OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Is PK still a top talent? You western folks see him more often than me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Is PK still a top talent? You western folks see him more often than me.

I think he's still elite, but he played hurt for a huge chunk of the season, and it showed.

Nonetheless, I don't think that top four of Josi, Subban, Ellis, and Ekholm, has ended up as good as the Preds had hoped. Something's missing. And I think Poile and Nashville will come to regret the massive extension they gave Ellis. I think Ellis is good, but not THAT good.

The "something missing" might actually be an elite, dynamic forward up front. But I don't exactly know how Nashville gets their hands on one, and they don't have any forwards I'd consider real gamebreakers apart from Forsberg. Turris was a tremendous disappointment this season...it could be that Mark Stone made him look a lot better than he actually was.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 pm 
Big in Japan

The Preds defence this year was like the blind men touching the elephant: depending on when you watched you saw a different dman be the worst.

PK, Ek and Ellis at times were hurt, sluggish, off and not up to their usual standard. Only one who was as good as ever was Josi, who's a UFA next season. They can live without one of the other three, but they can't live without Roman.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

The PK trade rumours aren't dying down, nor is the chatter of Poile just giving up on Turris and using whatever cap space is available on a big fish like Duchene.

I'll believe it when I see it.

But if this is Poile's swan song, then he's probably got a big swing or two in him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 pm 
Big in Japan

So PK gone, Duchene in and Turris the red headed step child.

Did the window close on the Nashville Predators? I think they've got one more year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:51 pm 

Poile does another Yarn-Croak contract, this time for Colton Sissons.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/272 ... r-20m-deal

$20 million for seven years, AAV is $2.8 million.

The analytics community is sure divided on this one. Seven years is MASSIVE term for a career bottom six guy, but he has been one of the best defensive forwards in the league for a while now and is around 25 years of age. I suppose if you want to bet large on a guy like this, this is the one to bet on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Keep that AAV low, let someone else worry about the back end of that deal.

Only question now is whether Poile can move Turris for something worthwhile. Is it really worth moving him to the wing or putting him 3rd or 4th line centre?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Keep that AAV low, let someone else worry about the back end of that deal.

Only question now is whether Poile can move Turris for something worthwhile. Is it really worth moving him to the wing or putting him 3rd or 4th line centre?

I've always said if you want the very most out of Matt Duchene, put a center on his wing or just move him to the wing. He pretty much plays like one no matter where you put him, and I think as he ages will eventually get moved there anyway out of necessity. I could see him and Turris doing really well since Turris has some two-way acumen (whereas Matty most assuredly does not) and Turris can snipe pretty well when given enough space to do so, while Duchene does his best work lower in the zone. Is that worth the massive price tag? Well...at the very least they should see if he can inflate his value and then sell high at the deadline or offseason.

Oh...forgot Mikael Granlund is already projected to be Matty's LW next season. Well, an all-center 2nd line still might not be a bad idea.

Doubt they can do it but they might prefer to move Bonino and then just slot Granlund or Turris in at 3C...or even Seven-Year-Itch Sissons can play there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:51 pm 

He's still only 20 years old, but Eeli Tolvanen sure went from hot commodity to afterthought pretty fast, didn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Preds lock up Roman Josi: 8 years, 9.059M AAV (he's number 59) and full NMC.