OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles playing the Devils at the Barclays center in a pre-season game this October. 1st pro sports event to take place in the new building. (Kind of odd, since the Nets paid for the joint) Coliseum has been nailed for asbestos, which SMG (managing company) claims is safe. County Exec Mangano claims it is safe, but the issue highlights the need for a new arena- in Nassau County.

Whatever. Just win some fucking games and make the playoffs.

Post subject: Re: Brooklyn
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bettman seemed to indicate Barclays Center could be a possible destination for the Isles after visiting recently.

Also, there's this from Chris Botta:

Quote:
NHL source on #Isles: “If a lot doesn’t change in the next year, it could come down to Brooklyn short-term or someplace far away forever.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Sad for Long Islanders but I think having a team in Brooklyn would be pretty awesome. Sounds like a good short-term solution at least. I've been to a game at the Coliseum and found it a little run down but not bad, although that was over 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 pm 

:laap: 20 years ago... That was half the Coliseum's life ago. That's like saying "Kelly Labroc looked really good in Weird Science. Bet she's hot now too." I don't go to games to see the arena, but I have to say the Coliseum is a dump now.

I wouldn't mind Brooklyn. It'd be a little closer for me, and let's be honest- Brooklyn sounds a lot tougher than LI. I remember some BS about that being too close to the Rangers, that they'd have to pay them for area rights- again. But I'd rather that than them move to KC, Quebec or any other place looking to lure a team that will be good soon. No Avs 2.0.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:12 pm 

Looks like the "1st ever pro sports event at the Barclays Center" won't be the Isles/Devils pre-season game afterall. Another lockout casualty. They sold tix & t-shirts for the game. Wonder what they'll go for on Ebay in 10 years.

Rumor was they were going to have the AHL affiliates play the game instead- but they AHL schedule was already done & the teams were not able to make this.

Nice going Wang. You pissed on your own move threat. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 pm 
OTP Historian

So Islanders announced that they're moving after the lease expires in 2014-2015:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408031

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:30 pm 

Well I'm happy they won't leave ny. Still find the obstructed view seating odd and the 14,500 capacity will cause ticket prices to be sky high. Plus being in Brooklyn will make the isles a hipster team. They'll have to serve pbr at games & sell Hansen bro glasses. Still better than kc though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I think that's great news all-around. The team stays put (essentially), but also moves into an accessible neighborhood where there is a ton of growth potential for them. And don't even have to change the team name or identity. I know you're kidding about the hispters comment, but there might actually be a bit of potential tapping into this (annoying) demographic, provided the NHL (and especially the non-Rangers NHL) isn't considered too "mainstream". The MLS' Portland Timbers have become wildly popular in the other great hipster hub of the United States.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:36 pm 

I really hope the NHL isn't seriously considering KC again. I'm assuming there will be a team in Seattle though.

Anyhow, I suppose if there can be "Lakers" in Los Angeles, "Jazz" in Utah, and two "New York" teams playing in New Jersey, then there can be "Islanders" who are no longer on the Island.

What's sad though is that Wang is still in charge. I suppose he deserves props for not moving the team clear out of the state, but he's still a wildly incompetent owner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 pm 

Av- Brooklyn is physically on Long Island. It's politically a borough of NYC, which Long Island is not though. Should all be interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av- Brooklyn is physically on Long Island. It's politically a borough of NYC, which Long Island is not though. Should all be interesting!

Oh. Really? Whoops...guess that's why I never did well whenever we did geography in school. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm 
OTP Clown

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Oh. Really? Whoops...guess that's why I never did well whenever we did geography in school. :?

I should start a tv show called "get the american a map" where I teach basic geography to you yanks...

For folks who claim to love their country so much it just boggles my mind... :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:05 am 

Well Av I can't blame a guy who lived in CO & now NE for not knowing the idiosyncrasies of NYC/LI, when most Long Islanders think of Brooklyn as "off of LI", and most Brooklynites think of LI as being non-hip suburbs that are really far away.

On TSN there's an article quoting a supposed Isles season ticket holder saying he won't travel 25 minutes to a game in Brooklyn, that he'll watch on TV instead, because they're now "off Long Island". :roll: People is dum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 pm 
OTP Clown

Chris18 wrote:
:roll: People is dum.

yep.

Canadians are just is geographically stupid. I'm just playing a fun game called: "Blame the stupid American". It's just as Canadian as universal health care, the Tragically Hip and Hockey.

Euros tend to love this game as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:18 pm 

Stinky wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
:roll: People is dum.

yep.

Canadians are just is geographically stupid. I'm just playing a fun game called: "Blame the stupid American". It's just as Canadian as universal health care, the Tragically Hip and Hockey.

Euros tend to love this game as well.

Blame the Stupid American- I like it. I've been playing it for a while too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm 
Old Man of the Post

NuckinNYC plans on attending some Nuck / Isles games there... I think he said he lives afew blocks away from there...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
NuckinNYC plans on attending some Nuck / Isles games there... I think he said he lives afew blocks away from there...

Let me know when there's a season & maybe I'll stand him up... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 pm 

Dee Karl has a piece on hockeybuzz that essentially says all the major players from the original Lighthouse deal are now on the development of the Coliseum property. Wang owns the Marriot hotel across the parking lot from the arena & a strip of land between the two. Many think he's going to try to use that land as a way to break the Isles' lease & skip to Brooklyn a year earlier. The land is currently a bunch of planters & concrete, but could be a very important part of future plans. I don't see it being that vital, especially since there aren't even plans drawn up for development yet. I think the Isles will play out their lease in the Coliseum and then move to Brooklyn as scheduled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 am 

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/isl ... more-40062

Interesting hints about possibly playing games at places besides the Coliseum in the next 2 years. I thought it was impossible for them to do it under the current lease. Wang's lawyers must have been very busy looking for loopholes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm 

Well, pre-season attempt 2.0.

http://islanderspointblank.com/islander ... qus_thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next