OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:52 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Well, training camp is around the corner, which means the New York Islanders will be calling my city home for a few days. And today I learned that I was the first name drawn for Islanders tickets that were bought on behalf of the company I work for. Well, that's a bit of a lie... they went on the co-owner's credit card and we have to pay them back. Still, I guess I'm going. I asked my dad if he wanted to come with, and he said yes, so we're going to the 1983/84 SCF rematch of Edmonton and the Islanders. I'll be sitting in the 9th row, near the Islanders' bench (I assume, since it is the Blades' bench), but inside the blue line.

Tavares better be playing, because these tickets are really steep when half the lineup are prospects. And If Ice Edge inexplicably wins the Coyotes bid and brings the Habs to Saskatoon in November, I'm putting a lot of money down considering I'm going to Europe in October and have to buy gifts in December.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Nice! Have fun at the game. I know I threatened to crash on your couch during training camp, but you're lucky: I'm too busy to get away for a few days. :x

Hope Tavares plays so you can give me a firsthand account. :)

Since Sillinger's retirement, he's already been hired as the Oilers' director of player development. So maybe you'll see him. I don't know- it was an Isles/Oilers connection. He was hired by Steve Tambellini. There's another one. Maybe Sillinger will recommend the Oilers acquire Jeff Tambellini, since he may develop better under his pops' regime. That's enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:23 am 

Well Chris, maybe next year for the crashing on the couch thing. Sounds like they'll be back next year at least, maybe the year after as well.

Most practices start quite early in the morning, so I'm not going to make it to any of those.

Word on the street is that JT will only play in one of the games this weekend. :x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:06 am 

Well, this is all up in the air now. One of my family's oldest friends... well, the grandpa of the family, died today at 102. The funeral is on Monday. Really, really nice, genuine man. The funeral is on Monday... I won't be going, but my dad will be. He's from where I was born, which is a ways away, and so I'm not sure if my dad can go to the game anymore.

We'll see how this plays out. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 am 

Sorry to hear it Sask. My condolences.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:32 am 
Old Man of the Post

So sorry to read about this, sask. My prayers go out to you and your family.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:48 am 
OTP Historian

Sorry for you and your family's loss, Bruce :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Condolences... 102 years is something special.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:51 am 

Sorry, I should clarify as I realize it came out kind of weird... it's the grandpa of the family we're very good friends with. Still, growing up on a farm in small town Saskatchewan, you know everyone and he had a house on the same farm as his son's family. We were very good friends with the family... they lived about 4 or 5 km to the south of our farm. So I was good friends growing up with the grandson, and I referred to the parents as uncle and auntie. He was Grandpa Sorestad to me, even though I wasn't related.

Thanks for the well wishes, though. He had been suffering recently, so it's probably a good thing he didn't make 103 which was coming up in December.

Anyways, the plan right now looks to be to exchange tickets with a neighbour of my dad's who has 4 tickets to the Flames game on Saturday night, so me and my dad might still see a NHL game. We both hate the Flames, so we aren't thrilled with the possibility, but you make do at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4989 ... L|NHL|Home

Looks like the top line, at least pre-Dion hit, was Tavares-Weight-Okposo.

Quote:
"I think my preference would be to have him play center," Gordon said, "but we'll see as we go along how he handles it. You're now playing against men versus 16- or 17-year-olds. I think last year we had a pretty good idea of how Josh Bailey had to go through it. You're going to have your ups and downs. You get down low and you're battling some of these guys who are 6-foot-4, it's a little bit tougher. We'll see how he adapts."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=498972&navid=DL|NHL|Home

Looks like the top line, at least pre-Dion hit, was Tavares-Weight-Okposo.

Quote:
"I think my preference would be to have him play center," Gordon said, "but we'll see as we go along how he handles it. You're now playing against men versus 16- or 17-year-olds. I think last year we had a pretty good idea of how Josh Bailey had to go through it. You're going to have your ups and downs. You get down low and you're battling some of these guys who are 6-foot-4, it's a little bit tougher. We'll see how he adapts."

And pre-Weight-groin-pull. :x

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:25 pm 

Someone get Fleury on the phone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:30 pm 

Never mind! SCHREMP is here! Looks like Okposo has fully recovered as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm 

Oops. Frans "Ferdinand" Nielsen out after a knee scope, 4-6 weeks. The link is somewhere if you wanna read more. But really, do you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Oops. Frans "Ferdinand" Nielsen out after a knee scope, 4-6 weeks. The link is somewhere if you wanna read more. But really, do you?

If he's not around, they don't have a hope of building a champion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:35 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

If he's not around, they don't have a hope of building a champion.

No worries. Blake Comeau hasn't been cut yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

I believe Sask was referring to Dane-Power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:59 pm 

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293436

Weight named captain.

I could have sworn this was old news, but...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:54 pm 

Weight as Captain. That's heavy.

I know he's got the experience and is a good leader and all- but he's got a 1 year deal at 39. Most likely it'll be the 2nd year in a row the Isles will trade their Captain at the deadline. That's just silly.

Witt, Park, Streit & Okposo are Alternates. I guess they'll rotate who does it at home vs on the road. I always thought that was silly. But it gives a kid like Okposo a chance to earn some leadership points. I thought Hunter could have been one as well. Whatever.