OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Laval Ice Caps
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:08 am 
Big in Japan

On Monday the Habs will announce the moving of their AHL affiliate to their new arena in Laval. For the 17-18 season, I presume.

Post subject: Re: The Laval Ice Caps
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:43 am 
Big in Japan

It's official. Sylvain Lefebvre right in my backyard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A poster on HF had this to say in the Avs forum.

kento wrote:
Yeah we're done. They'll probably try to bring another one here when Quebec gets an NHL team but I expect it will fail. People started caring a lot less about it last year simply because they grew an attachment to the team and players from WPG and then they decide to bring in a whole new team. Just makes it difficult to put your heart into it. The IceCaps sold out every game in it's entirety until the Habs came in.

Even though it never worked out before the best situation to bring some good hockey to St. John's is a QMJHL team. Travel costs are much less than they used to be and St. John's is bigger. The Fog Devils were only here for like 2 or 3 years which was never long enough to build a competitor but I truly believe that if a St. John's Q team had a stud young player (like Mackinnon) or went on a Memorial Cup run that the team would become to St. John's what the Mooseheads are to Halifax.

St. John's have some great hockey fans but I don't blame people for caring less after everything they've been through. They had the Maple Leafs for over 10 years until Toronto moved them down the road. Then they had a Q team until they were bought out after just two years. Then they had WPG's farm which lead to a Calder Cup final appearance and another strong playoff run 2 of the 4 years they were here only to get plucked away and replaced my Montreal who pretty much admitted we were just a temporary stopover until they could move closer to home too.

All of this happened to a team that is the highest revenue team in the AHL. Our location sucks I get it. But we certainly deserve good hockey.

Isn't Laval Patty Roy's hometown?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
Big in Japan

No Patty's from Quebec City, where he owned the QMJHL Remparts before going to Colorado.

I think he'll play a role in QC re-bidding for expansion. Probably be the President/GM/coach one-man show he's been dreaming of.

The rumour is the QC NHL team wants their AHL affiliate in Trois-Rivieres (Pop: 131,000). It's about halfway from MTL to QC, so a good way to expand their fanbase in Quebec.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It sounds like St. John's is an awesome hockey town, it's just the affiliation part that screws everything up because of the travel costs. I think a Q team would do amazing there and rake in the $$$$.

I hope Roy gets another shot, even if he runs things into the ground. He can't be any worse than Doug MacLean. I do hope, though, that he studies a little more on tactics. Much as I love Bob Hartley, his brand of hockey doesn't work in the NHL anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Sylvain Lefebvre will be returning as coach. He's done an awful job, but cronyism in the NHL is alive and well.