OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Pleks has lost a step and it's looking more and more like he won't get it back.

CJ has implemented a new system called "fighting for the puck." Habs aren't sitting back for the first time in a decade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Andrighetto is gone. Never panned out as a top-6, not big or effective enough to be a checker.

Carr hasn't built upon his promising audition last year. He's the new Andrighetto 'tweener type.

McCarron is getting a decent audition, but they've sapped out the promise of his big game by turning him into a timid board checker. Hoping CJ lets him run around a bit in open ice.

De La Rose is in purgatory. Doing everything defensively and being asked to provide offence without any real support. I'd go back to Sweden if I were him.

Another year of Lefebvre and the AHL staff ruining the Habs' few prospects. This idea that you can never be too ready for the NHL is bullshit: Keeping a player down in the AHL and forcing them to play a stifling system that emulates the NHL doesn't work. Habs have yet to develop a single player that way since Bergevin took over. NOT ONE. It's insanity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Another year of Lefebvre and the AHL staff ruining the Habs' few prospects. This idea that you can never be too ready for the NHL is bullshit: Keeping a player down in the AHL and forcing them to play a stifling system that emulates the NHL doesn't work. Habs have yet to develop a single player that way since Bergevin took over. NOT ONE. It's insanity.

I feel like the Avs are doing that RIGHT NOW.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 am 
Big in Japan

The big question for Habs fans right now: Will they be able to re-sign Radulov?

TSN 690 this morning said Rad's agent wants 8 years, but clearly we're early in negotiations so take it with a grain of salt.

I think it's pretty clear they need Radulov back -- they have no offence -- and I'd say Alex needs the Habs too, since I'm not sure there's a guaranteed better fit out there. I also think the Habs will make a move for Shipachev.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm 
OTP Clown

Ship a chevy
Serg A chevy...

Chevy heavy team.

I like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:49 am 
Big in Japan

Jordie Benn's actually playing quite well in Montreal. Excellent closing speed; sorta the poor man's Weber.

King, Ott, Martinsen are stiffs, though. Big bodies to placate CJ.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, Martinsen hits and he shoots. That's about it. Slow as all hell. I kinda liked him as a 4th liner though.

And if he doesn't stick in the NHL, the Norwegian NHL contingent goes down by 50%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Radulov has cooled down but the Habs are winning. Still not enough offence to carry them in the playoffs, but they look lightyears ahead of the lost Therrien team from a month or two ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am 
Big in Japan

Habs clinch a playoff berth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs vs. Rags in the first round. My hatred of the Rangers might be enough to get me fully invested in rooting for the Habs. Maybe.

Habs have been on a tear since CJ came aboard. Went from second most penalized team to least penalized overnight. Yup, Therrien was that bad.

Because of that, and the positive contributions from the new robust 4th line, the Habs have a serious chance to go far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Habs vs. Rags in the first round. My hatred of the Rangers might be enough to get me fully invested in rooting for the Habs. Maybe.

Habs have been on a tear since CJ came aboard. Went from second most penalized team to least penalized overnight. Yup, Therrien was that bad.

Because of that, and the positive contributions from the new robust 4th line, the Habs have a serious chance to go far.

Just win tonight in regulation!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Not really sure about this Habs team. Partially because I haven't been watching, but also because they've done a complete 180 since hiring CJ. Wouldn't be shocked if they rode their new coach feel into a long playoff run.

They've found some line chemistry too.

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Galchenyuk-Shaw-Lehkonen
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher

The Galchenyuk at C thing is somewhat muted because he and Shaw can alternate depending on the situation (O-Zone, D-Zone, strong side etc.). Also, Alex clearly isn't 100% after his knee injury, so playing wing helps downplay his reduced mobility.

Danault might actually be a real no. 2 centre. Still has to learn to generate his own offence, but 40 points in his first full season is nothing to sneer at.

They've got a passable top-6 in Weber, Markov, Petry, Emelin, Beaulieu, Benn, but they succeed more as a unit because individually they're not much.

Price is hot right now, which makes all the difference anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Therrien did the media rounds this week: interviews with English and French sports radio. Some high/lowlights

-Regrets calling out PK after the Colorado game
-Rode PK hard to make the best Dman in the world, thinks it came to fruition
-He's not here to be a pal to the players, recognizes times have changed a bit in that regard
-Drouin is a superstar
-10-0 Columbus game was worst night of his career. Kept Montoya in the whole game
-Galchenyuk improved every season under him

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Danny Briere just released an autobiography, and it's yet another account of Therrien being the mouth-breathing bully you think he is. Therrien played him video while shouting at him "This is why no one wants to play with you!"

Therrien and Bergevin: a couple of dumb, aggressive bullies. If not for hockey, they would've been strip club bouncers.