OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:27 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

A few updates:

Trottier did a radio interview & said he just wanted more time with his family, and that's why he quit the Isles job. Take that for what you will.

TSN did their off season game plan for the Isles- pretty much said to add a top 9 forward & a top 4 d-man, and some other d-men. They also suggested using Grabner, Okposo & Bailey as trade bait. Um, no. But then, few UFAs are going to sign with the Isles, so they may have to trade for good vets.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:16 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I read somewhere (Hornick or Botta, can't remember) that the Isles will likely try Bailey in Parenteau's spot if the latter leaves, and IMO that might be a mistake. He should be a scoring line center, and at the very least the Isles should play him there to start the season to beef up his trade value. And while Snow should entertain offers on Grabner/Okposo, it's way too early to give up on either of them. Well, maybe not Grabner, but you got him for nothing, so may as well see if he can yet be a decent 2nd line scoring threat once again.

The talent development on the Isles might be the worst in the league. Snow (and it might not be all his fault, but he's the GM and he deserves at least a lion's share of the blame) rushed Bailey, rushed Niederreiter, and might very well rush Strome next season, and both Bailey and Nino have suffered major setbacks as a result. Compare that to Adam Henrique (and yes this time I'm definitely stealing from Botta here) who was drafted two rounds later than Bailey in the same year (2008) and is only having his rookie season now, in 2011-12. He's a finalist for the Calder, and hasn't exactly been invisible in the playoffs either. Look, if you're gonna fill the roster with a bunch of PTOs, I don't see why you don't just add one more so you can keep kids in junior until they're good and ready. I read somewhere Nino was given a roster spot because Snow promised him one. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:52 pm 

Bailey seems more suited to wing, even if he's touted as a "natural center/centre". He is inconsistent at best, but who knows if that's due to development being rushed, or just being inconsistent.

Nino wasn't just rushed, he was ruined. And I blame Capuano for that. So you're given the big kid for the season. You start him on the 4th line, but even if he doesn't have numbers, you still try moving him up. He's a recent 1st round pick- he's got talent. He needs to play with guys who play an offensive game. Putting him with Reasoner, Martin or Pandolfo all season was a huge mistake. Snow should have told Capuano to move him up, or Capuano should have pulled his head out of his keister & done it. One goal & no assists. I can only hope that playing for the Swiss in the World Cup he gets a lot of time on the 1st or 2nd line, re-finds his confidence and comes into camp kicking ass & ready for a better spot.

Strome should stay in juniors another year. Kabonov is old enough for Bridgeport. At least they can keep a closer eye on him if he's there.

Parenteau said many times he wants to return, loves LI, loves playing with JT & is very thankful to the Isles for giving him a real shot to show he belongs in the NHL. He said he didn't want to negotiate during the season & be distracted by it. I think he wants to at least get close to UFA Day & drive the price up. If he hits the open market, the Isles will match a decent offer.... I hope. Who knows? Wang? HA!

Snow keeps saying they'll go into next season without major changes. Fine- but make the minor changes GOOD ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm 

Chris Botta, using that supremely annoying Sulia service to post a long tweet, wrote:
After years of claiming, "Garth has no restrictions," #Isles owner Charles Wang finally admitted to MSG in April that his team has always had to watch what it spends. Snow also used to claim he had no restrictions. Yet two summers ago, Snow made sure an agent got the word out that the Isles offered more $ to Paul Martin than Pitt. So the NYI, using faux bonuses to reach the floor while "calling" Kovalchuk, were okay paying a No. 4 dman like Martin more than $5 million a year for 5 years? Really?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Yeah, they probably offered Paul Martin more money, except it was spread out over 15 years. HIYO.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 am 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/22/gallof-islanders-snow-might-be-faced-with-mission-impossible-this-summer/

Gallof's take on the rebuild situation, and why it's taking so long.

Isles fans all over the shitheadnet are saying Snow should sign Parise for whatever he has to. Shya- like that'd happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13 pm 

Not sure if ESPN is looking for any way to bash the NHL, or if they're trying to convince Isles fans that Wang isn't the worst thing to happen to their favorite team. There's a 30 for 30 documentary in production on the time John Spano owned (read: Stole) the Isles. Entourage actor/open-Isles fan Kevin Connolly is doing the narration. Won't be out for a year or so according to reports.

http://islanderspointblank.com/uncategorized/espn-is-filming-a-documentary-on-john-spano-the-fradulent-owner-the-nhl-would-like-to-forget/#more-36562

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm 

Europeans with a great sense of humor:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406503

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 pm 

While the Panthers are giving $7/game season tickets with a free jersey and Buffalo are giving 50% off everything in the team store, the Isles are having a free Isles/Bridgeport (is there much of a difference?) scrimmage on Wednesday, with $1 hot dogs & soda, and 25% off team store merch. Oh, and free parking. Wa-fucking-hoooo! Those $1 hot dogs will bring fucking hordes of people. Don't know if the LIE can handle all that traffic. I mean wow. $1 hot dogs? AND $1 sodas? Fucking incredible deal, to charge people double the price they'd pay for the same shitty stuff at home! And 25% off team store items? Wow, once you brush the dust off, that Rick DiPietro jersey will be something for a mere $150! That's like $1 for every game he's played on his 15 year contract so far. (Actually, HAS he played 150 games on that? Actually seems kind of doubtful, and I'm not even kidding)

Sigh. Islanders. Sighlanders. That's this year's team motto. We're the Sighlanders. We don't give a shit about you, and frankly don't care if you come back, because our arena has been empty for a long ass time. We won't even notice if our 30+ year fans don't ever come back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm 

Now that the arena issue is finally settled & the Isles aren't moving, the new on-going saga will be Wang's ownership:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/wang_got_an_island_ers_to_sell_you_fr5G1LnsjlNKje6m8xHezN

Isles deny it. Let the shitstorm begin...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:52 pm 

Well, I heard Wang is finally putting the team up for sale. Can't happen soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Well, I heard Wang is finally putting the team up for sale. Can't happen soon enough.

Barclays arena deal makes it far more likely to happen. Everyone knows Wang bought the team with his main focus the re-development of the Coliseum property. With that out of the picture his interest has faded quickly. He supposedly loses $20 million/year with the team, and has resorted to trading for players who have no intention of playing to reach the salary floor. Smart business move in a vacuum, but fans are furious with his cheapness. He dumped money in when he first bought (like most new team owners), but has seriously curtailed those efforts over the last 8 or so years. It's pretty obvious that he's moving on with his life, and that most fans want him to. His crazy contracts, absurd business models and immaturity when (not) dealing with former employees far outweigh the money he put into the organization.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 am 

Holy crap. It's mid-July, the Isles have 23 rostered players, and are over the salary floor. :snoop: Not sure if Snow will have the roster space to pull his annual Macklemore GM maneuvers. I'm just hoping Wang sells or at least continues to stay uninvolved in contract talks. Not convinced he's learned his lessons, even after Yashin & DiPietro buyouts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

2-10-2 in November. No changes made to correct the situation. Yep, time to boot his ass.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 am 

Could it be...a light at the end of the tunnel!?!?

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 1150691328

Figures he might bail right when the move to Brooklyn is confirmed. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:51 pm 

Has to be fake news. It would make me too happy if true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:59 pm 

As usual, Chuck does his best to send Isles fans back into despair:

Quote:
Statement from #Isles owner Charles Wang: "In recent months, there have been numerous expressions of interest in the purchase of the New York Islanders. As I have consistently stated, I have been and remain willing to listen. However, potential buyers expressions of interest in the team or even my listening to them does not mean that any deal will be reached."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:17 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
As usual, Chuck does his best to send Isles fans back into despair:

Quote:
Statement from #Isles owner Charles Wang: "In recent months, there have been numerous expressions of interest in the purchase of the New York Islanders. As I have consistently stated, I have been and remain willing to listen. However, potential buyers expressions of interest in the team or even my listening to them does not mean that any deal will be reached."

Yep. Good ol' Chuck the Schmuck bringing us all crashing back down to Earth. Sell Chuckles. You don't deserve the team and the fans deserve better than you. This will probably drag out for years, with the Isles mired in the bottom 5 payrolls, and stuck with Snow & Capuano wasting the core of young talent.

:chris18:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 am 

To be honest though I'm not sure he's the worst owner in the NHL. I think Eugene Melnyk might be worse. Much worse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:49 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
To be honest though I'm not sure he's the worst owner in the NHL. I think Eugene Melnyk might be worse. Much worse.

Probably. But the Isles are on like their 4th straight shitty owner. 23 years since winning a playoff round. Fuck this team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next