OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Martin Brodeur retires.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm 
Offline
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 1702
I know he's doing it as a Blue and will go to work in the Blues front office but this announcement belongs in here. Yesterday Martin Brodeur, the NHL all time leader in goaltender wins, shutouts and games played, announced his retirement. Brodeur won 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophy's and the Calder Trophy. He also won two gold medals playing for Team Canada. The trapezoids behind the nets that now grace every hockey rink are there because of Brodeur's puck handling abilities. He is the greatest goal tender of all time.

Image

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/01/27/martin-brodeur-to-retire-and-join-blues-front-office-reports.html

_________________
Bíonn macalla ag an bheatha sa tsíoraíocht. Liverpool FC: 2019 and 6-time Champions of Europe. YNWA. JFT 96


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7313
Enjoy the additional time to be with your families, Uncle-Daddy.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 pm 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10820
Location: Saskabush
RW wrote:
He is the greatest goal tender of all time.


Great goalie, very accomplished, but no to this sentence. He didn't even inherit the 'Best Goalie in the NHL' mantle until Hasek was a Red Wing and Roy was retired (both of whom he was measurably inferior to right until the end). And then he was quickly challenged for the title by first Luongo, then Lundqvist.

Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.

Can we finally axe the trapezoid now that he's gone, though?

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 am 
Offline
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 1702
saskhab wrote:
RW wrote:
He is the greatest goal tender of all time.


Great goalie, very accomplished, but no to this sentence. He didn't even inherit the 'Best Goalie in the NHL' mantle until Hasek was a Red Wing and Roy was retired (both of whom he was measurably inferior to right until the end). And then he was quickly challenged for the title by first Luongo, then Lundqvist.

Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.

Can we finally axe the trapezoid now that he's gone, though?


I won't argue really hard on goalies with you Bruce. You have a better handle on them than I do. Even though I said it above, I still had a tough time ranking him above Roy. I just looked at Brodeur's body of work after he was done. It was mostly just the moment.

I'm all for axing the trapezoid. Petr Mrazek is a pretty deft puck handler.

_________________
Bíonn macalla ag an bheatha sa tsíoraíocht. Liverpool FC: 2019 and 6-time Champions of Europe. YNWA. JFT 96


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 am 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10447
Location: 'Real City
Brodeur wasn't fat by any means, but he was quite doughy for a professional goalie and for that I'll always respect him.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9638
saskhab wrote:
Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.


Brodeur's cumulative numbers are just insane. 12 straight years of 67+ games. 691 wins, fucking hell. That's an average of 40 wins a season for over 17 years.

He and Hasek were weirdos when it came to how they played their position, that's for sure. Hasek in any era, Brodeur in the modern butterfly era.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:55 am 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 2442
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.


Brodeur's cumulative numbers are just insane. 12 straight years of 67+ games. 691 wins, fucking hell. That's an average of 40 wins a season for over 17 years.

He and Hasek were weirdos when it came to how they played their position, that's for sure. Hasek in any era, Brodeur in the modern butterfly era.
What makes it even crazier is how reactionary fly by the seat of your pants goaltending has completely vanished from the game. Looking back at the replays, it seems unlikely that this type of goaltending would be this successful in the modern era but who knows?!

AXE THE TRAPEZOID


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 am 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10820
Location: Saskabush
Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.


Brodeur's cumulative numbers are just insane. 12 straight years of 67+ games. 691 wins, fucking hell. That's an average of 40 wins a season for over 17 years.

He and Hasek were weirdos when it came to how they played their position, that's for sure. Hasek in any era, Brodeur in the modern butterfly era.
What makes it even crazier is how reactionary fly by the seat of your pants goaltending has completely vanished from the game. Looking back at the replays, it seems unlikely that this type of goaltending would be this successful in the modern era but who knows?!

Worked for Tim Thomas.

The thing is, with Hasek and Brodeur there was real method to the madness. They knew where you were going. It was reactive but they were great at anticipating the play. Thomas, by contrast (and say, Cechmanek), generally played super aggressive and were exposed by cross-ice passes, etc., which their defences tried to limit. Brodeur and Hasek were rarely exposed like that. They had a mindset of the butterfly guy who plays the angles and percentages but they still liked sliding on the ice, flopping, just get a body part in front of it and not necessarily your body.

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:13 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9638
saskhab wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Anyway, great goalie. A top 10 all-timer, first ballot Hall of Famer. The weirdo who played the position as if he was improvising it when everyone else was following a guide. Still great into his mid-late-30s, and great when he first broke in as a 20 year old, too. We don't see too many like him.


Brodeur's cumulative numbers are just insane. 12 straight years of 67+ games. 691 wins, fucking hell. That's an average of 40 wins a season for over 17 years.

He and Hasek were weirdos when it came to how they played their position, that's for sure. Hasek in any era, Brodeur in the modern butterfly era.
What makes it even crazier is how reactionary fly by the seat of your pants goaltending has completely vanished from the game. Looking back at the replays, it seems unlikely that this type of goaltending would be this successful in the modern era but who knows?!

Worked for Tim Thomas.

The thing is, with Hasek and Brodeur there was real method to the madness. They knew where you were going. It was reactive but they were great at anticipating the play. Thomas, by contrast (and say, Cechmanek), generally played super aggressive and were exposed by cross-ice passes, etc., which their defences tried to limit. Brodeur and Hasek were rarely exposed like that. They had a mindset of the butterfly guy who plays the angles and percentages but they still liked sliding on the ice, flopping, just get a body part in front of it and not necessarily your body.


Bingo. I think I had actually typed out that they had a method to their madness in my above reply but removed that.

Hasek had a great first butterfly. Anticipation and limiting low goals. His puck awareness was also uncanny. He weird style of laying down was an amazing understanding of vertical angles. Cover low and at a certain point they don't have enough of an angle to go high on you.

Brodeur more of a one-legged butterfly style for sure. He actually used to say that he liked to keep shooters guessing(might have been with respect to shootouts).

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 pm 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10820
Location: Saskabush
The one thing Brodeur is something that isn't popular now: a dominant goalie on a top team that wins championships. Basically he was the last one. Since then, the best goalies have generally toiled on relatively mediocre clubs (including Brodeur, who was left behind by all the other Jersey stars). For whatever reason, the teams with the best goalies haven't really been able to build a top tier team around them post-lockout. The closest we did have was Vancouver with Luongo/Schneider and Boston with Thomas/Rask, and Anaheim's 07 run with Giguere. I mean, we have good goalies on great teams and great goalie performances in the playoffs (Quick), but the best goalies generally haven't been able to be on a Cup winner.

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7313
Bosc wrote:
He weird style of laying down was an amazing understanding of vertical angles. Cover low and at a certain point they don't have enough of an angle to go high on you.


I have wanted for years to take simultaneous photos from several different angles to explain to players & parents that "1/2 the net" really ISN'T open to the shooter, even if it looks it from the stands. One view I really want is the puck's view. If you lay a camera on the ice, angled up toward the net, you'd be amazed how big a goalie pad in butterfly position would look, and how little net is available (depending on distance from goalie of course). Well, you guys might not be, but the average hockey parent, who spends 45 minutes yelling "skaaaaaaate" might find it amazing.

People always think there is so much to shoot at.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group