(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This belongs here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:07 am 
OTP Clown

PK retired.

I loved him as a player.

Had the chance to teach a class he was in when he was in the 9th grade at Runnymede CI.

He was gracious and kind and quite humble publicly.

Put 20k people in front of me chanting my name?

The humility would disappear instantly.

Good luck PK, you were one of the greats.

Looking forward to your tee vee career.

Go to HNIC so we can get rid of some of those tools please.

Post subject: Re: This belongs here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:13 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

No offense to him whatsoever, I'm glad he's hanging them up, I suppose he waited a bit to see if there was anything serious out there, but it's time.

Absolutely PHENOMENAL player in his prime who never got the credit and appreciation he deserved despite landing huge $$$ and a Norris. A shame he had a resentful GM in Montreal actively working against him. The run in Nashville should've been better too but he somehow ended up as injured as Shea Weber.

Gonna love him in the broadcast booth. In a sport bereft of fun personalities he's a big standout.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 am 

Glad he held out for max money when he could because this was bound to happen. He was never going to be the Iginla wall flower so I'm not surprised (although I am disappointed) he didn't get any offers, but hey, he's also never going to worry about money and has set himself up well for a post-NHL career. Win!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Dude wanted the spotlight in the best possible ways, in my opinion. He wanted the puck on his stick against the Bruins in the playoffs, and he wanted to be the guy handing the hospital the big cheque.

Even after the notoriously heartless and stingy Molson exiled PK for upstaging him, Subban kept coming back to fulfill his promise to the kids. In his retirement statement he said he saw himself as more than a hockey player, and he was. An electrifying hockey player at his best, but just an all-around good dude who was kind to us dull normals and he didn't change for the assholes who didn't like him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:17 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
Dude wanted the spotlight in the best possible ways, in my opinion. He wanted the puck on his stick against the Bruins in the playoffs, and he wanted to be the guy handing the hospital the big cheque.

Even after the notoriously heartless and stingy Molson exiled PK for upstaging him, Subban kept coming back to fulfill his promise to the kids. In his retirement statement he said he saw himself as more than a hockey player, and he was. An electrifying hockey player at his best, but just an all-around good dude who was kind to us dull normals and he didn't change for the assholes who didn't like him.

Well said! My sentiments exactly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I feel like the PK situation (but also, analytics) have really made a huge dynamic shift when it comes to bridge contracts. You don't see many get handed out these days, and I think that is in part because Subban gambled on himself and won. Big time. And I think that left Molson and Bergevin extraordinarily bitter too.