(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm 

he'll be in the KHL, can't see him missing the Russian Olympics but the interesting thing is how does this tie into the cap recapture?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

WTF?

:psyduck:

Devils are screwed short term but better off long term. I guess they can pick up Jagr and any other interesting leftover UFAs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm 

hammer wrote:
WTF?

:psyduck:

Devils are screwed short term but better off long term. I guess they can pick up Jagr and any other interesting leftover UFAs.

No first rounder in 2014. Oh yes, they're screwed. How ironic is it that Kovalchuk somehow found a way to make the penalty for that first contract pay in the worst way possible?

Apparently the recapture penalty isn't all that terrible, just lasts a LONG time. $250,000 in dead cap space until 2024-25.

Just...stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
OTP Historian

What

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:00 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

A week after free agency opens??? He must have wanted to screw the devils. Or he asked for certain players to be brought in and they didn't make offers...
Wow. Great for division d teams though. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Devils had the very easy decision in 2012 to forfeit the pick when it was 29th overall. I'm not going to weep for them for that idiocy.

Kovalchuk retires with 417 goals at age 30. He'd easily have been a 600 goal man if he played to 37, I'd think. There aren't many goal scorers like that. It's a definite blow to the league as a whole.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Shine on you crazy Russian prince!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
A week after free agency opens??? He must have wanted to screw the devils. Or he asked for certain players to be brought in and they didn't make offers...

Apparently they had been talking throughout the year so this didn't come as a complete shock to the Devils.

saskhab wrote:
Devils had the very easy decision in 2012 to forfeit the pick when it was 29th overall. I'm not going to weep for them for that idiocy.

Kovalchuk retires with 417 goals at age 30. He'd easily have been a 600 goal man if he played to 37, I'd think. There aren't many goal scorers like that. It's a definite blow to the league as a whole.

Did they know it was #29 when they had to choose? If they did, then yeah, idiocy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Saves the Devils $56 million over the next 6 years, not sure how upset the Devils are over that.

After the Devils close his contract he can come back as an FA in a couple years. This is much more likely to upset Buttman than the Devils, especially if he resigns in the KHL. NHL was supposed to announce participation in the Olympics in the next couple weeks, won't be surprised if that gets delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm 
Apologist for [insert Flyer here]

Sucks to be NJ and their fans. :haha:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Watch the NHL let the Devils off the hook on the 1st rounder now. Better not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:50 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

The first rounder was a joke. There was nothing in the CBA that prohibited the signing but the NHL didn't like it so stepped in and created a new rule and punished them for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Saves the Devils $56 million over the next 6 years, not sure how upset the Devils are over that.

After the Devils close his contract he can come back as an FA in a couple years. This is much more likely to upset Buttman than the Devils, especially if he resigns in the KHL. NHL was supposed to announce participation in the Olympics in the next couple weeks, won't be surprised if that gets delayed.

"Saves the Devils $56m", uh, they lost a player worth $7m+ so I wouldn't really say it saved them that money.

Ziggy Palffy retired from the NHL in 2006, a year after signing a multi-year deal with Pittsburgh. He went home and played in Slovakia for the rest of his career and participated in the 2010 Olympics. Retirement from the NHL doesn't mean you are retired from hockey.

If he does come back to the NHL, that's a different issue. But the NHL has let players retire and continue playing hockey outside their old NHL contract before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

The first rounder was a joke. There was nothing in the CBA that prohibited the signing but the NHL didn't like it so stepped in and created a new rule and punished them for it.

What? It was ruled cap circumvention according to the terms of the 2005 CBA by an independent arbitrator. Cap circumvention subjects teams to fines, draft pick losses, and other potential punishments. It absolutely was in the NHL's ability to do what they did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm 
King of Men

Wait a minute isn't Lou a genius?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Did they know it was #29 when they had to choose? If they did, then yeah, idiocy.

I think they knew it was 27-30 at the time they had to choose. Might've even known it was 29 or 30. I think they needed to give two weeks notice. Word is they wanted to pick either Subban or Vasilievskiy badly. And then they got neither.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

As much influence as Lou wields in the NHL, I doubt even Gary will lift a finger to help him here. As Sask said, they had a shot at forfeiting the pick when it was the 2nd lowest in the draft. I remember even being surprised when I heard the Devils were going to use it.

BTW, anyone remember who they picked with that 29th overall selection? Stefan Matteau--the kid who played 17 games so the ELC kicked in, got returned to juniors anyway, and then left the team (where his old man is an assistant coach) in a huff.

Hope that was worth it Lou! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

"Saves the Devils $56m", uh, they lost a player worth $7m+ so I wouldn't really say it saved them that money.

Ziggy Palffy retired from the NHL in 2006, a year after signing a multi-year deal with Pittsburgh. He went home and played in Slovakia for the rest of his career and participated in the 2010 Olympics. Retirement from the NHL doesn't mean you are retired from hockey.

If he does come back to the NHL, that's a different issue. But the NHL has let players retire and continue playing hockey outside their old NHL contract before.

Never said that he couldn't play nor that he shouldn't. Really depends on if the Devils decided to retain his rights and I'm assuming they will not as they will want to get out of the contract, therefore he should be able to play anywhere. And if the Devils close his contract then he should be able to return to the NHL without problems next year.

How do you figure he's work $7+ a year? What valuation are you measuring that in: net profit; revenue or market value? If the latter then that really varies from team to team depending on their finances and since the Devils restructured in December then defaulted in April (pretty much unheard for an organization to default that quickly after restructuring) I think it's a pretty safe assumption they are seeking to become a cap floor team and not a cap ceiling team. There might be a business case for his contract for their specific market but keep in mind they have interest payments on top of the loans they're using to keep afloat so the business case would need to cover that cost as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 pm 

You could definitely argue the Kovalchuk contract cost them Parise.

I'm gonna have to venture over to the Devils forum on HF and gauge the level of fanbase meltdown. :munch: :eng101: