviously love to see them make it, but at this point I'm happy they are playing meaningful games at this time of year. Usually by now I'm looking at the draft lottery %s, and top prospects. So this is a welcome change.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 pm 

Visnovsky won't return to the Isles until at least after the Prolympics. Fucking hell. Concussions is no jokes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:15 pm 

:shock: Viz skated with the team yesterday!!! Holy crap. He may return.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm 

Now the story is Visnovsky will return before the Prolympics, but won't play for Slovakia in them. He has been cleared for contact. Good step!