OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 am 
Big in Japan

This was mostly mental. Price absolutely got in their heads. Marner looked like a deer in headlights in Game 7. You could see it coming. They sabotaged their own chances.

I've really never seen anything like it. The Leafs absolutely should've won and they just couldn't do it. The Habs, meanwhile, were too stubborn to admit defeat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 am 
OTP Historian

:shock:

That Matthews post rings loud. Hyman couldn't get the damn puck over Price's pad. How many chances did he have in close?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:58 am 
Big in Japan

Some of this, I'll begrudgingly admit, was by design:

Bergevin built around Price and a big, slow defence that could collapse in front of him. It worked.

Dubas built a top heavy team. Tavares and Muzzin got hurt and they couldn't adjust.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Some of this, I'll begrudgingly admit, was by design:

Bergevin built around Price and a big, slow defence that could collapse in front of him. It worked.

Dubas built a top heavy team. Tavares and Muzzin got hurt and they couldn't adjust.

Tavares and Muzzin are absolutely huge pieces to lose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:16 am 
OTP Clown

Mariner looks completely lost. He should just quit talking all together. As for pig face boy? He should go back to rollerblades.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:50 am 
OTP Historian

Stinky wrote:
Mariner looks completely lost. He should just quit talking all together. As for pig face boy? He should go back to rollerblades.

Marner collapsed last night. Literally and figuratively. He fell down a few times without anyone touching him from what I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:

Tavares may not have been on the ice for the majority of these playoffs, but he hasn't won a round in 3 years with his chosen team.
His former team, that was going to be totally screwed when he left according to everyone on the planet, has won 5 rounds so far in those same 3 years. So I beg to differ on that half of your sentence.

And if anyone wants to argue that a team losing its Captain for the playoffs is going to be a bit screwed, the Isles have won a round without Lee and are tied in Round 2 now.

My word of the day- Schaedenfraude.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:50 pm 

I think it's telling that the two top heavy teams, regardless of talent, are out of the playoffs. As hard as it will be to do, they may have no choice but to break up the band for better depth.

And......

:haha: :rock:

The Ghosts may be Rising from their Slumber....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:26 pm 
OTP Clown

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Tavares may not have been on the ice for the majority of these playoffs, but he hasn't won a round in 3 years with his chosen team.
His former team, that was going to be totally screwed when he left according to everyone on the planet, has won 5 rounds so far in those same 3 years. So I beg to differ on that half of your sentence.

And if anyone wants to argue that a team losing its Captain for the playoffs is going to be a bit screwed, the Isles have won a round without Lee and are tied in Round 2 now.

My word of the day- Schaedenfraude.

I didn't realize how much better they are without him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I sure hope this doesn't result in good people losing their jobs, because this particular failure might hit close to home for all of us. Nobody here wants that.

That said...the Leafs really surprised and disappointed me this year. After driving the bus with analytics they went full VETERAN PRESENCE this offseason. And frankly I think that may have made the team too slow and ultimately punchless when it mattered most. Guys like Thornton and Simmonds certainly brought the toughness and leadership, but they were nowhere to be found on the scoresheet in this series. Spezza continues to be a brilliant signing, but the rest of those guys? Hmmmmm...

So was that Dubas, or are there still people in the room screaming traditionalist takes? Something seems very amiss behind the scenes.

Anyway, Bergevin went into this looking like he was in huge trouble and now looks like someone fully vindicated. Don't know how he does it but that guy just has multiple lives. I cannot believe that signing Corey Fucking Perry turned out to be such a coup.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

The vets thing is fascinating, because Perry, Staal and Spezza were all big players in the series. Joe wasn't and Simmonds tired as the series went on. I think it's a good strategy to add these guys as depth, but the Leafs needed someone to bust through and it wasn't them.

I thought Foligno was a big swing and a miss. Cost them a 1st. All he did was fight Perry after the JT injury.

I hope for their sake the Leafs realize they were a JT/Muzzin away from winning, but they need to figure out how to not be so top heavy. The fill-in guys weren't enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
The vets thing is fascinating, because Perry, Staal and Spezza were all big players in the series. Joe wasn't and Simmonds tired as the series went on. I think it's a good strategy to add these guys as depth, but the Leafs needed someone to bust through and it wasn't them.

I thought Foligno was a big swing and a miss. Cost them a 1st. All he did was fight Perry after the JT injury.

I hope for their sake the Leafs realize they were a JT/Muzzin away from winning, but they need to figure out how to not be so top heavy. The fill-in guys weren't enough.

They need some young, cheap hits from their drafts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:32 pm 

There might be something to Bergevin's choice to go with vets who were SC winners vs great players who never did it. You want the right kind of experience to calm the team's nerves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 pm 
OTP Clown

Corey frickin Perry is a really good hockey player.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:02 am 
Big in Japan

The anti-stats rubes are out in full force critiquing the Leafs. That's not what happened here. Arguably the most underrated, underappreciated player from an analytical point of view is none other than Phil Danault, who is literally an elite 5v5 centre. His body of work showed he was capable of shutting down Matthews. With Tavares out and not much depth after that, the top-heavy Leafs suddenly didn't matchup well. But if you only eye tested it or looked at goals, you'd think Danault was a layup against the Rocket Richard champ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
The anti-stats rubes are out in full force critiquing the Leafs. That's not what happened here. Arguably the most underrated, underappreciated player from an analytical point of view is none other than Phil Danault, who is literally an elite 5v5 centre. His body of work showed he was capable of shutting down Matthews. With Tavares out and not much depth after that, the top-heavy Leafs suddenly didn't matchup well. But if you only eye tested it or looked at goals, you'd think Danault was a layup against the Rocket Richard champ.

The narrative on the Leafs is fucking ridiculous. If anything, Dubas's hard shift AWAY from analytics did more harm than anything else.

Danault is an analytics darling, despite not-great production. I agree he's about as good a defensive center as you will ever find in hockey. He has the speed and talent to shut down virtually anyone, and he most certainly did so in this series.

I'm still curious as to what prompted this hard shift in the offseason. I really think the Leafs made themselves a little too slow, which is saying something because the Habs are technically a REALLY slow team, yet they sure didn't look like it.