OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

It's become quite clear that 80% of NHL management teams don't know what the hell they are doing. Was reading somewhere that most NHL scouting draft lists are like max 100 players and most of them don't even get drafted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
It's become quite clear that 80% of NHL management teams don't know what the hell they are doing. Was reading somewhere that most NHL scouting draft lists are like max 100 players and most of them don't even get drafted.

Yeah, this is an industry that's still mostly about trusting one's gut.

This feels like a gut deal, but also just one where two problem players got traded for each other. Arizona was tired of Domi not scoring, Montreal was tired of Galchenyuk not being the 1C of their dreams. If Domi's passing prowess can turn a Lehkonen or Hudon into a 20 goal man, the Habs will basically come out relatively even. But they still don't have a centre, and the one you drafted at 3rd overall was completely mishandled from day one. But after watching Eller evolve into a complete player in Washington, I have a bad feeling about Galchenyuk running wild in Glendale. If he plays with Keller or someone with jam, I could see him get 60 points. He's got an elite shot.

Domi has speed and playmaking skills, but without two new centres, he's just a 9 goal winger on a team already starved for offence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:00 pm 
OTP Historian

People were suggesting that some industry people are enamoured with Max because of his last name and bloodlines. Really? That's the fucking player that would raise the perception of him? And at the same time people said before that William Nylander fell because of the perception of his Dad as being on the soft side. The venn diagram of those two groups of people is a perfect single fucking circle, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
People were suggesting that some industry people are enamoured with Max because of his last name and bloodlines. Really? That's the fucking player that would raise the perception of him? And at the same time people said before that William Nylander fell because of the perception of his Dad as being on the soft side. The venn diagram of those two groups of people is a perfect single fucking circle, that's for sure.

Bergevin talked about how Domi wanted to play in a big market and wanted to play in a city like Montreal. I have no doubt that impression comes from the fact that Tie played in Toronto.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Quote:
"His dad played in a hockey market, too. That should help." -Marc Bergevin on Max Domi

Quote:
Last I checked Galchenyuk's father played for Dynamo Moscow and SKA St Petersburg... Also a few World Juniors tourneys and the Olympics.

But nobody cares about hockey in those places. Also this point is amazingly stupid.

https://twitter.com/SteveBurtch/status/ ... 2971638784

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm 
Big in Japan

TVA's Renaud Lavoie, who's usually a solid insider but has been sipping the company kool-aid a bit too much lately, did a weird interview with the NHL rights holder where he admitted the Drouin trade was a precursor to a trade for a centre that fell through, leaving Bergevin with no choice but to put Drouin at centre. Once again, the Domi trade has been touted as the first of many moves this offseason, including one to finally acquire that elusive number one centre. Unfortunately, history has indicated Bergevin counts his chickens before they've hatched. Sometimes I feel other GM's can so easily telegraph his moves that they might pull the rug from under him again.

Anyways, more people in the know are guaranteeing Pacioretty will be dealt this offseason. That would be really sad to me -- a true indication that the team is a jumbled together mess with no vision.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Just occurred to me the Habs traded Galchenyuk and Pacioretty this offseason and only got 2 LW's in return in the short-term. How is that even possible?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 am 

Bergevin had no leverage with those moves. What remains striking to me is that nobody seems to want to play in Montreal right now. Must be a mess internally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:08 am 

Bergevin had no leverage with those moves. What remains striking to me is that nobody seems to want to play in Montreal right now. Must be a mess internally.

Here's the thing though, he went out of his way to ruin his leverage with those moves. He put both in positions to fail and then slagged them when they did just that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Here's the thing though, he went out of his way to ruin his leverage with those moves. He put both in positions to fail and then slagged them when they did just that.
Agree. Don't understand why he didn't make at least the Patches move at the trade deadline. Analysis paralysis?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 am 

Agree. Don't understand why he didn't make at least the Patches move at the trade deadline. Analysis paralysis?

Yeah, as Erik has said before, he just waits too long before pulling the trigger. He's somehow both too conservative and too impetuous at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 am 
OTP Clown

At that time players like Suzuki were not in the table to be had...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:49 am 
Big in Japan

So here's something funny, the Habs are giving Domi the shot they weren't willing to give Galchenyuk: Max will be playing centre in camp.

Makes sense, though. With Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki coming soon, this year's centres are placeholders. Drouin is their best forward and shouldn't be jerked around the lineup. Domi, on the other hand, can be moved around.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:50 pm 
Big in Japan

I knew this trade would come back to haunt the Habs eventually!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:42 pm 

Lol

Crazy that Galchenyuk became Anderson... that's some shuffling and dealing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:59 pm 
Big in Japan

BCG wrote:
Lol

Turning a pending UFA to 8 years of Anderson is impressive, but how are we going to feel about Anderson over the course of that deal? Love the dude's game on paper but my goodness does he miss a lot of chances.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
BCG wrote:
Lol

Turning a pending UFA to 8 years of Anderson is impressive, but how are we going to feel about Anderson over the course of that deal? Love the dude's game on paper but my goodness does he miss a lot of chances.

I have no idea if this is true but I saw somewhere that he needs room to get his speed going and pretty much just scores on the rush.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:49 am 
OTP Historian

BCG wrote:

:lol: