OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: This fucking team...
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
On the injury front: Tatar and Byron are back.

Gallagher and Price should be back for game 1.

Danault dunno, Drouin don't ask.

What about Weber? Is his injury that bad that he won't be back for the playoffs?

Also, what's up with Merrill? was again a -2 last night.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

What about Weber? Is his injury that bad that he won't be back for the playoffs?

Weber will be back. Merrill just hasn't been a fit at all. Probably a system defenceman that did well elsewhere with his meagre skillset but it hasn't translated here.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Kinda funny how Bergevin went out and got two extremes on the defensive/offensive scale in Merrill and Gustafsson. The former has no offense to speak of, the latter no defense. Ne'er the two shall meet.

I just...don't understand what Bergevin is trying to accomplish a lot of the time. You lose Mete on waivers for nothing (and get surly with reporters when they call you out on it) and then have to give up resources to fill the roster spot with lesser players.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Weber will be back. Merrill just hasn't been a fit at all. Probably a system defenceman that did well elsewhere with his meagre skillset but it hasn't translated here.

Ducharme now says that its almost 100% certain that all will be back for the playoffs, except Drouin, which I'm happy as CC can continue to shine.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs will face the Leafs in round one. BRING. IT. ON.

Suzuki and Caufield showed instant chemistry and why not, they're the two most elite offensive talents on the team. I say keep them with Toffoli.

That leaves Anderson-Kotkaniemi-Armia/Perry. How's that for big bodied?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 am 
Big in Japan

I'm torn about this year's Habs. Sadistic schedule after canning the coach means they were surrounded by chaos most of the time. Everyone was hurt and they never practiced under the new coach. But I like most of the players. They're lacking that elite guy at the top who stirs the drink, but I think Suzuki is close.

They've added size and youth. Their two best goal scorers are the new guys Toffoli and Anderson.

They all need to stay healthy, but the top 6 has size (Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson) and skating (Petry, Romanov, Kulak) to be a decent unit as a whole.

If Price and Weber don't drag this team down, I think they can make noise against the Leafs.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Suzuki and Caufield showed instant chemistry and why not, they're the two most elite offensive talents on the team. I say keep them with Toffoli.

This is a case where twitter doesn't represent reality very much. There might not be a huge rivalry between the Leafs and Habs, but this series will be an absolute shit show on twitter.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

This is a case where twitter doesn't represent reality very much. There might not be a huge rivalry between the Leafs and Habs, but this series will be an absolute shit show on twitter.

Had a Toronto pal message me saying "Josh Anderson doesn't have as much of an impact as Josh Anderson thinks he does." Anderson's gonna hit Rielly again and all hell is going to break loose. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm 
Big in Japan

No Kotkaniemi, Caufield or Romanov in game one. I think that'll last, oh, one game. The vets are done but the Habs need to see that they're done first.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 pm 

Ducharme is a shitty coach. But he's doing it precisely how Bergevin wants him to do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:46 pm 

E.L. wrote:
No Kotkaniemi, Caufield or Romanov in game one. I think that'll last, oh, one game. The vets are done but the Habs need to see that they're done first.

Exactly my thought. They lack scoring and sit out a guy who scores everywhere he goes. Habs are obviously going for muscle in this series as they feel their only chance to win is physicality.

Yes, I too say one game. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 pm 

The other one I don't get is sitting Romanov, and have John friken Merril come in!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:19 pm 

I don't mind playing the vets in game one. It gives Caufield a chance to observe - like they did in the regular season, and takes the pressure off a little bit. I figure it would be easier to turn Romanov and Kotkaniemi when Staal and Merril suck, rather than throw them straight into the fire and risk their confidence further. It's a tough call, for sure, but I think this is the safer move and best move in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:26 pm 

BCG wrote:
I don't mind playing the vets in game one. It gives Caufield a chance to observe - like they did in the regular season, and takes the pressure off a little bit. I figure it would be easier to turn Romanov and Kotkaniemi when Staal and Merril suck, rather than throw them straight into the fire and risk their confidence further. It's a tough call, for sure, but I think this is the safer move and best move in the long run.

But ya gotta take them ALL out? That just doesn't make any sense to me. They're gonna try and just grind it out which...I suppose they figure is the only way they'll beat them. It feels too much like the same strategy Team USA tried against a vastly superior Canadian team. And of course, it failed miserably.

BTW seeing Carey Price in a Rocket jersey was all kinds of weird. He didn't look like he did that great either, but...I suppose that wasn't really the point.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:51 am 
King of the One-Liner

All the young guys sitting is most likely due to Leafs having last change to start. Though I would still be playing Caufield if it was up to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:13 pm 
King of Men

What do you guys make of all these Conditioning stints down in the AHL recently....Price, Gallagher, Anderson? I don't remember this being a thing but with the layoffs I guess it makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:17 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
What do you guys make of all these Conditioning stints down in the AHL recently....Price, Gallagher, Anderson? I don't remember this being a thing but with the layoffs I guess it makes sense.

It was a little strange to see Price and Gallagher play for Laval, but my guess is they wanted some in-game reps before the playoffs. They both missed a lot of time.

The week off is something the Habs needed. They played 5 games in 8 nights for two months. They were gassed.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:23 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

It was a little strange to see Price and Gallagher play for Laval, but my guess is they wanted some in-game reps before the playoffs. They both missed a lot of time.

The week off is something the Habs needed. They played 5 games in 8 nights for two months. They were gassed.
How'd did they do? Did they light it up?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:22 pm 

I like continuity in management over this "ditch the guy" approach. But this series with the Leafs has highlighted the fact that Bergevin's inability to appreciate offensive defensemen makes him a liability.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:48 pm 
Big in Japan

I miss Alex Galchenyuk. :nar:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next