OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 am 
Tattoo of the Post

Tavares on playing some games at the old Coliseum next year:
Quote:
"If that’s the case, the place means a lot to the organization and the fan base. Whatever it is, I know people will be excited,’’ he said. "It’s obviously another step in the transition from Barclays and the evolution of going to Belmont.

"The Coliseum is a special place. We had an exhibition game there this year and it brought back a lot of great memories. For me, it’s where I started my career, it’s where so many great things have happened. I really haven’t thought about it a whole lot. But I’ve always said the team belongs on Long Island. It’s where the team was born, created its identity . . . If that’s the case, it’s going to be a great opportunity, a great experience to go back there and to relive — and create some more — great history."

The idea of playing part of a season in Uniondale and part at Barclays Center in Brooklyn also did not seem daunting to him. "The two-building thing . . . I know the organization will make it as easy as possible for us as players to go out there and do our job," he said. "Both places are places we’re familiar with."

That's from a comment on LightHouseHockey.com.
Sounds optimistic. And there are more rumors surrounding tomorrow's deadline, that the Isles will in fact play about 12 games at the Coliseum. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Press conference this morning, including Isles owners, Gov Cuomo, and players (yes, Tavares). Turns out they'll play roughly HALF of their games over the next 3 seasons at the Coliseum! I'll bet the games at Barclays are going to be close to empty and the Coliseum games will be sold out or close to it.

Brett Yormark, who runs both Barclays & the Coliseum, said they are going to make renovations to the locker rooms and such, to make them more modern.

Good news. Tavares liked playing there, and lives close by. Good news, indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm 
Big in Japan

How many people fit in the Coliseum at this point?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:42 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

E.L. wrote:
How many people fit in the Coliseum at this point?

~12,000. That's why they can't move back there permanently. All stories about the "renovations" say they basically just put a facade on the outside and bright paneling on the inside. They didn't do anything to increase the size of the concourse inside the building, which was one of the biggest complaints all along. It would not be approved today at the size it is. It would be considered a fire hazard. But to enlarge it they'd either have to cut into seating, or expand the building outwards, which would mean removing the outer walls, which would obviously be a massive undertaking. I thought they could do something like put a new outer ring around the outside of the building and enclose it, and essentially make it like a 2nd concourse, and remove sections of the existing outer wall, thus allowing more flow between the old and new concourses, but a similar plan was shot down. Not sure why, although cost may have been the killer.

But the story is 12 games next year at the Coliseum, and 20 or 21 in each of the following seasons. Hey, they aren't getting more than 12k in Barclays on too many nights, so why not go back to the old joint?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Barclays guy Brett Yormark made a snide comment the other day that he wishes the Isles the best of luck IF Belmont gets built. From Lighthousehockey.com- Public hearings are planned March 22 for input on the Islanders and partners’ Belmont redevelopment. Included is a “250-room hotel [that] would stand 265 feet, or about 24 stories, providing views of the racetrack” and also...OH GOD luxury outlet stores. [Baumbach & Brodsky Beat at Newsday]

Sounding more and more like Wang's old Lighthouse project that was killed due to traffic and impacts to local businesses.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Belmont arena is supposedly on schedule, despite locals complaining about the increased traffic they expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Apparently 19 protestors showed up the other day. 19. That's not going to stop the project, unless one of them happens to be a billionaire or something.

And now that sports gambling is going to be more mainstream, the Belmont racing folks are planning to upgrade their facility as well. So now the whole area may get some real money influx and infrastructure upgrades. Good or bad, it's all likely to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Lots of rumors swirling that the Isles are going to move back to the Coliseum next year, full time, until Belmont is built.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Lots of rumors swirling that the Isles are going to move back to the Coliseum next year, full time, until Belmont is built.

Funnily enough, the Habs play-by-play guy slipped the other day on air and said "I'm glad this is the last game we're ever doing in Brooklyn. Next season we'll be back at the Coliseum."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Funnily enough, the Habs play-by-play guy slipped the other day on air and said "I'm glad this is the last game we're ever doing in Brooklyn. Next season we'll be back at the Coliseum."

:lol: Everyone hates it there. They've pissed off a lot of old LI fans. They've gotten like a dozen new fans in Brooklyn. The ice sucks so players hate it. The list goes on. But I wonder if the broadcast booths suck for some reason too.
I hoped Brooklyn would work out well for them. It certainly hasn't. I just wish I could remember wtf they call the Coliseum now. NYCB Live or some stupid shit like that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6