OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: This fucking team...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:51 am 
Big in Japan

I don't get it. The team has 4 goals in 4 playoff games. They haven't scored much in the playoffs for most of Bergevin's tenure.

His two big additions in the offseason were goal scorers: Anderson and Toffoli. Both mostly shutout in the series.

The defence is laughably one dimensional. Petry is clearly hurt and that's completely grounded their exit game.

Bergevin keeps adding good players, but the team vision is so deeply flawed. Everytime he adds one good guy he seems to not value another asset or adds a detrimental piece.

Suzuki had a good season, but Kotkaniemi struggled and developing these guys seemed to go on the back burner with the coaching swap.

Infuriating series to watch because the Habs had chances in Game 3 and 4, kept it tight for a while, but they couldn't score to save their lives.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs between 20-22: Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Romanov, Ylonen, Poehling, Primeau, Norlinder, Struble, Harris
Habs at 19: Guhle, Tuch, Farrell, Mysak

I think you have the makings of a good team there. I don't think you need to rebuild, because you've already done a lot of the heavy lifting, but you also can't cut from this group to improve the current squad, it's just not worth it. Be competitive in the short term, but long-term moves need to be made with this group in mind. They won't be able to carry a team for another 4-5 years, so if you keep adding assets for that eventuality, I think you'll be in good shape.

But it's a long time, and I know how impatient the market gets.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

For a "gritty" team, they sure are getting pushed around by the Leafs. Andrew Berkshire has been absolutely ROASTING Chiarot, who doesn't look terrible from what I've seen, but he's also not doing a ton to slow down the Leafs attack. Also, Bergevin stressed that he went out and got guys who are supposed to fight through the clutching and grabbing that takes place in the postseason, but they're not doing that.

There's depth, there's talent, but there's just no gamebreaking superstar here. If we could turn the clock back in net about 7-10 years, that would be Price, but he's well into his thirties and he ain't really the guy anymore. Suzuki absolutely would be that guy if he were a little bigger and/or a little faster. This is the problem with spending the last seven years not tanking but not going for it either. This team is merely...good.

I don't get what Bergevin is trying to do. I kinda see it but if he was gonna go FULL GRIT, you would think he would've added a ton of size up front. There's a lot of little guys running around amongst the forwards, and a big, slow defense behind them. I feel like that's the worst possible combination in today's NHL.

Can't remember if I posted this but someone online kinda nailed it--Bergevin is too in love with defensemen who played like him and Luke Richardson did back in the day.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
For a "gritty" team, they sure are getting pushed around by the Leafs. Andrew Berkshire has been absolutely ROASTING Chiarot, who doesn't look terrible from what I've seen, but he's also not doing a ton to slow down the Leafs attack. Also, Bergevin stressed that he went out and got guys who are supposed to fight through the clutching and grabbing that takes place in the postseason, but they're not doing that.

There's depth, there's talent, but there's just no gamebreaking superstar here. If we could turn the clock back in net about 7-10 years, that would be Price, but he's well into his thirties and he ain't really the guy anymore. Suzuki absolutely would be that guy if he were a little bigger and/or a little faster. This is the problem with spending the last seven years not tanking but not going for it either. This team is merely...good.

I don't get what Bergevin is trying to do. I kinda see it but if he was gonna go FULL GRIT, you would think he would've added a ton of size up front. There's a lot of little guys running around amongst the forwards, and a big, slow defense behind them. I feel like that's the worst possible combination in today's NHL.

Can't remember if I posted this but someone online kinda nailed it--Bergevin is too in love with defensemen who played like him and Luke Richardson did back in the day.

100%. And this is why, even though I think Bergevin has done some good moves and is by no means a bad GM, he has some fatal flaws in his thinking that will forever prevent this team from moving forward under his stewardship. The defence is of a bygone era. They're caught in between young and old, fast and slow. Leafs are playing at half speed and smoking them. It's embarrassing to watch.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I kinda wish this old-school approach would work, just because I feel there are plenty of different ways to build a team. I don't want a pure copycat league where every fucking team does the same exact thing like the NFL. Also, there's a ton of intriguing players on this roster. Strangely, the one coach I would think could make it all work done got fired.

I still think Roy should be the next coach. Hopefully he learned from his previous NHL coaching stint as to what not to do with the players (remember Paddy, the players will come off the ice to change when they're ready, you don't need to whistle at them). He'd be able to get a lot out of this lineup but he'd also insist Bergevin go out and infuse the blueline with more skill.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:58 am 
Big in Japan

This fucking team...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 am 
Big in Japan

The 2021 Montreal Canadiens have reached the conference finals. Just like we all predicted...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
The 2021 Montreal Canadiens have reached the conference finals. Just like we all predicted...
I actually predicted a SCF birth back for the Habs in January on this very thread.
Quote:
Looking good. Cue the SCF folks....

The Habs are playoff built. The big tip off was the acquisition of Corey Perry in the off season. They create a fortress around Carey Price with an imposing big D corps. If a teams gets through the D, well then they have Price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

That pass by Caufield was an absolute bullet and Toffoli managed to tee it up. The ability of the players in this league to get those one-timers off and on net from passes that hard...man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:57 am 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I actually predicted a SCF birth back for the Habs in January on this very thread.
Quote:

The Habs are playoff built. The big tip off was the acquisition of Corey Perry in the off season. They create a fortress around Carey Price with an imposing big D corps. If a teams gets through the D, well then they have Price.

Go down to Vegas! You're riding a hot hand!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Go down to Vegas! You're riding a hot hand!
Of course I bet a total of $0 dollars on it. I suppose it would be nice to see Alex Burrows win a Cup and of course there's Vancouver born Carey Price. Gotta try and keep the peace on the home front but if I hear another Toffoli razz, I might implode. :x

The Habs are the perfectly built team to pull off the Canucks game plan from last years playoff against the Knights (Demko), because of Price and that D. Get in their heads and get them off their game. Then just sit back and watch the offence dry up. Almost worked. Not so sure about their chances versus the Avs but hea, stranger things have happened, like the Habs coming back from being down 3-1 versus the Leafs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Hahahahahahaha: https://thebeaverton.com/2021/06/5-ways ... good-team/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 pm 
Big in Japan

The deeper we get into this, the clearer it becomes someone will gladly pay Danault what he wants and the Habs should just pay up, regardless of what fans think about his offence. Plus, a QCer who actually likes being here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:12 am 

E.L. wrote:
The deeper we get into this, the clearer it becomes someone will gladly pay Danault what he wants and the Habs should just pay up, regardless of what fans think about his offence. Plus, a QCer who actually likes being here!

I agree. The effect of losing of Danault's talent, avoiding another team getting him, and that he's a pizza eating cool hand luke wrt to Montreal media Quebecker? Sign him up.

What was the offer on the table? 5M over 6yrs?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:39 pm 
Big in Japan

BCG wrote:

That's the reported amount he turned down. Bumped up to 5.5 now? 6M?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't bump it up given his offensive output. But it would also be based on what other offers might be e.g. I think the TML would do well to get him (unless he's a Josh Gorges :) ), but I doubt they could offer him much more that 5M under their capmayhem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 pm 
Big in Japan

BCG wrote:
E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't bump it up given his offensive output. But it would also be based on what other offers might be e.g. I think the TML would do well to get him (unless he's a Josh Gorges :) ), but I doubt they could offer him much more that 5M under their capmayhem.

That's where more years might come in. Keep the AAV reasonable but give him an extra year or two or three.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 pm 

E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:
E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:

That's where more years might come in. Keep the AAV reasonable but give him an extra year or two or three.

I would be aok with a max length contract for Danault. He should start a pizza chain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Nick Suzuki has 20 points in 26 playoff games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nick Suzuki has 20 points in 26 playoff games.

He's doing what he did in Juniors. I think in the one year, his team when down 3-1 in two or maybe three of the series, and Suzuki just took over. IIRC, he was close to 2pts/game in the playoffs.

To do something similar in the NHL under these circumstances? Just fucking incredible. I think I read that he has a similar production to Crosby in the playoffs at this age - or maybe even better?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 60  Next