OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

That's not bad. I've cleanly shot it with control into my own net....twice now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
He went out to play the puck & passed it right to the other team. Couldn't get back into the net in time... :chairshot:

Out west, this is known as Roberto Luongoing...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Islanders could have a pretty interesting goaltending picture this year. Nabby gets knocked a lot but he is capable of carrying a team (just not past round #2). Montoya was pretty decent last year too wasn't he? Is Dipietro healthy currently?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Montoya wasn't incredible, but I would say he was very good. Certainly more solid than anyone they'd had for a while (besides Roloson).
DiPietro can be healthy today and require a quadruple bypass by lunch. He's healthy as of now. But I don't know when you'll read this, so consider him day to day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 pm 

DP looked pretty good in the first 2 periods vs the Bruins tonight. When I saw Nilsson going in for the third I said "yep. He's hurt already!" Then I remembered it's pre-season. :lol: But it was too easy to believe that he was hurt.

Nilsson did not look good. :s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... ng-content

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 am 

That article could have actually been funny, but the writer didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Oh well.

Time to continue losing...

And if you want to talk about a curse- Isles are 0-4-2 since I lambasted people on here for not picking them to make the playoffs. I'm off to the Hockey Talk forum to retract that statement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:11 pm 

On a side note, Mikko Koskinen is reportedly headed back to Europe. There's a three-headed monster between the pipes in Bridgeport as well, and apparently the big guy was sick of it. Botta reports there's a chance he doesn't come back.

I don't know how good or bad Koskinen was, but enough is enough, Snow needs to make a frickin' decision here. He's not going to get a 2nd rounder for a 36-year-old backup netminder he plucked off of waivers. He's also never going to get a full season out of Rick DiPietro ever again. Apparently Capuano's starting to make some veiled statements that he's being prompted by management to play Nabby and he's none too happy about it. This is looking less like a GM playing his cards patiently and more like indecision.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:07 pm 

Koskinen has never impressed me. And let's be honest- if the Isles didn't have a glut of goalies people would rant & rave that they're idiots for not having more backups. I think they've used 12 different goalies in the past 3 seasons.

As for Nabby- they're asking to play him for a trade showcase. He hasn't made a good case for himself lately, so nobody is biting. They'll need to play him more to get anything for him. Having DPahole as your #1 means you need lots of depth. Having 6 goalies between the 2 teams sounds prudent, even if it hurts the egos.

That said, I wish they'd move Nabby already. He looked good early, & has performed a Tijuana donkey show lately. Take what you can get. Maybe trade him & Koskinen together for a decent winger. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
Koskinen has never impressed me. And let's be honest- if the Isles didn't have a glut of goalies people would rant & rave that they're idiots for not having more backups. I think they've used 12 different goalies in the past 3 seasons.

As for Nabby- they're asking to play him for a trade showcase. He hasn't made a good case for himself lately, so nobody is biting. They'll need to play him more to get anything for him. Having DPahole as your #1 means you need lots of depth. Having 6 goalies between the 2 teams sounds prudent, even if it hurts the egos.

Heard on the Canucks' broadcast tonight that the Isles are sending their Finnish goalie home so he can get some ice-time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Heard on the Canucks' broadcast tonight that the Isles are sending their Finnish goalie home so he can get some ice-time.

Were they quoting Av from 2 posts above yours? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 am 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Were they quoting Av from 2 posts above yours? :lol:

:fry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm 

DP's contract is insured in 5 year increments. This is year 6. He had a "set back" while returning from his recent groin strain, and is supposedly considering retiring. Supposedly it's his knee again, though this is from Dee Karl on hockeybuzz.com. But supposedly his "agent" (I thought his father was his agent) is talking with the insurance company about details.

It's all speculation, and possibly yet another internet hoax, but I figured I'd post this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm 

DiPietro's season over...sports hernia surgery.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter

Completely fucking unreal how far south his health has gone since signing that deal. I don't remember him missing much, if any time prior to that.

Read somewhere he's getting so frustrated he's considering retirement, but it's an insurance issue that might be holding it up. If I were Wang/Snow, I'd be praying he does...it's the only way to get out from under this albatross.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

its not even funny anymore. just sad. I don't remember him being a bad goalie when he signed that deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:46 am 

Re-ti-re. Re-ti-re. Re-ti-re......

I liked the guy when he was healthy. He was better than he got credit for. Sure his wandering ways usually let in 1 goal/game, but he made a few great saves to make up for it. His competitiveness got him injured a few times: Broken face from fight with Johnson, concussion from challenging Begin... I'm sure it's torture for him to not be playing. Get used to it. I think you're pretty much done Rick.

And all the injuries started in the All Star Game. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 pm 

Gallof agrees that an amnesty buyout period may be the only way Wang gets out from under this.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/01/20/ ... han-later/

I either didn't know or forgot that bit about Wang and DiPietro cutting his agent out. Can't believe I'm saying this, but that's just plain shady...DiPietro deserves some karmic backlash for that, but not to this degree. Besides, I would think agents working for Bobby Orr don't fit the greedy slimeball stereotype most of most agents. Also did not know that Neil Smith went directly against Wang and tried negotiating a 6-year deal with DiPietro's agent.

Again, the ideal way out of this mess for the Isles at least is for RD to retire, but would you if you were him?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

Exactly- why should he retire? From his standpoint, he still probably thinks he can come back & compete at a high level. All pros do, it's part of the mental make up that helped them beat out other players to get to this level.

But also, he's got one hell of a paycheck for the next decade. Why give that up? Because the team showed him a retarded amount of loyalty & gave the dumbest contract ever in sports history? Not his fault... I get it from his end. He has no obligation to retire or let the team off in any way. But as a fan, it seems like the right thing.

When is there an amnesty period?

This deal is what got Neil Smith canned on his 40th day. And Wang negotiated it directly before even hiring Snow as GM. It's also the reason Pat LaFontaine quit as well. He was an advisor and advised against it. When Wang insisted on it, Smith & LaFontaine argued, Wang fired Smith & LaFontaine realized Wang is a complete moron & quit. Trottier left later on too. So much for bringing back all the old guard Wanger.

Oh Rick DiPietro. I once had such high hopes for you. Now you've got more stitches than Frankenstein. And ten more freakin' years on your contract. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 am 

Chris18 wrote:
When is there an amnesty period?

There's just the grand hope by some teams that like when the cap was first instituted, there would be a short span of time wherein you could buy players out of bad contracts without any cap hit afterwards. It was how Slats got out of the terrible contract that was Bobby Holik without any undue consequences. Snow convinced Wang to jettison Yashin one year too late.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I have to admit that when I saw this thread (again), the first thing I looked at was the date that it was started... I'm a little concerned that the Crosby thread may very well end up the same way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next