OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:08 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mile High Hockey speculated that the Isles might be in the market for Blake Comeau (who's been playing well of late) since they lost a PK forward. I'm thinking they're not gonna trade for a guy they waived roughly 7 years ago. :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Mile High Hockey speculated that the Isles might be in the market for Blake Comeau (who's been playing well of late) since they lost a PK forward. I'm thinking they're not gonna trade for a guy they waived roughly 7 years ago. :laugh:

That seems like the dumbest rumor ever, but that's exactly what scares me; if any GM will do what people generally agree is stupid, it's Snow.

That said, him getting a concussion against them not even two weeks ago will probably scare them away, since they know very well he had at least 1 before that.

I'm not against defensive forwards, but I think Comeau's ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 pm 

He's a perfectly good 4th line guy who plunks in some goals (has a pretty good one-timer) and does really well on the PK (when he isn't in the box for a dumb penalty himself). But not much more than that. Snow and Co. obviously had higher expectations of him and I can see why. Scrappy, decent skater with a deceptively good release, just overall not good enough to be a top six (or really even top nine) guy.

If any team should be looking to trade for someone like that it's Edmonton. They're getting absolutely murdered on the PK and their bottom six is laughable.

Most people expected Garth to make a panic deal or two because of Tavares's status but so far he's stayed the course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
He's a perfectly good 4th line guy who plunks in some goals (has a pretty good one-timer) and does really well on the PK (when he isn't in the box for a dumb penalty himself). But not much more than that. Snow and Co. obviously had higher expectations of him and I can see why. Scrappy, decent skater with a deceptively good release, just overall not good enough to be a top six (or really even top nine) guy.

If any team should be looking to trade for someone like that it's Edmonton. They're getting absolutely murdered on the PK and their bottom six is laughable.

Most people expected Garth to make a panic deal or two because of Tavares's status but so far he's stayed the course.

Comeau was Josh Bailey before Josh Bailey was Josh Bailey... I always felt like Comeau was holding something back. He'd let loose vs the Rangers and be amazing, then go ghost for the next 12 games.

Rumor is JT's talks are starting up again. Which is a great thing. Although, they visit Tampa on Saturday. I think they should scratch him and make him stay in NY. :lol:

Last night the Isles nearly blew a game vs the Hurricanes. I checked the scores to find the following: Isles up 3-1, Isles down 4-3, Isles won 6-4. Even the players were saying the 2nd period was awful. Somehow Boychuk was a +5, and had the game winner.
It was Veterans Night at Barclays, with a service dog in training dropping the ceremonial puck. That was cool. Although I think JT & Faulk should have shaken paws with the dog. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
It was Veterans Night at Barclays, with a service dog in training dropping the ceremonial puck. That was cool. Although I think JT & Faulk should have shaken paws with the dog. :lol:

That was pretty neat and yeah, shaking paws would have been awesome :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:29 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That was pretty neat and yeah, shaking paws would have been awesome :lol:

How do you not shake with the dog? :lol: JT was part of the 2nd annual Isles-dogs calendar... This year he even looks somewhat comfortable with the dog. Last year his pics looked so uncomfortable for him and the dog. JT- Captain personality. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm 

Great win vs the Bolts on Saturday and a crappy loss to Carolina 22 hours later. The Metro is super tight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

Ward plays an amazing game and the Isles lose to Carolina 4-2.
Still in 7th, but by an ass hair. 3 points separate the Metro leading Devils and 9th place Carolina. NHL parity at its best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

Philly tonight, minus Gudas. They get to play the Flyers twice while he serves his suspension.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 am 

The opening sequence here doesn't fully do justice to Tavares' play. Skip to 1:20 for the full play. Holy shit. https://www.nhl.com/islanders/video/baileys-ot-game-winning-goal/t-277437420/c-54901703

Isles win in OT vs Philly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
The opening sequence here doesn't fully do justice to Tavares' play. Skip to 1:20 for the full play. Holy shit. https://www.nhl.com/islanders/video/baileys-ot-game-winning-goal/t-277437420/c-54901703

Isles win in OT vs Philly.

That sequence by Tavares was incredible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 am 

Isles beat Philly in OT for the 2nd time in 2 games. Leddy with the OT winner, from Ho-Sang, who has 8 points in 12 games since returning from Bridgeport. Barzal with another goal, even if it went off of his knee. Also had an assist. Isles fans are saying he should get Calder consideration. Maybe the talk is justified. He's very good on both sides of the puck. Meanwhile, Anthony Beauvillier looks kind of lost when he plays.

After the OT goal you can see Clutterbuck go right over to the glass to talk to a Flyers fan who had been heckling the Isles all night. They edited the video on the Isles site, but on TV you could see the guy flipping Clutterbuck off. :lol:

Random notes- Chimera has 0G & 3A in 22 games. Not looking too good. Josh Bailey leads the team in points (!) with 27, JT with 26. Third place is a tie at 22 between the remaining first line forward Anders Lee and Mat Barzal. Good company kid. Leddy leads the D with 22 points. Nobody else on D has more than 8, and that's Pelech, who had a 4A game a few weeks ago.

Halak & Greiss don't exactly look stellar. Halak with an .896 & Greiss with .903. Those are hardly the save %s you want to see from your veteran goalies, but the team is still a +9 overall and in 3rd place in the Metro. Albeit by an ass hair.

Senators up next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 am 

Astounding. I thought Garth Snow was Dead GM Walking but he has something cooking once again in NY. If the Isles get their new rink and sign JT long term they'll be set for a while.

Guess that's what happens when a rival GM practically gift wraps an entire scoring line in exchange for two busted prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Astounding. I thought Garth Snow was Dead GM Walking but he has something cooking once again in NY. If the Isles get their new rink and sign JT long term they'll be set for a while.

Guess that's what happens when a rival GM practically gift wraps an entire scoring line in exchange for two busted prospects.

Eberle now has more goals than Hall, who was taunting him on Twitter not long ago. :lol: Isles supposedly could have had Hall for Hamonic back when Hamonic had asked for a trade to a western Canadian team. That would have been nice, but yeah, the Isles are doing well, all things considered.

Snow really needs to obtain a better goalie after this year though. Greiss & Halak are both good when they're on, but neither has taken control. Maybe Weight should stick with one for a time to get them into a groove, but I keep waiting to see one have a good streak, only to be disappointed. It looks more and more like Sorokin will never come over. He's entrenched in the KHL and doing well, so why should he leave? It would make more sense for him to stay there. Bummer.

Barzal is looking great. Kid just keeps doing all the right things.

Their schedule has so many damned weird breaks. They keep going like 3 days without playing, then have 3 games in 4 nights, often with the 2nd and 3rd games at earlier start times, so they don't even get a full 24 hours rest. I wonder if anyone analyzes that in all 31 team schedules. Wonder if it's done relatively equally to all the teams. Not saying that's why they're in 3rd. Just wondering if some teams get screwed. Western teams already get screwed with longer travel. If they have this too, they're really fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:09 pm 

Canucks at Isles tonight. Barzal vs Boeser? Calder showdown? Much more likely than a Cup Finals showdown. :lol: Unless both get traded, and that wouldn't be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 pm 

Isles beat the Canucks 5-2. Both teams score/allow SH goals. WTF? Isles PP was -1/3. They seriously need to smack the shit out of whoever is running the PP. It's ranked 12th, but if you include the 234926 (okay, it's really 8) SH goals they've allowed so far, it would shit the bed in the standings, like it does on the ice. They've scored 4 SH goals.

Isles with goals from Ladd (SH), de Haan, Eberle, Lee and Tavares. Barzal with an assist to stay at a perfect 1.0 ppg.

Eberle now has 10 goals. He did an interview in which he said it was tough to play in Edmonton because it's like being in a fishbowl, with everyone always commenting (mostly negative). Taylor Hall agreed and both were subsequently ripped by Spector.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

Sens in town, having lost 7 straight. Isles have won 4 straight. I expect the Sens to whoop the Isles, due to both teams coming back towards .500. Hope I'm wrong.

Isles have been asked about having "swagger". Thomas Hickey said they are confident, but not arrogant, as arrogance usually comes back to slap you in the face. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:21 pm 

It all comes down to what Erik Karlsson does. He basically has to be the best player on the ice by a fair margin for the Sens to have any hope of winning. Duchene is not the gamebreaker they hoped he'd be and frankly, that's a really poorly-constructed team. The fluke run to the Conference Finals threw expectations waaaaaay outta whack. That and Duchene is in his current "Trying too hard" mode. Unless the goaltending lets them down, I'm guessing they'll stomp the Sens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:54 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
It all comes down to what Erik Karlsson does. He basically has to be the best player on the ice by a fair margin for the Sens to have any hope of winning. Duchene is not the gamebreaker they hoped he'd be and frankly, that's a really poorly-constructed team. The fluke run to the Conference Finals threw expectations waaaaaay outta whack. That and Duchene is in his current "Trying too hard" mode. Unless the goaltending lets them down, I'm guessing they'll stomp the Sens.

Please don't interrupt me when I'm in the middle of lowering my expectations in order to stave off the fury in case of a let down. I'm very deep in thought, and your "facts" are just getting in the way. It is 2017 you know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm 

Well, the good news was that NEITHER goalies was particularly good last night. :lol: :suprisedtoangry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next