It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/clar ... -330036716

:(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Horrible news. He was such a great guy, so charismatic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:56 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

What happened? Very sad. I remember an imposing power forward with that flowing helmetless hair.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What happened? Very sad. I remember an imposing power forward with that flowing helmetless hair.

I don't know yet. He apparently passed away during the game last night or shortly before. The Isles org found out as the game ended and damn if the broadcast team didn't do a hell of a job with a post-game video tribute. Butch Goring was nearly in tears talking about his old friend/teammate. Shannon Hogan did an amazing job while slightly crying. Players and Trotz were asked about Gillies. They all told great stories about how wonderful a guy he has been since retiring, staying on Long Island and with his foundation. Everyone talked about how kind he was. Except Butch, who reminded everyone that Gillies would beat the living crap out of anyone who messed with an Islander player, or anyone who got between him and the puck.

Without Gillies, the Isles don't win their first Cup, let alone 4. He and Nystrom met prior to their series vs Boston in 1980 and decided they'd eliminate the intimidation factor that O'Reilly and Jonathan had enjoyed for years. I don't remember which of them said it, but the agreement was that Gillies would take on O'Reilly and Nystrom would take on Jonathan the first chances they got. They did it, won the fights and the rest is history. I've heard Nystrom say they both knew the Isles' playoff chances depended on them winning those fights so they gave absolutely everything they had in them. It worked. Much respect to them both. Everyone remembers Nystrom scoring the Cup clinching goal in OT, but they wouldn't have gotten there without Gillies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsl76ewN2Uw

Good write up here- https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2022/1/21/22895958/islanders-legend-clark-gillies-passes-away-at-67
I didn't get to see Gillies play as much as I'd liked, but man they could sure use a player like him now. And the world could use more people like him. Damn shame. Passed far too young.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm 

My favorite Gillies story remains the one where he took a young Todd Bertuzzi under his wing and the fucking man-child went crying home to his wife because Clark was allegedly too hard on him. With all these stories about how kind and gracious he was, tells me all I need to know about Big Bert.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:24 pm 

I did not know until today that Gillies’ son-in-law was Justin Bourne. According to his wife, Gillies, daughter, it was cancer, and I guess it happened pretty quick after diagnosis. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:39 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I did not know until today that Gillies’ son-in-law was Justin Bourne. According to his wife, Gillies, daughter, it was cancer, and I guess it happened pretty quick after diagnosis. :cry:

That's what I was assuming because Nystrom was interviewed and said he'd seen Gillies just a few days earlier and he looked good, but he added "it just moved so fast".

I can't remember who it was but I remember a story about Gillies beating the hell out of someone who took a cheap shot on Bossy or another Islander scorer. A few years later while on the Sabres, the other guy got traded to the Sabres or was in camp... something like that, and Gillies had him over for dinner. Gillies' daughter asked the guy if he ever regretted getting into a fight and the guy looked at Gillies sheepishly and said something along the lines of "one, yeah". Gillies politely changed the conversation.

And yeah, I remember the Bertuzzi thing. The Isles wanted him to become the next Gillies. From all accounts he wasn't at all ready for Gillies coming at him on the ice. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:29 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I didn't get to see Gillies play as much as I'd liked, but man they could sure use a player like him now. And the world could use more people like him. Damn shame. Passed far too young.

Damn, RIP to a legend :( From all accounts, it sounds like he was a great dude and a fantastic ambassador for the Isles.

This is the story I always remember about him and my Dad had said it too.

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/statu ... 7186272261

Quote:
Pat Flately just shared this memory of Clark Gillies with me.

After Gillies went to the Sabres, #Isles game prep for games vs. Buffalo was telling younger Isles who hadn't played with Gillies not to get him mad. Just skate up and down alongside with him and don't get him going

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Damn, RIP to a legend :( From all accounts, it sounds like he was a great dude and a fantastic ambassador for the Isles.

This is the story I always remember about him and my Dad had said it too.

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/statu ... 7186272261

Quote:
Pat Flately just shared this memory of Clark Gillies with me.

After Gillies went to the Sabres, #Isles game prep for games vs. Buffalo was telling younger Isles who hadn't played with Gillies not to get him mad. Just skate up and down alongside with him and don't get him going

Doug Gilmour's Player's Tribune piece was similar "Don't wake the sleeping bear" was one of his quotes about Gillies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:01 pm 

Jean Potvin, Isles d-man and Denis' older brother, passed away the other night. He was 72.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/jean ... -331868756