OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brooklyn
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles won't be bringing the Ice Girls to Brooklyn. At least, not as they were; in skimpy outfits that looked like Mo from Slap Shot designed them. They're going to have men & women cleaning up the ice, wearing track suits. I'm all for it. There was never a need for the cheerleader-like outfits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 am 

Sigh. More "The Islanders are moving again" news. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/9/ ... conditions

Wang had said the Barclays lease was "iron clad", unbreakable, and 25 years long. Now it sounds like they're supposed to "renegotiate" after 3 or 4 years, and either side can opt out after that time. Another issue brought to light is the $50-53 million the Isles are supposed to get from Barclays per year. That's a gross payment, with the Isles then having to foot the bill for arena operating expenses. How much are arena operating expenses over the course of a season? Who knows, but it's gotta be up there. So, it's entirely possible that they will in fact be looking for or building a new arena in the very near future. If they start building their own arena before going into talks with Barclays in 3-4 years, would that show bad faith and trigger some kind of fee? I have no idea, but it would seem that if you're already building your own arena, you're obviously not going into the extension negotiation with good faith. If Barclays opts out of the lease, the Isles need to be out after their 4th season in Brooklyn, or 2.5 calendar years from now. So maybe the talks with the Mets about putting an arena next door weren't BS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
I would also expect some clarity in coming days/weeks on NYI long-term arena/home issue. All signs pointing towards the Belmont, NY, site.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 5105317888

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:03 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I'm still thinking....

Can't decide on Oil/ Sharks. Sharks are injured and tired and the Oil are inexperienced.

Av, where art thou?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:11 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
I'm still thinking....

Can't decide on Oil/ Sharks. Sharks are injured and tired and the Oil are inexperienced.

Av, where art thou?

Av??? Where are you? Talking Oilers & Sharks in the Isles forum.
Go home LP, you're drunk! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

And I don't even go by "Av" anymore! :lol: It'd be funny if people started referring to me as "Poke" though.

I was so confused. Bob McKenzie said they were looking to move the Isles to the Belmont, NY area. I looked it up on the map and it was FIVE HOURS from their old Nassau stomping grounds!

But it turns out it was not Belmont, NY. Rather, the Belmont Park area in Queens. Fucking Bob...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:36 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
And I don't even go by "Av" anymore! :lol: It'd be funny if people started referring to me as "Poke" though.

I was so confused. Bob McKenzie said they were looking to move the Isles to the Belmont, NY area. I looked it up on the map and it was FIVE HOURS from their old Nassau stomping grounds!

But it turns out it was not Belmont, NY. Rather, the Belmont Park area in Queens. Fucking Bob...

:lol: I could see where that would be problematic for the fan base's commute.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am 

Sigh. More arena news. Barclays sent the Isles a letter saying their negotiation window is officially open, and closes Jan 1st 2018. They can break the lease, extend it, change it, etc. So much for the "iron clad" lease Wang boasted about. I guess this is better, especially since fans haven't been going, have a scroll of complaints about the place, and the old place is newly renovated, but more geared toward a minor league team.

So, 7 months to work out a new deal, which will likely be an attempt at a bridge deal, until the Isles get their own home, and move out of their parents' basement.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am 

It wouldn't be right to go a week without Isles arena news.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2017/5/ ... -preseason
Isles not playing any regular season games this year at the old, but newly renovated, Coliseum, but they may play a pre-season game. Yawn. And maybe regular season games down the road.

Interesting how the lease says there will be a minor league team, when the Isles' minor league affiliate (Bridgeport) are owned by the Isles and have a lease through 2021, and are very happy with the arena and local fan support. One of the rumors all along has been that the Rangers' affiliate (Shartford) would move into the Coliseum. That would be really stupid, as it may help a rival further split the Isles fan base.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Some good info from Elliotte Friedman here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-t ... islanders/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Some good info from Elliotte Friedman here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-t ... islanders/

Yeah, and I think we all know Tavares wants the Isles to play in a new arena. Barclays sucks for players & fans.
I keep hearing Stamkos is trying to recruit Tavares to Tampa. Not sure if that would be tampering or not. Supposedly Stamkos was very interested in going to the Isles when he was going to be a UFA, but Tampa upped their offer at the end and he decided to stay, supposedly after he & Tavares agreed that they'd play together in one city or the other. I think this is all fan speculation, but have seen it a lot lately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Early reports say the Isles get Belmont over the soccer team.

Moar arenas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Early reports say the Isles get Belmont over the soccer team.

Moar arenas!

That's what all reports I'm hearing say, but I'll believe it when it's official. Actually, I'll believe it when they're dropping the ceremonial first puck in the new arena. I'm a pessimist because, well, Islanders.

Apparently the early decision was pushed because Cuomo wanted another positive to mention in his State of the State address in early January. And reports say the Isles won handily over the NYCFC proposal, but I'm mainly reading Isles blogs to get that info, so I take it with a Dead Sea worth of salt. Hope for the best, and brace for the worst...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ehhhh...I wish they had been able to stay in Nassau and a new barn got built there. I don't get why new arenas have to be these gaudy, palatial venues. Just make sure there are good sight lines and the ice is cold. Why is this so hard?

And aren't they, like, not gonna be on the island now?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:05 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ehhhh...I wish they had been able to stay in Nassau and a new barn got built there. I don't get why new arenas have to be these gaudy, palatial venues. Just make sure there are good sight lines and the ice is cold. Why is this so hard?

And aren't they, like, not gonna be on the island now?

Well, Wang tried to develop the old NVMC but his project was killed every time the changed it to what the town said they wanted. the property is in both Uniondale and Hempstead. Hempstead were just assholes. So the Isles left for Brooklyn, which the towns apparently never thought would happen. Then they were looking at the building like "oh fuck. Now whatta we do?" So THEN they were willing to let someone renovate it, which basically means putting new paneling up inside and out, not making the concourse wider, etc. So it's still the same old building, with the same old problems. It's like polishing a turd.

Barclays could have originally been designed to include the Isles. Wang was asked if he'd consider moving the team there while Barclays was in design phase. At the time the Lighthouse was his golden goal so he said no. Fast forward a few years, and Barclays had to be retrofitted to accept hockey. No idea who approved PVC instead of metal piping, but it's never really worked well. So the sight lines suck, the ice sucks, the commute sucks, the fans hate it, there's an SUV in the corner where prime seating should be, the scoreboard is off-center, the ice still sucks more, there are very few seats and most have obstructed views (those last 2 are doubled because people talk about them that much).... So Barclays isn't working.

Belmont Park is in Elmont, which is in Nassau County, so it is technically and politically, Long Island. So they're moving about 15 miles and 2 counties east, out of NYC, and back into Long Island proper. Brooklyn is physically on Long Island, but not socially or politically, as Brooklyn is one of the 5 boroughs of NYC. Fans are rejoicing. It not only means they're back on LI, the arena question was supposedly the biggest stumbling block to Tavares re-signing. So this should clear things up more.

17,200 doesn't seem big to me. Still one of the smaller NHL arenas as far as I know. But not as small as Barclays, which everyone makes fun of.

Side notes- Most people expect the Isles to play at NVMC in the 19-20 season, since they want out of Barclays ASAP and the Coliseum is renovated, even with only new paneling. The ice is far superior, so screw Barclays. At least that's the thought. The follow-up thought is that the Sound Tigers not only end their lease in Bridgeport in spring of 2021, they may leave early due to a fight with the city over the empty baseball stadium next door being used for concerts by the city, which is a breach of the Sound Tigers' contract. So lots of people think the plan is to move the Sound Tigers into the NVMC permanently, and that way the Barclays folks get some sort of hockey tenant long term, and the Isles get to reconnect with their LI fan base before opening their own digs 10 miles away the following season. So it may or may not be early, but Isles could end up with their farm team down the road in their old house. That would be great. Even without the Sound Tigers that close, this is a huge win for the Isles and their fans. Getting to the Barclays sucked dog balls. I went ONCE. I said I wouldn't go again unless the tickets were free. It should be like 1:40 from my house but was well over 3 hours with traffic. We missed warm-ups, which I really like watching. I figure they're part of what I pay for... I was pissed. Also had to park like 4 blocks away. Just happened to find free street parking. Yay it was free! But it was far and it was not fun walking through Brooklyn at night with my kids, down dark streets. Not a horrible area, but not great either. Belmont is more of an open air area, which will take like 1:20 for me to get to with average traffic. So that's way better too. As long as they get the ice right, Belmont should be awesome for the Isles. First time in 45 years with their own building. They've always rented and were treated like shit most of that time. Moving up in the world!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 pm 

Some updates after today's press conference, which took place at the Belmont Park site.

New York Arena Partners (Isles, plus Dolans [Ranger owners], and other billionaires) will invest A BILLION into the development of up to 43 acres of the Belmont Park site. Isles new, state of the art, arena, plus shopping malls (mandatory on LI), restaurants, a hotel (presumably for away teams and fans)... The arena will also host concerts and such.

NY State to spend some money on infrastructure (roads, LIRR stop). Should be re-paid through tax generated revenue fairly quickly. Hey, at least the arena is being built with private funds!

Local residents are PISSED, saying it's going to ruin their quiet neighborhood, so of course, they plan to sue to stop the arena from being built. Who knows how successful that will be? Not sure if they really have a reason besides that they don't like it. That doesn't exactly hold up in court.

Billy Joel was at the press conference, despite being a Ranger fan. His ex-wife, Christie Brinkley, who is an Islanders season ticket holder, was not at the press conference. Who the hell chose the attendees???

Gov Cuomo said he's putting pressure for the Isles to play "some games" at the renovated Coliseum. Not sure wtf "some games" means. Lots of fans think the Isles will play out their current least at Barclays Center (through the 2018-19 season) and play the 2019-2020 season at the Coliseum, with Belmont opening for the 2020-2021 season. Incidentally, that's the same year the Sound Tigers lease expires, and many think they will move into the Coliseum, since the size is now slightly large for a minor league team, but way too small for an NHL team. They Isles could play some pre-season games there for nostalgia.

There are not currently plans for the horse track and stands to be removed, so some fans think they'll leave that up to have some outdoor games. Who knows? No idea how many seats it has. Just saw fan speculation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 am 

Also from yesterday's press conference- Ledecky (who also owns the Sound Tigers) said they want to improve the Sound Tigers facility IN BRIDGEPORT to be similar to what they did for the Isles practice facility. That doesn't sound like they want to move them to the Coliseum. He didn't talk about extending the lease, but that may be happening anyway. So much for the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum rumor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Also from yesterday's press conference- Ledecky (who also owns the Sound Tigers) said they want to improve the Sound Tigers facility IN BRIDGEPORT to be similar to what they did for the Isles practice facility. That doesn't sound like they want to move them to the Coliseum. He didn't talk about extending the lease, but that may be happening anyway. So much for the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum rumor.

Silly question: is it possible to travel by boat from Bridgeport to Long Island? They're so close yet so far by car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Silly question: is it possible to travel by boat from Bridgeport to Long Island? They're so close yet so far by car.

Absolutely- the Port Jefferson Ferry. They sponsor the Sound Tigers PP. Or maybe it's the PK. Either way I can recall "your Sound Tigers are on another Port Jeff Ferry blah blah blah."

Bettman & Ledecky toured the Coliseum, with the rumor being they were seeing if it will be good enough for the Isles to play in while Belmont is built. Very small building, but it would be a great way to reconnect to the old fan base before the new place opens. Plus it'll probably be even louder with its smaller size, and is far more likely to sell out seating only like 12k. Bettman & Ledecky refused to say if that's why they were at the Coliseum, but why else would they be there?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 am 

Lots of rumors about the opt-out agreement coming due on the 30th. Supposedly the Isles will play 12 home games at the old Coliseum next year, and as of now the Barclays folks want them to play ALL their home games in 19-20 and 20-21 at the Coliseum. Isles are not thrilled with that, since the Coliseum is so small, and want to split it evenly between the 2 venues. Negotiations have to end in a week, unless of course they agree to extend the deadline. But why extend a deadline when it gives you leverage? So hopefully in a week the terms will be out. Most people think Belmont will be ready to open for the 2021-22* season. *that season name sounds really weird when said aloud. Sounds like 20, 21, 22. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next