OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off-season thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles sign RFA Scott Mayfield to a 2 year, 1-way deal. WTF? D is getting quite crowded!

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock
Mayfield.
Adam Pelech was also supposed to be good enough to make the opening night roster. It's a good problem to have I guess. Or a trade is coming.

Only RFAs left- Alan Quine & Ryan Strome. I would think Quine is pushing for a 1-way deal, as he feels he proved his worth in the post-season. Strome- who knows? He's probably pushing for a good pay day, and Snow is saying "1 year and show me that last year was the fluke, not the year before."

Isles are also rumored to be pursuing a deal for Jacob Trouba. I don't see why.

Isles assistant GM (former Caps GM), George McPhee, is rumored to be a finalist for the Vegas GM job. I hope not. Every time a guy goes from assistant to GM elsewhere, they cherry pick players from their former team. Hence, the Isles bringing Chimera in...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:50 am 

New partial owner Ledecky met with Isles season ticket holders last night. He said some interesting things. Vowed they'll spend to the cap if that's what it takes to compete for a Cup, said last year was good, but they have to win their 2nd round this year & wants a Cup within the next few years, said he'll stay out of hockey ops, BUT vowed Tavares will never be a free agent- but will be an Islander for his career. Coming from the team that gave Yashin & DiPietro their last NHL contracts, that makes me slightly nervous, but at least there's the 8 year contract max now. Thanks new CBA! Some fans took him saying they have to win their 2nd round this year as a threat to Capuano & Snow. Maybe it was.

He also said he's spoken to many Isles fans, without telling them who he is, so he's gotten a lot of honest fan feedback on what they're looking for. He's going to work with Barclays to make the fan experience "better & better", whatever that means.

So all in all, he said what every owner says in their first official press conference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm 

New Isles rumor is that the Coyotes have given Ryan Strome an offer sheet of $3.5 million. No word on how many years. Makes some sense- he's still an unsigned RFA & his brother is on the Coyotes, so he might play well with him. I don't think Snow planned on giving Strome that much, since he had a shitty sophomore year. this could get interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Boy, much as the analytics community tells me otherwise, I still believe the Sophomore Slump truly is a thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:54 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Boy, much as the analytics community tells me otherwise, I still believe the Sophomore Slump truly is a thing.

Yep. He had just better make sure he doesn't hit the Junior Jinx too. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 pm 

Isles fans are such an entertaining lot. For like 2 decades they yelled & screamed about the team having no depth. Now that they have depth, they're complaining about it. "We've got too many forwards!", "Our 19 year old prospect won't make the team because there are no spots!", "We're going to lose a really good player in the expansion draft! We've got too many good players!" :lol: What a lot. They're never happy.

Most are upset that Mathew Barzal won't make the opening night roster because there are already 14 F on 1-way deals. All of those guys have NHL track records, which Barzal doesn't yet. I'm not saying he's a bust, but I don't want to see him make the roster simply because he's the best recent 1st round pick. No need for another Josh Bailey experiment. Give the kid some more time in juniors, unless he somehow blows other guys away in camp. If that happens, worry about it then! The rosterbating is ridiculous.

Is it training camp yet? This summer is brutal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Could the Isles be on the move again? This time from Brooklyn to Queens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/islanders- ... soc_trk=tw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Could the Isles be on the move again? This time from Brooklyn to Queens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/islanders- ... soc_trk=tw

It's a place I thought could work. But it's probably just being used as leverage by the new owners against Barclays, to get them to improve things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:45 pm 

More on the Queens arena issue: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/7/ ... red-wilpon

In other news, Eric Boulton has signed a 2-way deal, making $575k if he's on the Isles and $150k if he's on the Sound Tigers, + a $50k bonus of some sort, guaranteeing he makes at least $200k for the year. In related news, Boulton sniggered, while saying that video of Snow in a ball gag, unable to pronounce his safety word, while wearing a chicken costume drizzled with honey & steak sauce, has gone a long way for his career.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:44 pm 

Aaaaaaaaaaand, the new owners are talking to everyone & anyone with a few acres of land who might build them an Isles-specific arena. Maybe it's all leverage vs Barclays, or maybe they are sick of the fans ranting about how much Barclays sucks. It's like we're back to a few years ago with all the talk of where they could move...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 pm 

Tavares saying he'd like to stay with the Isles for the long haul. :D http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/7/ ... ree-agency

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:42 am 

So there's way more info coming out that the new owners really aren't happy with the Barclays deal and really do want out. Maybe it's more PR by them, and/or more attempt at leverage vs Barclays. Ledecky says he sat with fans in lots of different seats, never saying who he was. Says he heard tons of complaints about Barclays...

So here's my crazy idea. It will probably take like 4-5 years to get a new arena from concept to ribbon cutting. By then the Sound Tigers lease in Bridgeport will be up. Maybe the Isles build a new double-rink facility near CitiField in Queens. The transportation is already in place for the Mets, and there are parking lots in the area so tailgating could make a comeback. There would be 1 NHL quality rink for the Isles, and a 2nd rink the Isles could use as a practice rink during the day, then the Sound Tigers could play AHL games there at night. Maybe even have the NY Riveters play there as well, since they only have 9 home games, plus playoffs, which as of now, is 3 home games max (NWHL Finals are played at a neutral site). It might be a logistical nightmare, or it might be great for all teams involved. Calling someone up would mean yelling down the hallway for him, and the AHLers could get a closer look at NHL life & what it takes to get/stay there.

Still no word on Ryan Strome's contract situation.

McPhee said the other day that Snow wished him luck in his LV GM job, but also said he can't wait to see McPhee looking old again (I'm assuming due to the GM stress level). McPhee thanked Snow for helping him land the LV GM job and Snow told him to remember that come the expansion draft. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:56 pm 

Nobody else will give a shit, but I'm happy the Isles new TV announcer isn't Kris King; he of the incredibly high pitched "he scoooooooores!" call when the Isles won the Panthers series, and the entire internet once again laughed at the Isles.

Instead it's Brendan Burke: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/ ... -announcer
He's been doing Utica Comets games for a while. I can't wait to hear Butch Goring call him Brian Burke. Sean Burke. Delta Burke... Butch is great for "Butch"ering names.

In other news, Ryan Strome still hasn't signed.
And apparently the Isles shot selection sucked donkey last year: http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/8/10/passing ... tributions

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Man, had to do a double-take on that name. Another Brendan Burke?

Is the Wang Rule regarding camp still a thing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Is the Wang Rule regarding camp still a thing?

That's a question LOTS of Isles fans & media are asking, but not getting an answer to! Ledecky has been in Rio watching his niece win several gold medals, and he's the more vocal/visible owner. Maybe after he returns we'll hear if the Lockout with your Wang out rule still exists. Still no word on Strome's asking price or Isles offer either. I'm assuming a bridge, or "show us last year was the fluke" type contract.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 am 

I'd say Tavares is getting sick of the TO media ragging on the Barclays Center for various reasons, including the ice: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/8/ ... ce-toronto

If you don't feel like reading it, he was asked how bad the ice is. He admitted they had some problems early on, but that it was at its best in the playoffs since they'd worked to figure it out. He adds that even at its worst, Barclays wasn't the worst NHL ice he skated on last year, adding that distinction goes to Toronto on March 9th. He says it was really hot in the building... So go shit in your toques, TO "let's convince JT that NY sucks and TO is the greatest place to play" super-biased media. (Where is our old middle finger smiley??? I loved that guy!)

Other Isles news:

Christopher Gibson, one of the return pieces from the Grabner trade, has signed a 1-year, 2-way deal. Actually, I think Gibson is the only remaining piece from the Grabner trade. Most of them were unceremoniously let go.

Isles now appear to have only about $2.4 million in cap space on generalfanager, but when Boulton, Gibson & Pelech get sent to Bridgeport, that will clear about $1.8 million more, giving them about $4.2 in space, with Ryan Strome the 1 remaining unsigned RFA.

Isles fans continue to debate if Halak should be traded with Berube & Greiss in the fold, and Halak costing more than the other two combined, and Greiss outplaying Halak most of last year.

More board fodder is if Grabovski will ever play again, or will get LTIR treatment due to his concussions. Rumor is he won't be ready to start the season from the last one. That will be like 6 months since he got it! That's pretty serious, and LTIR may become a real option. That would clear $5 million in space, suddenly giving them enough room to make a move for a top 6 winger, likely from a cap-strapped team. The Penguins are $2.3 million over the Cap & the Red Wings are $4 million over! Wonder if the Isles could move some prospects for Frans Nielsen! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Detroit's over the cap with that lineup? Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:57 am 

E.L. wrote:

According to www.generalfanager.com, yes.

Read an interview with Isles prospect Mathew Barzal. Sounds like a great kid. He's got a real shot at making the Isles this year out of camp, and says he has every intention of doing that; not going back to his junior team in Seattle. Says it's cliche, but the biggest differences between juniors and the NHL are the size of players, speed of the game and how smart all the d-men are. He's been working on bulking up to be more competitive. That's what I like to hear! I expect him to get at least some of the 9 game tryout treatment. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the team. And be a contributor.

Come on October. Hurry up and get here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:33 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Hey, I come in here to read about the Isles, not to be reminded of the Wings!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 pm 

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Hey, I come in here to read about the Isles, not to be reminded of the Wings!

I'm just happy when ever anyone else ventures in here. Sorry Bosc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next