OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 off-season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles fans are freaking the fuck out that the team hasn't announced anything. Umm, they still haven't officially announced Andy Greene's deal for this year (which had to have been done prior to him being exposed to the expansion draft), or for that matter Matt Martin's deal from before last season. Lou just keeps a lid on everything now.

Guys who are not being mentioned anywhere else, and therefore likely linked to the Isles- Palmieri, Cizikas, Parise and possibly Saad. Not even a rumor for a D to replace Leddy. They may look via trade for that. I can't see Trotz trusting Bolduc when he's got Dobson out there being the only allowable young guy. I love Trotz but his distrust of anyone under 27 can get annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 pm 

I am a patient boy
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait
Free Agency, it’s running down a drain

Everybody’s moving
Everybody’s moving
Everybody’s moving, moving, moving, moving
Please don’t leave things to remain
with Leo on the first line!

I don’t want huge contracts
Lou cannot use it
I want some frigging news
Lou won’t live by it

(Lou)
But I don’t sit idly by
I’m planning a big surprise
I’m gonna sign my old friends Parise & Palmieri
And I won’t make the same mistakes (’cause I know)
Because I know how much buyouts cost (and first line)
First line is the key
To free agency…

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:58 pm 

Pelech has filed for arbitration. With some of these huge contracts for d-men, this could be a big problem for the Isles.

Beauvillier didn't file despite being eligible. Perhaps he's locked up already. Who knows?

Still no rumors around Cizikas, Palmieri, Parise or Murray, so the assumption is they're all signed with the Isles. Lou's cone of silence is all encompassing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:34 am 

Rumor is Cizikas' contract is 6 years @ $2.5M/year. If true, and that's a big if, the term is a bit long for a guy who plays like Cizikas, but the money is exactly what I'd hoped for. :mulletbutch:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:39 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Rumor is Cizikas' contract is 6 years @ $2.5M/year. If true, and that's a big if, the term is a bit long for a guy who plays like Cizikas, but the money is exactly what I'd hoped for. :mulletbutch:

It's pretty clear Lou locked everyone up (except Pelech, perhaps) but he's just being Lou and taking his sweet time announcing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:11 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

It's pretty clear Lou locked everyone up (except Pelech, perhaps) but he's just being Lou and taking his sweet time announcing it.

Yeah, the thinking is that he's gotten everyone to take team friendly deals, but Pelech isn't playing that game, so Lou is trying to hide how much he's paying everyone else so Pelech doesn't ask for the max amount to get them to the cap. Lou wants some wiggle room to make a trade or two for upgrades if there's an opportunity (read, Tarasenko).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 pm 

Now the rumor, from Pagnotta, is that Zajac is returning to the Isles. I hope that doesn't mean the Cizikas negotiations went south. If Zajac is there as a depth forward, who can fill in at any F position for a few games here and there, fine. If they plan to play him every night at any position, that will be bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:49 am 

The only extension the Isles are talking about- play by play guy Brendan Burke turned down an offer from the Blackhawks to stay with the Isles and is close to signing a long extension. One of the first times a good announcer has wanted to stay with the Isles. After he did national games and the olympics, I thought he was a goner for sure. Glad he's staying. He's great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:07 pm 

Just to make the snide comment opening my last post look dumb, the Isles have announced Adam Pelech has signed an EIGHT year deal for $5.75 M aav. More money than I wanted to see for now, but in a few years that could be a big bargain, especially compared to others getting $9 M aav.

So now, maybe the dominoes will start falling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Just to make the snide comment opening my last post look dumb, the Isles have announced Adam Pelech has signed an EIGHT year deal for $5.75 M aav. More money than I wanted to see for now, but in a few years that could be a big bargain, especially compared to others getting $9 M aav.

Considering the 9M market, this is potentially a steal, especially if they can get Pulock at a similar no. 2 price in a year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Considering the 9M market, this is potentially a steal, especially if they can get Pulock at a similar no. 2 price in a year.

Yep. Lots of talk about them trying to extend Pulock before he gets near FA status, but I think he wants to have a good "show me" year and drive his price up.

Pelech was quoted saying "this is where I want to be", adding that the players know they have something special going. :mulletbutch: Compared to past decades when players couldn't get out fast enough, this is awesome to finally get to watch. Here's to next year being even better in a new arena. :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:30 pm 

Anders Lee's rehab is apparently ALL leg work- https://twitter.com/RTaub_/status/1425441407075065856
Quadzimoto. :lol:

Robin Lehner says the Isles strung him along after his 1 year deal was up. Not surprising info, but somewhat surprising to see an NHL player making this public. https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2021/8/11/22619541/ny-islanders-news-robin-lehner-contract-tony-esposito
It was pretty obvious that the Isles made the offer to him in bad faith, clearly wanting Varlamov, who was friends with Sorokin even back then. Varlamov has been really good for the Isles but fans loved Lehner in his short time with the team. Would things have gone any differently with Lehner over Varlamov? Who knows? That's half the fun of sports- the debating of such things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 pm 

Aatu Raty signed his ELC with the Isles. :toot:

Rumor that shocks nobody at all, Isles are shopping Komarov to make cap space to bring in a sniper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Rumor that shocks nobody at all, Isles are shopping Komarov to make cap space to bring in a sniper.

Yzerman should just take that 2nd back to take on Leo's last year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:05 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Yzerman should just take that 2nd back to take on Leo's last year.

I'm all for that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:37 am 

Parise caused a shit storm by being videoed wearing red/blue gloves. His wife confirmed the colors when asked on Twitter, causing fans to speculate on him signing with the Rangers... She simply reminded everyone that he HAD played for Team USA in the past and had the gloves.

I think Lou should turn his contract announcements into a geocaching game. Send fans all over the Long Island area, using Islanders trivia as the clues. And put out fake ones for wrong answers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:16 am 

Considering there are still no alternative rumors about Cizikas, Palmieri, or Parise having interest from other teams, the Islanders fan base is considering them signed. The same may be true for Zajac, but we'll see. If he's a 13/14th forward, that's fine. If he's going to play over Wahlstrom or Bellows, it is not fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Bizarre even for Lou that this contract jigsaw has spilled into late August...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:30 am 

E.L. wrote:
Bizarre even for Lou that this contract jigsaw has spilled into late August...

Kind of, but some fans have pointed out that he never officially announced Martin's contract last year. Or Greene's from earlier this year. I sometimes wonder if he's trying to hide his cap hit or if he is just done with the media. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:08 pm 

A while ago, some genius said
Chris18 wrote:

Pelech- likely around $5 million
Beauvillier- likely around 4 million
Sorokin- likely around $3 million
Palmieri- likely around $4 million
Cizikas- likely around $2.5 million
Dal Colle- likely around $1 million

Lots of reports are that Cizikas' deal is in fact $2.5M x 6 years. Longer term I'd like to see given to a 30 year old who plays a very physical game, but he supposedly turned down an offer from Seattle for almost twice the dollar amount, so loyalty gets rewarded.

Reports now saying Beauviller got $4.1M x 3 years, so a hair higher than I wrote above, but like I said, around $ million.

And just saw Panotta reporting that Pamieri's deal is $5M x 4 years. A full million more than I'd assumed.

Edit- Sorokin's deal is $4M x 3 years. Full million off there too. I thought I was doing really well with my predictions. :lol:

Pelech's contract is $5.75M x 8 years. I didn't expect him to want the 8 years, but it could prove to be a huge bargain down the road if the cap goes up and D-men keep getting huge contracts, so I'm not too unhappy that it's more than I thought it would be, other than my pride being slightly hurt. :lol:

Hoping to hear about Pamieri, Parise and Sorokin soon. Dal Colle- maybe he still gets signed but they didn't qualify him, so it would be lower than the $1 million I presumed, although not enough to make up for my Pelech gaff.

Assuming all the above is correct, and that Parise is also signed (since there aren't any rumors about him with another team), the Isles have almost no cap space. They are currently at $85,229,188, with a cap of $81.5. But they can spend up to $87.5 with Boychuk's LTIR relief, so they've got like $2.25 million in space for Parise and/or Dal Colle. Obviously Dal Colle isn't getting anywhere near that total since they didn't give him a QO that would have raised his pay to $770k. Also, for any trades. So I seriously doubt Tarasenko is coming to the Isles, even if Lou can send Komarov somewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next