OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

DiPietro is now saying he was 100% facetious about the suicide statement.

Nevertheless, the point stands--it's understandable to be frustrated with the player, but he's still not the guy who wrote that contract. And anyone in DiPietro's place would've signed it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

You also can't blame the fans who are sick & tired of a guy who is so out of touch with reality, that he'll joke about suicide to a journalist. We didn't write the contract, and 99.9% of us wouldn't have. The other 0.1% are the fan-voices in Rick's head.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Chris18 wrote:
You also can't blame the fans who are sick & tired of a guy who is so out of touch with reality, that he'll joke about suicide to a journalist. We didn't write the contract, and 99.9% of us wouldn't have. The other 0.1% are the fan-voices in Rick's head.

The journalist not recognizing sarcasm and publishing such statements as fact is the issue here.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am 

Okay, I just saw his comments in a TV interview. He most certainly was NOT being facetious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Okay, I just saw his comments in a TV interview. He most certainly was NOT being facetious.

That's the impression all around; that he was totally serious but now realizes how bad a thing it is to have out there. I actually feel really sorry for him. Not sorry enough to let him play out his contract on the Isles, but still sorry for him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am 

I think it's clear to him that his NHL career is pretty much over. Hope he finds direction in life after hockey. Unfortunately I don't think going straight from the ice to the front office is in the cards for him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I think it's clear to him that his NHL career is pretty much over. Hope he finds direction in life after hockey. Unfortunately I don't think going straight from the ice to the front office is in the cards for him.

Trainer? He's spent enough time with them... :rimshot:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

He should go travel the world, for 2-3 years. Jumping in volcanoes, that sort of deal. It'll save his life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm 

Quote:
Five goals on 12 shots in the first period and Ricky's night was over.

Um, wow.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-Karl ... TJrdTfov4c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Quote:
Five goals on 12 shots in the first period and Ricky's night was over.

Um, wow.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-Karl ... TJrdTfov4c

Wow indeed. Kid's heart just isn't in it anymore. I hope Garth sticks by his word and takes care of this guy. He needs help in a serious way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 am 

He won tonight, vs the Phantoms (Philly's affiliate), 4-3.

:yayyy:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 am 

He didn't play vs the Whale yesterday, in favor of Reiter, an ECHL callup. Kid played well, losing in OT 3-2.

Before the game we were putting our bags in locker rooms. The Sound Tigers were coming off the ice from their pre-game skate. Most of the players have that "I don't see you because I'm about to play a high level game and I'm focused. You're a fan and I see thousands like you every year..." look on their face. DiPietro walked past with a look like "I don't see you because I don't want to talk to anyone about being here or what I said." Totally different expression; more fear/defiance than indifference like the other guys.

A few Rangers/Whale fans were next to us & said things like "You know things are bad for an Islander when die-hard Rangers fans feel for him & won't heckle him." Apparently the Hartford arena was virtually heckle-free when Rick gave up 5 on 12. In a rivalry game.

My wife saw him stacking cups or something like that with a handicapped kid during the game. There's a break in the glass along the side of the bench where the backup goalie sits, with front row wheelchair viewing next to it. People took that both ways, some saying he wasn't focused, others saying it shows a compassionate, human side in stark contrast with the "I don't see you" stare they ignore most fans with. I thought with the latter due to recent events.

Later when they came off from the first period he high fived the mites waiting to play an intermission mini-game, like all the players.

So for whatever it's worth, there's a first-hand account of DiPietro's recent situation. I feel bad for him, regardless of what I've said in the past. Situations change and feelings toward someone can change accordingly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 pm 

He's currently 3-3, with a 3.33 GAA & 0.879 save %. I don't see him coming back to the Isles. Unless Nabokov or Poulin get hurt & the organization wants to see the Sound Tigers make the playoffs (currently in the last playoff spot).

On the bright side Rick, the buyout will keep you in cash for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 pm 

I've actually not watched the Isles until tonight. Two impressions thus far: Visnovsky's still got game, and Nabokov sucks balls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:25 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I've actually not watched the Isles until tonight. Two impressions thus far: Visnovsky's still got game, and Nabokov sucks balls.

I'd say Nabokov is done after this year. At least as a starter. And the isles certainly could have used vis-no-show-ski in their first ten games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I'd say Nabokov is done after this year. At least as a starter. And the isles certainly could have used vis-no-show-ski in their first ten games.

Pens were very beatable tonight, except when Crosby's line was on the ice.

I hope the Isles make some moves at the deadline, and not necessarily as sellers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:27 am 

I'm amazed they're still only 3 points out. That doesn't tell me the league has parity, it tells me the league is shitty.

The Isles have lost many winnable games, that's why I'm hating them. I purposely missed most of last night's game, but tuned in to the frustrating part- the third period. I think I need to watch the first 2 periods & turn games off while I'm still happy.

Isles could be buyers if they get guys who aren't rentals. Not sure how many GMs are willing to part with players who have 1+ years remaining, but it's possible. I think it's time Snow admits some of his young core of first rounders aren't working out here. Bailey & Okposo would probably do well on other teams with more leadership, and it's time to put them on the block & see what offers come back.

I think at this point some of the younger players look at playoffs like unpaid overtime. "No bonus check? Why work it?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 am 

The answer to the thread title is, "not in an Islanders jersey".
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-Karl ... dJaDdjNm2M

Rick DiPietro on waivers to be bought out.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. The annoying Dee Karl makes a good point, that he only ever wanted to win. He just usually hurt himself trying to do it. And wasn't as good as he was hyped by Milbury to be. A lot of Rick's bad press was Milbury's fault. It's not like Milbury said "hey kid, if you're okay with it I'm going to draft you #1, first goalie to go #1. you like the idea?" so that pressure wasn't his fault. The contract, well, he should have known the risk there. And so should Wang. Second of Wang's idiotic long term contracts being bought out. I sure hope Charles has learned to keep out of the contract talks! And to quit sniffing glue in his office.

All that said, I'm glad I don't have to see him in an Isles jersey anymore, doing his stupid face-stretch, that looks like a smile, when he gets scored on. Now we just have to hear about his buyout for the next 16 fucking years. 16 years. When Rick signed that contract my older daughter wasn't even in elementary school. She'll have graduated college & possibly have her Masters & then some when he's done being paid. Younger daughter wasn't even born when the contract was signed & she'll be in college when he's finally off the books. I need to send Charles Wang my resume.

Now they should have more money to spend. Damn shame all the goalies are already traded or signed extensions! Who the hell is left? Bernier, Schneider, Bobrovsky & Smith are all off the table. I was hoping for any of them. I'm fine with Poulin or Nilsson as backup. But the Isles need a legit #1 to make it past the first round for the first time in 21 years. Bringing Nabokov back isn't good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am 

For a brief time he really was looking like the franchise goaltender Milbury hoped he'd be. I really, really hope NHL owners have learned their lesson. At least Wang is admitting to his and doing the right thing with his two dumbest moves. Doesn't the Yashin buyout officially come off the books this year?

I guess now Gillis can join the "Guys named Mike who dicked around Roberto Luongo and Lived to Regret It" Club with Keenan and Milbury.

Anyhow, yeah, I feel bad for the guy, even though he's guaranteed $1.5 million every year for the next 16 years on top of any money he's already earned in his professional career. He really looked despondent in that interview after being waived/demoted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 am 

TWO more years of paying Cashin.

Amazing- Capgeek is already updated with DiPietro's buyout, and his Wikipedia page already says "he was bought out on July 2, 2013". :lol:

At least Ricks' $ won't count against the cap. This brings the Isles to the lowest payroll in the league, with about 32.3 million spent, and 32.8 million in cap space. :lol: But they've only got 15 rostered players. RFAs are: Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck, Travis Hamonic, Thomas Hickey, Kevin Poulin. I'd like to see them all stick around. Should be an interesting off season.

What's the salary floor anyway?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next