OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:42 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
Gus in to fix the power play. Kulak out. Merrill still in, am I crazy or has he been lousy? Tentative and getting beat?

:chris18:

I will take Romanov any day over Merril! :chris18:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:51 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Gus in to fix the power play. Kulak out. Merrill still in, am I crazy or has he been lousy? Tentative and getting beat?

Come on Habs - let's make it a series!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Come on Habs - let's make it a series!

This recency bias against Romanov is unreal. He was one of their best defencemen night in night out for most of the season. Merrill came in, Romanov ranked and now he's persona non grata. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs have had a miserable time clearing the zone...so they're scratching the defenceman with the most zone exits in the series in Kulak. This team fundamentally does not understand what defencemen do in 2021.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Habs have had a miserable time clearing the zone...so they're scratching the defenceman with the most zone exits in the series in Kulak. This team fundamentally does not understand what defencemen do in 2021.

A longstanding undervaluation of (mainly offensive) D. Langway to Chelios to Desjardins to McDonaugh to Subban to Sergechev. They keep passing the torch and D-men keep getting burned.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:46 pm 
Big in Japan

BCG wrote:
E.L. wrote:

A longstanding undervaluation of (mainly offensive) D. Langway to Chelios to Desjardins to McDonaugh to Subban to Sergechev. They keep passing the torch and D-men keep getting burned.

It's true. There's gotta be a connection between that and the 20 years or so pre-Letang where Quebec-trained no. 1 defencemen were few and far between. They just weren't keeping pace in the province. Now they're producing guys like Girard, Chabot etc. so it structurally changed in the Q.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:36 pm 

E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's true. There's gotta be a connection between that and the 20 years or so pre-Letang where Quebec-trained no. 1 defencemen were few and far between. They just weren't keeping pace in the province. Now they're producing guys like Girard, Chabot etc. so it structurally changed in the Q.

I got the feeling that after Roy, the Q focused a lot on goaltenders. I would hate to think that Montreal would guide its decisions based on the Q, but Quebec politics is funky.... and not in the Parliament/Bootsy Collins kinda way.

Montreal looks a bit like the start of the season Habs this period. I guess Gustaffson was the key :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:48 pm 
Big in Japan

What I think happens is because the Habs want managers/coaches from Quebec, their candidates ostensibly come from the Q and are informed by what that league is doing.

That's why some people here are intrigued by Tallon: from Rouyn, speaks French, but an NHL guy the last few decades.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
What I think happens is because the Habs want managers/coaches from Quebec, their candidates ostensibly come from the Q and are informed by what that league is doing.

That's why some people here are intrigued by Tallon: from Rouyn, speaks French, but an NHL guy the last few decades.

Oh dear God...Tallon!!!???

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Bergevin's still coming back next season in all likelihood, so we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Anyways, here's the Tremblay/Roy Uber Eats commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFMwULqBsQ&t=30s

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:06 am 
Big in Japan

Habs won in part because no penalties. This is a good 5v5 team. Tatar-Danault-Gallagher, even when they don't score, are an elite 5v5 line. Maybe you keep them together and use other assets to improve on defence.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 am 
King of Men

Congrats to the Habs for making it to Fans!

That was probably the most entertaining game of the series so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:10 pm 

I gotta be honest, I did love that game--just sloppy as all get out and didn't feel like there was a lot of flow.

I find it interesting that, for a team that likes to play with pace, the Leafs sure do have a TON of lousy skaters. They move the puck really well though, so that doesn't really matter.

Speaking of bad skaters, rough, rough, ROUGH outing once again for Rasmus Sandin. He has to know better than to hold onto the puck that long, had all kinds of time and options and let Perry take his head off...he was surrounded by Leafs players too. Also coughed up the puck to Kotkaniemi behind the net that led to the goal. That will likely be overlooked in light of Galchenyuk's supreme brain fart, but if I were Sheldon I'd consider taking him out. He's a legit NHL talent and good depth puckmover, and he has the talent to be a lot more...but right now he ain't gettin' the job done back there.

And while I'm calling out Leafs players, hey $10 Million Dollar Man, you gonna show up anytime soon? Marner's been a nonentity in this series thus far. Meanwhile, Willie Nylander has been phenomenal, playing on that line with Gally and Kerfoot.

Leafs should still win this thing but...been unimpressed with them so far. They should be a lot better than this.

Caufield looked awesome out there all night, he's going to be great for the Habs. Chiarot continues to stink up the joint for them but I guess that doesn't matter a ton.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Anyways, here's the Tremblay/Roy Uber Eats commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFMwULqBsQ&t=30s

Damn...that's insane. I didn't know those two had buried the hatchet. I suppose Roy has had the last laugh ten times over so it ain't like he has anything left to prove.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:55 pm 
King of Men

Yes I agree the French version of that uber eats commercial is much better. Good Stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:17 pm 

What's the little quip Paddy has for Mario at the end there? It's not in the English version.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:13 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
What's the little quip Paddy has for Mario at the end there? It's not in the English version.

Basically Mario says to Roy when he makes it 9-1, Hey Pat, why don't you pull your goalie, he looks frustrated and Roy says, No, I think he's still good for 2 more championships.

I have always found commercials in French are always 10 times funnier than the English ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:19 pm 

Ohhhh shit, nice. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:20 pm 

Lol!!!

That settles it. Mtl should hire Roy as President lol

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 pm 
Big in Japan

BCG wrote:
Lol!!!

That settles it. Mtl should hire Roy as President lol

People skulking in the weeds for Bergevin/Ducharme's jobs should he go down:

Roy, Damphousse, Guy Boucher, Joel Bouchard, Louis Robitaille in Gatineau, Pascal Vincent, Tallon, Darche, Hartley.

What they should do if they want to move on is back up the money truck to Julien BriseBois' house, make him President and let him rebuild the organization top to bottom.

Brisson's name bandied about but would he take his best friend's job?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next