OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
TWO more years of paying Cashin.

Amazing- Capgeek is already updated with DiPietro's buyout, and his Wikipedia page already says "he was bought out on July 2, 2013". :lol:

At least Ricks' $ won't count against the cap. This brings the Isles to the lowest payroll in the league, with about 32.3 million spent, and 32.8 million in cap space. :lol: But they've only got 15 rostered players. RFAs are: Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck, Travis Hamonic, Thomas Hickey, Kevin Poulin. I'd like to see them all stick around. Should be an interesting off season.

What's the salary floor anyway?

$44 million, so while the cap lowers, the floor remains the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Well they gave qualifying offers to 5 RFAs today.

Interestingly, Cal Clutterbuck wasn't one of them. Guess they plan to go longer term with him?

The QOs went to Bailey, Hamonic, Hickey, Poulin & Ulstrom- who has already bolted for the KHL due to not getting a 1 way contract. But making that offer keeps his rights if he wants to come back to NA. Smart I guess.

Back to the original topic. Snow supposedly told DP shortly after the season ended that he'd be bought out. I guess they dragged it out to see if they could swing the Luongo deal with him. Slim chance there, but worth the effort I guess. Unless you're Rick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:20 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Chris18 wrote:

Interestingly, Cal Clutterbuck wasn't one of them. Guess they plan to go longer term with him?

A qualifying offer is just to retain an RFA's rights – if they didn't make one, that means he becomes unrestricted. That can't be right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jyrki21 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

A qualifying offer is just to retain an RFA's rights – if they didn't make one, that means he becomes unrestricted. That can't be right?

I'm guessing he was qualified before he was traded, otherwise he'd have walked as a free agent by now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I'm guessing he was qualified before he was traded, otherwise he'd have walked as a free agent by now.

I haven't heard anything about him signing, and Capgeek, who updated everything else within minutes, still show him as an RFA. http://capgeek.com/islanders/

*Okay, so they don't show Poulin accepting his QO, which happened earlier today. But still, they are generally right on top of those things. Especially with regular NHLers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm 

Asked around on an Isles board. Clutterbuck was qualified by the Wild, so the Isles don't have to make an offer. He hasn't accepted yet though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:26 pm 

DP asked for a release from his AHL tryout contract. He felt he wasn't going anywhere. He was 0-4 with a GAA over 5. I'm sure Wang would bring him on in an advisory role. Maybe as the new trainer!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm 

I heard some of DiPietro's radio show yesterday on my late drive home. Hahn & Humpty, Hahn being Alan Hahn who covered the Isles for a few years and wrote the Fishsticks book, and Humpty being DiPietro's joke about his own health. His Twitter name is Humpty39 I think.

Anyway, Hahn was kind of laughing at him, kind of with him. DiPietro was wearing his old blocker, glove, helmet and jersey from his days with the Isles after their big win over the Rangers at MSG. He was on the Michael Kay show earlier in the day, saying he'd gladly slit Hahn's throat to be able to be back healthy and playing for the Isles. I felt bad for him, but he took everything with a laugh. They were talking about something from the day before that had DP laughing so hard his stomach hurt. He said people immediately tweeted him that he'd better stop laughing or he'd pull his hamstring... He laughed about it, but you can tell the guy wants nothing more than to be playing. I feel bad for him and take back 90% of the bad things I'd said about him.
Hahn was giving DP a hard time, asking if Rick knew Halak's shut out at MSG was only the second time an Isles goalie has shut the Rangers out at MSG... "Did you know that Rick? Only 2 Isles goalies have EVER been good enough to do that. Just Billy Smith and Jaro Halak. Just them Rick. No other." :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:39 am 

More from DiPietro's radio show, this time on leadership: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/3/ ... leadership

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 am 
Big in Japan

Apparently Dipietro's radio show is very entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:13 am 

Spot check- the Isles will pay DiPietro $1.5 million/year for another NINE years. NINE more years!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6