OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:48 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Johnny Boychuk retires due to the eye injury he suffered during the regular season. (Skate to eye). Not sure if that gave him a concussion or something, because he played again in the post-season, then got rocked like a motherfucker by Matheson. Didn't play again after that.

Bummer. I like him and wanted to see him retire on his own terms, even if it was with another team or something. Glad to see the cap space, but that sucks for him. Truly appreciate the way he played for the Isles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:55 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Well said. My thoughts exactly. Never want to see that happen to anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Johnny Boychuk retires due to the eye injury he suffered during the regular season. (Skate to eye). Not sure if that gave him a concussion or something, because he played again in the post-season, then got rocked like a motherfucker by Matheson. Didn't play again after that.

Bummer. I like him and wanted to see him retire on his own terms, even if it was with another team or something. Glad to see the cap space, but that sucks for him. Truly appreciate the way he played for the Isles.

Hate to say it but LouLams is probably breathing a sigh of relief. Barzal time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Hate to say it but LouLams is probably breathing a sigh of relief. Barzal time.

Yeah. I posted here first and then went on Isles fan sites. Most are saying the same as me. Although of course, there are the Louspiracy theorists, who believe he knew all along that Boychuk would retire due to injury (some even say he's paying him through some side business or something crazy, like Lou's an actual mobster), which of course then raises questions about the Toews trade...

So now, they have money to pay Barzal without making another move. Currently have 20 NHL contracts with 23 spots available, and $9.9 million in space. Speculation is they'll bring back Brassard, Martin and Greene on low ball contracts, and sign Barzal. Then bury Ladd and Hickey in Bridgeport. Again. 3 more seasons of Ladd's contract! Holy shit. Hope Seattle wants a fairly local, veteran leader. :lol: Two more years of Hickey's contract. I thought it was just one. Wow.

If Greene isn't re-signed and there isn't another veteran out there worth taking a shot on, the Swedish Sebastian Aho gets a real shot. Not as good as Toews or Boychuk, but also not absolutely terrible. Greene worked really well with Dosbon though.

As of now the D is:
Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Hickey-Dobson. Hickey is pretty good. He's just piling up injuries. Greene for 1 year would be good.
Aho as the 7th. If Greene comes back, maybe Hickey is the 7th?

Corey Schneider still isn't shown as signed anywhere official, but I had read long ago that he'd signed with the Isles for like $800k, assuming he'll be playing in Bridgeport to start. He could take a low salary, since he'll still be getting paid by the Devils. It was a while ago that I'd heard he signed with the Isles. Guess it was BS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:06 am 

Initial info was wrong- Boychuk isn't retiring but will go on LTIR. He suffered optical nerve damage from the skate to his eye vs Montreal back in March. He knew he had some damage from it but tried to play anyway. The Matheson hit was the result: Said he didn't see Matheson coming at all and he should have been able to see him with where he was. I can't imagine a hit like that would be helpful for any existing nerve damage, or anything else.

So he'll get $6 million for the next 2 years. Maybe they'll make him a coach in Bridgeport or some type of D adviser.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

At least it's a legit injury this time and not some bullshit medical condition that came outta nowhere.

Still kinda bitter with Johnny Boychuk. He was SO PSYCHED to have been drafted by the Avs, and they just up and traded him for a smallish fourth line center. Meanwhile he ended up being a legit top-four defender for the majority of his career and became a Stanley Cup champion. Truely one of the dumbest trades the Avs ever made.

But good for him, opting out and still getting his $$$, and the Isles catch a break in the process.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:40 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
At least it's a legit injury this time and not some bullshit medical condition that came outta nowhere.

Still kinda bitter with Johnny Boychuk. He was SO PSYCHED to have been drafted by the Avs, and they just up and traded him for a smallish fourth line center. Meanwhile he ended up being a legit top-four defender for the majority of his career and became a Stanley Cup champion. Truely one of the dumbest trades the Avs ever made.

But good for him, opting out and still getting his $$$, and the Isles catch a break in the process.

It sucks to lose a player as good as him, but he's not worth the price he'd be getting. Fans were turning on him last year because he was getting too slow for today's game. But yeah, it's really the best outcome for everyone, besides of course the fantasy of him staying on and playing out his contract at top level.

Rumor is that they'll give him a coaching job in Bridgeport, but I don't know if they can do that if he's on LTIR. That seems too obviously abuse of a loophole, if it's legal at all. So maybe he kinda hangs out around either team and learns coaching techniques?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Damn, that sucks :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:06 pm 

Rumor is Barzal and Isles are in talks about a 3 year deal, $6.5M/year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:59 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Rumor is Barzal and Isles are in talks about a 3 year deal, $6.5M/year.
:shock: Pettersson.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Most players of that caliber can and should do a bridge deal of some sort. With the flat cap and teams everywhere hemorrhaging money it just doesn't make sense to do anything long term.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:23 pm 

Isles get Timashov from Detroit for Future Considerations.

Bosc- any opinion on him?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:

Beauvillier might think highly of Timo, they were on a good Shawinigan team together. Sam Girard too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:03 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Beauvillier might think highly of Timo, they were on a good Shawinigan team together. Sam Girard too.

Cool, thanks.

I just keep yelling in my head "Timoooooooo!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:30 pm 
OTP Historian

My thoughts on Timashov are that I forgot he was on Detroit for the 5 games he played here until they moved his rights to the Isles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:16 pm 

Bosc wrote:
My thoughts on Timashov are that I forgot he was on Detroit for the 5 games he played here until they moved his rights to the Isles.

:lol: I had a feeling it would be something like that or that you were pissed he hadn't been able to improve enough to crack the lineup.

Typically, Isles fans are split on him. Some think he'll be in the bottom 6 for sure, in place of Brassard, while others think he'll never make the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 am 

Training camp isn't inching closer, but coming up quickly, and Barzal remains unsigned. At least officially. I've read that he & Lou have a handshake deal and are waiting to be able to announce it after they LTIR Boychuk at the beginning of camp. Supposedly Schneider, Martin and Brassard also all have deals. No clue how true any of that is, since the terms of the supposed Barzal deal range from 1 year to 8 years and everything in between, along with the money being from $5 to 9 million per year. Lou always says to use time if you have it. He's running out of it soon.

But hey, hockey is coming back soon! :toot:

Can't wait to see what Sorokin brings to the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:29 pm 

Ha, and like that, I am already wrong. Brassard signs with AZ. Best of luck to him!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Ha, and like that, I am already wrong. Brassard signs with AZ. Best of luck to him!

One more paycheque as his career winds down. Good for him, I liked him during his prime. He'll be the new Vermette aka guy who semi-retires on AZ's dime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 pm 
Big in Japan

WANT: https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/ ... 95104?s=19

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next