OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Cayden Primeau makes his NHL debut tonight! No pressure kid, just a struggling team in front of you and Nate McKinnon firing pucks your way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Dammit, you beat me to it. I had a GDT entitled: "Primeau Nocta". I'll just post the contents in here because who doesn't love a clip from The Office?

20-year-old Cayden Primeau (son of Bosc's favorite player, Keith) gets his first career NHL start against the Colorado Avalanche.

By all accounts the Avs should have a damn-near-healthy lineup with both Landeskog and Burakovsky returning for this one. Maybe now Kadri will get some worthwhile linemates. I'm actually curious to see if he and Landy will work well together and absolutely terrorize the opposition on the forecheck.

Makar had a not-stellar game against the Leafs. They took special care to go after him and not allow him much space, and they're one of the few teams fast enough to accomplish that. I'm guessing Julien will be trying something similar.

Nikita Zadorov has undergone, as noted by DNVR sportswriter Evan Rawal, an Anton Volchenkov-like metamorphosis and become the team's top shutdown guy. Might be interesting to see how they deploy him as the Habs actually have a more balanced lineup. There's no one or two guys to focus on there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Adrian Dater of all people was on Montreal sports radio this morning. In addition to saying "you know" about 8 million times, he sounded less than enthused about going after Hall. Felt like the top two lines were settled and liked the newfound young defensive depth.

Made the locals happy and said a bunch of nice things about Girard. Sometimes it's hard to know the impact of a player based on statline, and Girard's point totals don't tell the whole story. Sounds like he's an integral puckmoving piece for the Lanche.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:47 pm 

If I were Bednar, if indeed both Burakovsky and Landeskog are heading into the lineup, there's no question of who I take out. T.J. Tynan is definitely a good AHL player and fringe NHL guy who has done okay at the top level but really should be sent back down. Former 10th overall pick in 2016, Tyson Jost, is well on his way out of Colorado. They may fear hurting what little trade value they have by stowing him in the press box but I really don't think they should be scratching Logan O'Connor, who's proven to be much better than Jost in a depth role.

Guessing the lineup will be something like this (IF Jost is the other HS):

Donskoi - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Calvert - Bellemare - Nichushkin
Nieto - Compher - O'Connor

Zadorov - Girard
Graves - Makar
Rosen - Cole

Francouz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Adrian Dater of all people was on Montreal sports radio this morning. In addition to saying "you know" about 8 million times, he sounded less than enthused about going after Hall. Felt like the top two lines were settled and liked the newfound young defensive depth.

Made the locals happy and said a bunch of nice things about Girard. Sometimes it's hard to know the impact of a player based on statline, and Girard's point totals don't tell the whole story. Sounds like he's an integral puckmoving piece for the Lanche.

He is not the best live interview. :lol:

I think he remembers when the Avs went after Theo Fleury and gave the Flames their choice between the Avs' two best defensive prospects at the time: Martin Skoula and Robyn Regehr. Skoula had the flashier skill set but Regehr was the steadier stay-at-home guy. Most here know how that turned out. Of all Pierre Lacroix's trades that one was definitely the worst. Regehr would go on to play over 1,000 NHL games, while Skoula ended up being a massive disappointment. And of course, Fleury would only play 23 games for the Avs and cites that trade as the event in his life where his substance abuse issues spiraled out of control. All in all, I bet Pierre would like that one back, even though it was really awesome to have Theo frickin' Fleury in an Avs jersey playing alongside Joe Sakic.

Similar situation now. Bowen Byram is obviously the more hyped, flashier defensive prospect, while Conor Timmins is expected to be a workhorse-type who can play in all situations. Devils have been thoroughly scouting the Avs at all levels so a lot of people think Shero is targeting Timmins, who of course also missed over a year's worth of hockey due to concussion issues. I say no to moving EITHER of those guys for a friggin' rental, no matter how good. I want the Avs to aim for some lower-tier guys. They don't have to make the biggest splash, just find something the further bolster the depth, which has been a godsend thus far.

As for Sammy, yeah, he's one of those odd ducks--an elite-level puckmoving defenseman who probably won't wow people with his offensive totals. He's great at moving the puck up-ice, his passing is quite good, but his shot/finishing ability is not quite at the level of those other skills. But the Avs know his worth, which is why they gave him a hefty extension already. In a lot of ways he embodies the direction the NHL is going, moving away from slow shot-blockers and toward smaller, speedier puckmovers. He's a fan-favorite already and will be anchoring the blueline for a good, long time. It's super-fun when Bednar rolls both him and Makar out there as a pairing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
while Skoula ended up being a massive disappointment.

Ahh, Skoula.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:51 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Ahh, Skoula.

:lol:

I kinda feel bad ragging on the guy because by all accounts he was super-cool with the fans. Owned a home in Morrison (where Red Rocks is) and used to frequent some of the local establishments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 pm 

Oh for fuck's sake...

No sooner do Burakovsky and Landeskog get back in does fucking Kadri have to sit out tonight. I haven't read what it is. :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Throw the book at Zadorov!!!

:doom: :doom:
:doom: :viking: :viking: :doom: :doom:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:33 pm 
King of Men

explain please? Zadorov is a guy that plays on the edge. IMO an old school player. :yayyy:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:03 am 

Z did this "slew-knee" move on Kotkaniemi that dumped him HARD on his head. Even I gotta admit it warrants a look from DOPS. But...is there a rule against a slew-knee?

https://twitter.com/NHLSafetyMod/status ... 1822911488

THAT SAID, I don't think he meant to hurt the kid. Just wanted to dump him down and put a little too much oomph in it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:14 am 

As for the Habs, this was easily the most physical game the Avs have had in a while. They knocked a lot of top guys off their game tonight.

Domi looked FAST out there, had a few decent chances, but wasn't exactly dominant.

Jordan Weal got the living crap beat out of him by the Avs. Cale Makar crushed him in the corner and then hustled the puck out of the zone the long way around. Zadorov also mashed him at least once. Still, he wasn't bad.

I was yelling at Petry "SHUT UP JEFF" when he complained about being called for a blatant hold. He also let Landeskog turnstile him for the game's second goal.

As for the kid, he was good. The goal he gave up to Landeskog wasn't exactly great, but I didn't see anything else weak. He held up well against the Avs power play, which admittedly was a little slow tonight and settled too much for perimeter stuff.

Avs also scored their 2nd SHG in as many games. Not much Keith's kid could've done about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:24 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Was that hit a bit late? Tough night for Les Habitants all around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Z did this "slew-knee" move on Kotkaniemi that dumped him HARD on his head. Even I gotta admit it warrants a look from DOPS. But...is there a rule against a slew-knee?

https://twitter.com/NHLSafetyMod/status ... 1822911488

THAT SAID, I don't think he meant to hurt the kid. Just wanted to dump him down and put a little too much oomph in it.

Yep, after watching the clip several times even I gotta admit that was sketchy (even with a 50 pound weight advantage)...but its hockey and he is a very big man that plays with an "edge".....but I guess if you want to stop that shit you fine him and tell him its dirty. Jeez...going to be no hitting at all soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am 
Big in Japan

I'm just mad about the result. It sucks that Kotkaniemi got a concussion. It was more of a weird hit than a dirty one.

Makar also wallpapered Weal at one point then effortlessly skated the puck out of the zone. He can fly.

Weal and Cousins are a problem for me. Decent pluggers, but they were advertised as players with a bit of an edge, bit of offence and I haven't really seen the former.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 pm 

Here's the hit on Weal Erik was talking about.

https://twitter.com/jtbourne/status/120 ... 7918891008

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm 

Also, Renaud Lavoie says there will be no hearing for Zadorov.