OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: This fucking team...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Price out with a concussion. Is he ever going to be fully healthy ever again?

I was just thinking the same thing. He really hasn't been fully healthy for a few years now, nor as dominant.

That is a big contract to carry going on and he isn't getting any younger at 33.

Today's press conference was very much about Price and Weber's combined 18M hit and what they bring in 2021.

I don't think this team can win with all that money devoted to them. Bergevin will absolutely go down with that ship.

Throw in the $10M cap hit of Drouin and Byron and the defensive minded defense corps.... Houston... we have a problem. I understand the signings of Byron and Price. But Drouin and Weber - I'm going to attribute to Bergevin's "fox hole" mentality, at best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am 
Big in Japan

Weber responded to the critics last night. Looked great pushing around Draisaitl. It doesn't make sense on paper, but Weber needs Chiarot as his partner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Weber responded to the critics last night. Looked great pushing around Draisaitl. It doesn't make sense on paper, but Weber needs Chiarot as his partner.

He's an old guy playing a now young man's game. I think he'll have some games where he looks like the old Mountain Man, but they'll probably decrease in frequency each season.

I just hope they load management his butt (and Price) for any future playoff rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 am 
Big in Japan

Mike Kelly nailed it: Habs score all their goals off the rush 5v5. If you're a boring Sutter team like Calgary, all you do is load up the neutral zone and the Habs can't score. Easy peasy, especially with their main drive the net guy out.

So predictable, so sad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Quote wrote:
Are the Habs going to be able to hold onto their playoff spot here? I mean, I know Gallagher is out but geesh!
One must be counting the minutes until Gallagher is back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
Quote wrote:
Are the Habs going to be able to hold onto their playoff spot here? I mean, I know Gallagher is out but geesh!
One must be counting the minutes until Gallagher is back.

Supposed to be six weeks, but he didn't have surgery and thumbs are overrated. He'll tape it up and magically be ready. Habs players have a weird tendency to bounce back really quickly, must be that awesome doctoring...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Thumbs are overrated!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Patrick Roy's new agents today announced he's looking into possibly leaving his Q team for NHL coaching/GM work. A telltale sign Bergevin's job is in jeopardy.

Not sure they're pals given they own(ed) rival Q teams, but I could totally see a Joel Bouchard/Roy scenario being cooked up as the alternative to Bergevin. They would certainly bring a lot of passion to the gig, which I think would satisfy fans tired to Bergevin/Price/Weber shrugging through every press conference. Not that I don't think they lack passion, but they're more introverted than Roy/Joel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:31 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Roy is a little too enamored with size much like Bergevin, but he at least realizes you have to have skill on the back end. One of the first things he did after taking over in Colorado was to try and get some semblance of puck skill on a blueline that prominently featured Jan Hejda and Ryan O’Byrne. There’s a lot in the current makeup of the team he’d really like. But he most definitely would not leave Romanov on the back burner.

Still, I’d have some concerns. His defensive system was horribly antiquated and easily neutralized. The whole thing where he’d whistle for players to get to the bench apparently wore thin REAL fast with the players. And there were just times I didn’t think he handled certain situations properly. Hopefully he has learned and grown from the experience, because I’ve always wanted him to get another shot. Besides, love him or hate him he’s always been a fascinating personality.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Jonathan Drouin takes an indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons. Coach basically said this grind has been hard and unprecedented. Not surprised guys aren't feeling well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Jonathan Drouin takes an indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons. Coach basically said this grind has been hard and unprecedented. Not surprised guys aren't feeling well.

Much needed salary cap relief with not much of a loss in team production. I hope Drouin makes it back and actually performs well in the playoffs - if only to trade him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:14 pm 

Danault said in a French interview that it's way harder for a Quebecois player in Montreal because the scrutiny gets heaped on.

This is the reason why guys like Lecavalier and Briere steered well clear of their hometown team in free agency.

He's definitely gonzo this offseason, one way or another. Not sure why he's even still there.

I suppose the silver lining here is that this allows Cole Caufield to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Agreed about Drouin likely needing a fresh start, regardless of what we can infer from what the coach and Danault said. They're otherwise keeping it a private matter so I won't try to speculate.

I think Drouin came in with a lot of confidence that he could be the man in Montreal and take on that pressure, but after a few years of injuries and stalled development, I don't think he's the player he thought he would be. He goal scoring struggles will cast a pall on his growth, but I actually thought he started the season strongly and had become a responsible secondary offensive weapon, which at his salary cap hit is A-OK. But everyone always wanted more from him, including Drouin himself, and I think things came to ahead this season under the pandemic microscope.

It's too bad, another gars de chez nous not panning out, but there's a reason it keeps happening. Danault, on the other hand, seems capable of withstanding the pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 pm 

I tend to get irritated whenever his name comes up because there's still a relatively sizable sect of Avs fans pining away for him "BeCauSE hE PlAyEd wITh MaCKInnOn!!1!!!"

He's not the superstar you'd expect to see with a third overall pick, but he's definitely a talented playmaking winger more in the vein of a guy like, say, Brandon Saad.

I do hope whatever it is that it gets resolved and he's allowed to enjoy his career in whatever capacity and/or location afforded him. I just think Bergevin waited too long to move on from him when IMO he just never looked like he was a good fit. It's speculation and nothing more but I feel part of that was Bergevin's steadfast refusal to look like he lost the Sergachev trade that prompted him to hold onto the player when he probably should've just moved him for a decent return.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I do hope whatever it is that it gets resolved and he's allowed to enjoy his career in whatever capacity and/or location afforded him. I just think Bergevin waited too long to move on from him when IMO he just never looked like he was a good fit. It's speculation and nothing more but I feel part of that was Bergevin's steadfast refusal to look like he lost the Sergachev trade that prompted him to hold onto the player when he probably should've just moved him for a decent return.

The Drouin trade was a definite miss by Bergevin, not because Drouin didn't necessarily reach his potential, because he's a useful player, but to slice your room up to get Weber and then trade away the younger LD he desperately needed was such a poor allocation of resources.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:59 am 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

The Drouin trade was a definite miss by Bergevin, not because Drouin didn't necessarily reach his potential, because he's a useful player, but to slice your room up to get Weber and then trade away the younger LD he desperately needed was such a poor allocation of resources.

Exactly.

Drouin is a great secondary piece for $3-4M, but his stubborn belief that he is greater than that (plus Bergevin being duped by him and Stevie Y) is probably a factor in his lack of development and performance. I don't blame "the Montreal pressure cooker" for the pressure put on Drouin. He brought that on and Bergevin added coal to the fire. The fans rightfully see a player supposedly worth Sergechev and top salary, and have corresponding expectations.

JK, NS, and CC won't be hitting their primes until 3-4 years, around the time Price and Weber get off the books... I wonder if that's when Montreal's real window of opportunity will hit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 pm 
Big in Japan

I totally understand wanting to move on from the current general manager this offseason, but I'm also worried about the Habs doing that thing they always do and once again refusing to do a proper rebuild in favour of short term fixes. In this case, I specifically mean not letting Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Romanov develop into the stars we think they can become. It's the only path to success, as slow as it may be.

I worry a new regime involving Roy/Hartley would be all about a short term fix. Bouchard would be a sign of confidence in the young guns he helped mold.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I totally understand wanting to move on from the current general manager this offseason, but I'm also worried about the Habs doing that thing they always do and once again refusing to do a proper rebuild in favour of short term fixes. In this case, I specifically mean not letting Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Romanov develop into the stars we think they can become. It's the only path to success, as slow as it may be.

I worry a new regime involving Roy/Hartley would be all about a short term fix. Bouchard would be a sign of confidence in the young guns he helped mold.

They've done a slow boil for seven years now. I don't think you can abruptly blow it up and try a proper rebuild at this point. Certainly not while the cap remains flat, there's no way to move the contracts that need to be moved without actually paying someone to take them off your hands.

A philosophical change could do wonders, even if it's just one or two years before it comes crashing down. The Avs under Sacco and Sherman had become a staid, lifeless dump-and-chase club and the players expressed just how much they detested it in later interviews. Roy and Sakic were a breath of fresh air--Roy immediately sent the message to start fresh and it worked immediately. Once Erik Johnson had the shackles taken off he became the dynamic offensive force he never could be before in STL or COL under Sacco. Roy recognized there needed to be more offensive punch on the back end so they brought in Andre Benoit and Nick Holden, and while those are not exactly great players, they did what was asked of them. Yes, it wasn't sustainable and things fell apart for Roy later, but for a little while the mere change in philosophy made them a, ahem, Juggernaut. And yes, obviously goaltending did a LOT of the heavy lifting, but it ain't like they were just winning games 1-0 every night. The team looked good--they just failed to build off of it for a number of reasons.

Anyway, you get a guy who actually wants to utilize skill and not just grind teams to a pulp I think you'll see more out of this lineup. Someone who doesn't treat Romanov like an annoying afterthought, someone who doesn't think Ben Chiarot should be a featured defenseman, CERTAINLY not Joel fucking Edmundson. Roy IMO would be the perfect guy because he likes offensive creativity, he's not overly stodgy when it comes to structure, but he also likes old-school defenders who block shots and hit a lot. If there's anyone who could get more out of the present makeup of the team, it's him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

They've done a slow boil for seven years now. I don't think you can abruptly blow it up and try a proper rebuild at this point. Certainly not while the cap remains flat, there's no way to move the contracts that need to be moved without actually paying someone to take them off your hands.

A philosophical change could do wonders, even if it's just one or two years before it comes crashing down. The Avs under Sacco and Sherman had become a staid, lifeless dump-and-chase club and the players expressed just how much they detested it in later interviews. Roy and Sakic were a breath of fresh air--Roy immediately sent the message to start fresh and it worked immediately. Once Erik Johnson had the shackles taken off he became the dynamic offensive force he never could be before in STL or COL under Sacco. Roy recognized there needed to be more offensive punch on the back end so they brought in Andre Benoit and Nick Holden, and while those are not exactly great players, they did what was asked of them. Yes, it wasn't sustainable and things fell apart for Roy later, but for a little while the mere change in philosophy made them a, ahem, Juggernaut. And yes, obviously goaltending did a LOT of the heavy lifting, but it ain't like they were just winning games 1-0 every night. The team looked good--they just failed to build off of it for a number of reasons.

Anyway, you get a guy who actually wants to utilize skill and not just grind teams to a pulp I think you'll see more out of this lineup. Someone who doesn't treat Romanov like an annoying afterthought, someone who doesn't think Ben Chiarot should be a featured defenseman, CERTAINLY not Joel fucking Edmundson. Roy IMO would be the perfect guy because he likes offensive creativity, he's not overly stodgy when it comes to structure, but he also likes old-school defenders who block shots and hit a lot. If there's anyone who could get more out of the present makeup of the team, it's him.

I think if Patrick Roy and Joel Bouchard, both Q team owners past and present, like each other and want to go coach/GM, I'm in favour.

I don't think the Habs need a full rebuild, but they need to be patient with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Romanov and their long-term guys Anderson and Gallagher. They keep trying to build around the two old guys on the payroll, but it's time to build around the young forwards.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Weber goes down (or more likely, finally accumulated enough injuries that he couldn't keep going) and the Habs win two gutsy comeback victories. Caufield scored an OT winner against the Sens.

Like Malkin when Crosby goes down, Petry steps it up when Weber is hurt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next