OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:56 am 
Big in Japan

Was thinking about the 2012-13 post-lockout Habs and how badly everything got screwed up after that.

PK won the Norris at 23. Price was coming into his own at 25. Pacioretty was 23, Eller was 23, Gallagher and Galchenyuk had excellent rookie seasons, Beaulieu and Tinordi tore their way through the AHL and looked ready for NHL duty. Reinforcements never came after that from the minors. These guys got left hanging.

The next two years they make the 3rd and 2nd rounds, then one missed playoff and Bergevin blows it up. Not a single draft pick becomes a regular after Beaulieu, and he stalled. They turned Tinordi into a fighter.

You look at that 2012-13 team and all the 20-year-olds are at the top of the scoring sheet, while the bottom is all 30-year-olds. They never found more young guys to replace them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am 
OTP Historian

Bergevin should have been canned, full stop. When Price went down, the team went into the shitter and then Bergevin didn't fire Therrien. By not doing that he basically said "This team sucks without the goalie who I didn't draft".

His moves came up roses last season with the Domi-Galchenyuk swap(which looked like a most likely losing move) and the Tatar resurgence after the weird Vegas stint(I didn't think and hoped Tatar wasn't done). But how many years of Price's prime did he cost this team?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
Was thinking about the 2012-13 post-lockout Habs and how badly everything got screwed up after that.

PK won the Norris at 23. Price was coming into his own at 25. Pacioretty was 23, Eller was 23, Gallagher and Galchenyuk had excellent rookie seasons, Beaulieu and Tinordi tore their way through the AHL and looked ready for NHL duty. Reinforcements never came after that from the minors. These guys got left hanging.

The next two years they make the 3rd and 2nd rounds, then one missed playoff and Bergevin blows it up. Not a single draft pick becomes a regular after Beaulieu, and he stalled. They turned Tinordi into a fighter.

You look at that 2012-13 team and all the 20-year-olds are at the top of the scoring sheet, while the bottom is all 30-year-olds. They never found more young guys to replace them.

The development system was terrible.

The AHL club was terrible.

The AHL coach was terrible.

I have no idea how they both drafted horribly AND failed to develop any players of meaning over that time frame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Bergevin should have been canned, full stop. When Price went down, the team went into the shitter and then Bergevin didn't fire Therrien. By not doing that he basically said "This team sucks without the goalie who I didn't draft".

His moves came up roses last season with the Domi-Galchenyuk swap(which looked like a most likely losing move) and the Tatar resurgence after the weird Vegas stint(I didn't think and hoped Tatar wasn't done). But how many years of Price's prime did he cost this team?

It wasn't just that, they also let Lefebvre ruin a whole bunch of their prospects (Tinordi included) for years before finally giving him the axe. Why they were so insanely loyal to two awful coaches is beyond me, I guess both of them fit the "toughness" bill or something (side note: kinda sad seeing Sylvain faceplant in the coaching ranks...I was a fan of his in his brief stay with the Avs).

The thing that still kinda gets me is that Bergevin has apparently come around to the analytics-driven notions of speed and skill up front rather than size, but on the back end he still seems frustratingly old-school. How they don't just ink a deal with Jake Gardiner RIGHT NOW is beyond me, unless Jake is asking for max money/term or something crazy like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
How they don't just ink a deal with Jake Gardiner RIGHT NOW is beyond me, unless Jake is asking for max money/term or something crazy like that.

Can't remember where I read/heard it, but a few beat guys have insinuated that Jake has no interest in coming here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Can't remember where I read/heard it, but a few beat guys have insinuated that Jake has no interest in coming here.

That's so weird...why!? Beggars really can't be choosers at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That's so weird...why!? Beggars really can't be choosers at this point.

Just going by insinuations again, he might go to Winnipeg once they sort out their cap issues. 19M to sign Laine, Copp and Connor. They might try to dump Perreault and Kulikov to save an additional 8M. You can cram everyone in if Laine is at 8-9, Connor at 6-7, Copp at 2-3 and Gardiner at 6 = 25M.

The Habs were sniffing around a Laine offer sheet, but given his history with Ducharme and Drouin, I think the Habs were looking to see if Ehlers might become a cap casualty. If the Habs "let" Gardiner go to Winnipeg, it might be part of a larger effort to pry Ehlers away.

The thing is, I think Bergevin tries to mastermind one of these big moves every offseason, and so far hasn't succeeded. Hence the cap space, letting Markov/Radulov walk, putting Drouin at centre last-minute, Aho sheet etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm 
OTP Clown

That's what I like about him. He swings for the fences.

Sadly he strikes out and is forced to bunt most of the time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm 
Big in Japan

I'd aim lower and offer sheet Sam Bennett and/or Pavel Buchnevich.

Both would fall in the $2,113,717-$4,227,437 Second-round pick range. Not a huge cost. I don't think Calgary or New York are in a position to match.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Both would fall in the $2,113,717-$4,227,437 Second-round pick range. Not a huge cost. I don't think Calgary or New York are in a position to match.

IMO neither of those players is worth the trouble. And I actually like Boosh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

IMO neither of those players is worth the trouble. And I actually like Boosh.

If not them, then who? Blow a bag on Gardiner? Bank of Gusev translating? This team needs goals, from the front and back end. Not much out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
If not them, then who? Blow a bag on Gardiner? Bank of Gusev translating? This team needs goals, from the front and back end. Not much out there.

He needs to quit relying so much on free agency, it obviously hasn't worked well for him. That leaves just waiting for the youngsters to develop or going out and getting an impact player via trade. And frankly, that is most definitely not his strong suit (even though, shockingly, he will end up getting more out of Shea Weber than the Preds got out of P.K. Subban).

If all else fails, just weaponize that cap space, maybe get Gusev at a discount by agreeing to take on Clarkson.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:20 pm 

Never mind...Clarkson is heading back to Toronto. :hurrr:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 pm 
Big in Japan

If Bergevin still wants to add, he's running out of dancing partners. Still really needs a scoring RW, offence in general and a defensive upgrade is one exists. This might be the team that shows up at camp. If so, Poehling and Suzuki might already be penciled in.

Rumours have them inquiring about Pominville and Brassard. Not sure either really wants to come here, but Buffalo is stretched so if Jason wants to play another season where else could he go? Feels like another Semin/Hemsky/Briere lottery ticket.

On the trade front, Calgary wants to dump Frolik's last year. Could be a fit. Lots of teams are tight to the cap, but most have cleared enough to get under. Habs still have over 4M left and that's not including savings when they send Alzner/Weise/Peca down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Markov wants back for a year. Says he really misses the city and the passion of the fans.

https://www.tsn.ca/andrei-markov-intere ... -1.1347874

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm 
OTP Clown

I want him to get the silver stick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:47 pm 

I mean...why the hell not? Got the cap room, and really, there's a real need for a puckmover back there, and it ain't like the Habs are really all that fast on the back end to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am 
Big in Japan

Interesting Q&A with Marc Dumont at the Athletic.

Reiterated a few things:

1. Gardiner got an offer from the Habs July 1, wasn't interested. Habs signed Chiarot, LD is settled.
2. Inside the org, Petry is the real no. 1 defenceman, and arguably Kulak is no. 2. Weber is aware and not super stoked about it.
3. Poehling and Suzuki probably start in Laval but might not be there long
4. Just no to Markov
5. Kotkaniemi starts as 3C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm 
Big in Japan

And I can't say I've come around to the Chiarot signing, but with Juulsen/Brook/Fleury likely vying for time on the 3rd pairing, Ben could be a steady partner at 18 mins. I don't think they necessarily signed him to be a top-4.

Kulak-Petry, Mete-Weber played well together, so they can keep that going. I could see Brook moving up fast, probably the most talented of the bunch. Fleury is coming for Juulsen's spot, and might be better in the end, or at least more consistently healthy.

Reilly fits as a poor man's Mete, Folin as a poor man's Weber. Easy to slide those guys in as part-time players.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

Looks like Bergevin doesn't want to commit money, but he could scour the market for PTOs. He could be aggressive in that regard, especially on defence.

PTO options at LD: Phaneuf, Methot, MacDonald, Hutton

Remaining one-year deal types: Pominville, Maroon

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next