OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brooklyn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/04/30/no/

I don't mind the first one too much. As much as I like the tradition of the colors, they're kind of ugly. I think going with black & white, with an orange/blue logo & maybe make the stripes on the sleeves orange & blue.

The first set with no map on it- that's asking for trouble. If anything they should expand the map to include all of geographic Long Island.

the 2nd design down- umm, Isle B??? I get the idea of including both the "Island" and Brooklyn, but Isle B sounds like Aisle B, where I get cereal... Stupid. And WTF is with the name on the back there: Callahan???? Um, what nitwit intern with no hockey knowledge did that???

Those bottom ones look like in-house Mites jerseys. I get that teams are going with simpler logos for easier viewing on small screens (ie, phones), but that's too simple and not stylish enough.

I kinda liked the current black third jersey when it came out. Team must hate it because they usually suck when wearing it, so I say ditch it ASAP. Think they have to wear it next year. I'm all for something that pays homage to the Isles history, but also agree they need to embrace their new community ASAP. But there needs to be a bit more transition, and they sure as hell need to know what names to put on the back of the samples to get people to buy in!

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Keep your colours and your logo. It's the sweater your team won 4 straight Stanley Cups in. Wear it proudly. Edmonton is finally getting their proper, original, colour scheme back. It's taken them long enough. Don't make the same mistake they did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

RW wrote:
Keep your colours and your logo. It's the sweater your team won 4 straight Stanley Cups in. Wear it proudly. Edmonton is finally getting their proper, original, colour scheme back. It's taken them long enough. Don't make the same mistake they did.

Well, technically, they already did, and are still doing so with those God-awful black third jerseys.

I didn't mind the darker iterations they wore with the silly Stanley Cup notch marks on the shoulder in the Bates-Peca-Parrish days, but apart from that, any variation on the classic Islanders look has been horrid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
I didn't mind the darker iterations they wore with the silly Stanley Cup notch marks on the shoulder in the Bates-Peca-Parrish days, but apart from that, any variation on the classic Islanders look has been horrid.

That's what those were?? Holy, you learn something new every day.

The main problem with black and white, apart from the loss in tradition, is that they end up just looking like the Kings. (Who have twice made the mistake of ditching a more interesting jersey to impress the high school kids).

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 am 

It's not so much following the Kings, as it is trying to appease a new fan base. Apparently some Brooklyners are pissed they're still going to be called the Islanders, since Brooklyn is too tough to be part of that sissy-place. And for the record, this isn't the Isles doing this, but the Brooklyn-based Barclay's Center folks trying to force assimilation on the Isles. Nets changed their colors when they moved to Brooklyn, so the Barclay's folks feel the Isles should too.

These are the designs being presented to focus groups to see if old & potential new fans would buy in. I'm not buying any of that...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Thoughts?

I agree with Skip and Bourne. No.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

The old school navy and orange and logo are great. As someone who grew up playing hockey during the Islander's dominant years those colors still suggest greatness to me no matter how bad the Islanders may have sucked over the past 10+ years. A travesty if they change!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 pm 

Huh. http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... f-remains/

Isles are handing over the sales & marketing departments to the Barclays folks. I didn't see that coming, but it sure makes sense why they are the ones running focus groups on new uniforms.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 am 

Latest rumor. One of the Barclays owners is the big dog involved in revamping the Coliseum. Supposedly the Isles 15 year lease has a very easy out-clause and the real plan all along was to have the Isles play in Brooklyn while they renovate the Coliseum, then move back to a new & improved original location. There have been drawings circulating of the "final" design & it looks rather space-stationish.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Latest rumor. One of the Barclays owners is the big dog involved in revamping the Coliseum. Supposedly the Isles 15 year lease has a very easy out-clause and the real plan all along was to have the Isles play in Brooklyn while they renovate the Coliseum, then move back to a new & improved original location. There have been drawings circulating of the "final" design & it looks rather space-stationish.

That sounds like a terrible plan if you ask me. Unless they're going to massively improve public transit in Nassau County.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 am 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That sounds like a terrible plan if you ask me. Unless they're going to massively improve public transit in Nassau County.

Agreed, but the move to Brooklyn has a few major alterations I hadn't thought of before. As of now Isles fans love to tailgate games. No possibility of that in Brooklyn. It will totally change the fan culture. Sounds like it isn't a big deal, but during the tailgating the fans get to know each other & have more of a community feel than most teams that play in more urban areas. It'll be a big change.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:22 am 

Nassau County reps have released a statement saying the 3 Isles playoff games are bringing at least $4 million into the area, each bringing $500k directly to the county gov (sales tax, parking, etc). They sound ecstatic. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you are among the idiots who didn't want to bother keeping the team around. Maybe they know about this Brooklyn Bait & Switch, where the Isles will supposedly play in Brooklyn long enough to renovate the Coliseum? Who the fuck knows at this point. It's the Isles.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 pm 

Now the nonsense about them moving to Brooklyn, but playing 6 games/year at the Coliseum sounds like the real deal. WTF? What pro sports team has a summer home? You have one fucking home rink, and maybe a pre-season location that's different. That's it.
If the LI dicks can't be bothered to drive or take mass transit 30 minutes, then fuck them with shovels. What a bunch of whiny assholes. Maybe if they'd gone to games or not voted down the referendum they wouldn't be in this situation. Be glad the team is only moving 30 minutes "off Long Island". Could have been KC or Quebec. Shit weasels.

Only the Islanders. They finally get a new arena, make the playoffs, play well enough to earn some positive press, and they wipe their asses with the pages & yell for everyone to look at their shit. Fucking tools. The players finally have their shit together, there's a GM with a decent plan, and the non-hockey folks make a shit-show. Damn them.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:53 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Here in Australia, every team seems to have a neutral site home away from home. Regular season matches are played in cities without teams like Canberra, Hobart (Tasmania), Darwin, Wellington (New Zealand), etc.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Here in Australia, every team seems to have a neutral site home away from home. Regular season matches are played in cities without teams like Canberra, Hobart (Tasmania), Darwin, Wellington (New Zealand), etc.

Yeah, but these aren't neutral site games. Just sounds dumb to me to leave a place, then go back for 6/41 home games. If it's good enough to play in, stay there. If it's going to be renovated & nicey nice, then stay there. 3/4 of the current fan base are pissed that they're moving to Brooklyn. Now a bunch of the Brooklyn based people are pissed they'll be going back to Nassau.... Trying to please everyone, and instead are pissing everyone off. I just find it to be another embarrassing thing that only the Islanders would do.

Forgot to mention- they have a plan for "heritage nights". What that tells me is they are switching to one of those black/white uniforms & wearing blue & orange at Nassau for 6 games.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Yeah, but these aren't neutral site games. Just sounds dumb to me to leave a place, then go back for 6/41 home games. If it's good enough to play in, stay there. If it's going to be renovated & nicey nice, then stay there. 3/4 of the current fan base are pissed that they're moving to Brooklyn. Now a bunch of the Brooklyn based people are pissed they'll be going back to Nassau.... Trying to please everyone, and instead are pissing everyone off. I just find it to be another embarrassing thing that only the Islanders would do.

Forgot to mention- they have a plan for "heritage nights". What that tells me is they are switching to one of those black/white uniforms & wearing blue & orange at Nassau for 6 games.

No, those are actually considered home games for the teams. They pick the site, they generally go back to the same one year after year. They're encouraged to do it to make the sport more 'national'.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

No, those are actually considered home games for the teams. They pick the site, they generally go back to the same one year after year. They're encouraged to do it to make the sport more 'national'.

Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood your first post. I get that idea. Kinda cool, to try & create a fan base in a 2nd area. But that's part of what makes this so stupid. (Just google-mapped it: 39 minutes from Coliseum to Barclays). 39 minutes away isn't going to change your fan base. This is just silly.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 pm 

The NBA used to do that too. The Celtics played some home games in Hartford, and the Bullets did in Baltimore. I don't know how long that actually lasted, though. And of course you have the Buffalo Bills' annual Gouge-the-Torontonians Day.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
The NBA used to do that too. The Celtics played some home games in Hartford, and the Bullets did in Baltimore. I don't know how long that actually lasted, though. And of course you have the Buffalo Bills' annual Gouge-the-Torontonians Day.

Isn't that actually called "Rogers doing what they do every day Day"?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:

Never heard of any of that. Interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next