OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Didn't take too long for info to leak:
http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... ls-bidder/
A few odd things in that article. Says Barroway is 41, yet get his JD (first law degree one can obtain in the US) in 91, when he'd have been 18. Quick research shows one has to finish law school to earn a JD, so maybe the info taken from his LinkedIn page was not up to date (on his age that is). Hopefully. Otherwise this sounds like Spano 2.0!!! Or perhaps it was a typo & he's 51. 41 & rich enough to buy a team would be incredible.

Hopefully Mr. Barrow-wight can release some of his treasures.

I am hopeful something can happen here. Wang has to go ASAP. And I can only hope that Barrow-wight realizes Snow must go, along with Capuano & Dunham. New owners usually come in & throw money at every perceived problem. Hopefully that's the case!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 pm 

Wang supposedly wants $370 million for an outright sale. $300 million for him to stick around as a minority partner. Nobody is paying either of those for this team. My crappy day has gotten worse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:45 pm 

Kevin from Islanders Point Blank responded to my email about Barroway, saying the article he was quoting was from 2008, so Barroway is 46 or 47 now, and would have earned his JD at 23 or 24. Phew. Not Spano 2.0. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:38 am 

FWIW: http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... dying-bid/

Hoping, not expecting.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:16 pm 

Islanders Point Blank say that Gretzky is rumored to be Isles president under next ownership. Uh huh. And I'm, well, Gretzky.

Milbury supposedly said the Isles are lucky Vanek turned down their contract offer.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Milbury supposedly said the Isles are lucky Vanek turned down their contract offer.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:05 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

Yep.
Then Ray Ferraro tweeted that it's too bad Yashin accepted Milbury's offer. :lol: As all Isles fans know, it was Wang who made that offer, not Milbury, but anytime someone publicly slams Milbury, it's all good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:33 pm 

Supposedly just waiting for Wang to decide he wants to let go of 80% of the team:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B ... Shift.aspx

I could see him fighting Barroway on firing his people though. Wang is loyal to his people, whether they are good or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:01 pm 

Lots of reports that Barroway has walked away. No news if Wang is talking with anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 am 

Wang can't even sell the team without a fiasco: http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... ell-isles/

I'd be happy about him supposedly agreeing to sell to someone else, but that's probably just a BS negotiating ploy to jack the price up higher.

So much for all the joy this off-season has brought.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:39 pm 

Turns out one of Barroway's law suit advisors is Bettman's half-brother. Weird.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 pm 

No doubt Bettman would love for Wang to GTFO...wouldn't be surprised if he were trying to orchestrate a quiet ouster behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
No doubt Bettman would love for Wang to GTFO...wouldn't be surprised if he were trying to orchestrate a quiet ouster behind the scenes.

That's what partially concerns me. Wang my try to say there was some sort of tampering with the purchase. Bettman's half-bro might have access to insider info from the league...

In other Isles news- Al Arbour is reportedly suffering from dementia. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Chris18 wrote:
In other Isles news- Al Arbour is reportedly suffering from dementia. Sad.

Yes it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 3m
BREAKING NEWS: Charles Wang has agreed to sell the #Isles to John Ledecky, former co-owner of the Capitals, and investor Scott Malkin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm 

Yep! The two are going to be minority partners for the next 2 years when they fully buy Wang out. Glad I was wrong in thinking he was BSing about another interested party. Now my concern is Wang putting some sort of loophole in the contract about giving up his shared 2 years from now.

Now, to find a defenseman, and this will be an almost perfect off-season. :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm 

How are people feeling about the move to Brooklyn?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:22 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
How are people feeling about the move to Brooklyn?

Totally mixed. I like it, but a ton of season ticket holders vow they will never go to Brooklyn. Doubt they'll hold on to that, but Long Island is a strange place. It's so close to NYC, but has a totally different culture. Brooklyn & Queens are physically on Long Island, but are politically part of NYC, which "Long Island, proper", isn't. So there is major culture clash. Lots of Long Islanders are considering the Isles sell outs, saying they're catering to the hipster crowd, trying to be the Rangers Jr., etc. None of it makes sense. I believe the move is less than 30 miles, but many of these old Isles fans apparently would have rather seen them move to Quebec, Seattle, KC... There is a call for them to change the team name, since they won't be "in" Long Island anymore.

Some people see the new ownership group as hope that the team can move back into the Coliseum after it's renovated. I seriously doubt that. The story around the lease in Brooklyn has been that it is "iron clad". Don't think a new owner can simply wave a wand and delete the lease. Story I've heard is that the Sound Tigers will be moved to the Coliseum after it's renovated, to try and appease the Long Island fan base. The obvious punch line is that they watched a minor league Islanders team for 20 years, why not going forward? Follow-up rumor to that is the Wolf Pack (Rangers affiliate) will move from the ancient Hartford Civic Center into the Bridgeport arena. It's 8k seats vs the always empty 12k seat Civic Center, so it makes sense for them. Not to mention the Bridgeport arena is like 40 years newer.

Overall, the situation is still a shit show to some, but looks way better to me. :D

Ledecky's business reputation is that he likes to buy "fixer-upper companies" and make them successes. Well dude, you found a good candidate!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:15 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://fortune.com/2014/09/05/exclusive ... islanders/

Don't trust handshakes with Charles Wang.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:10 pm 

If he already had the Peak Ridge deal for $508 million why would he tell Barroway $420 million???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next