OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Stinky wrote:
For now, I hope they get them. If this is a deal with a lot of b******* term? I might regret these statements.

If it's longer end, will the Habs have to go 7x8.5M AAV? Tatar and Armia are off the books in a year and make up a decent amount of that. They'll never have a 4M backup ever again, either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs made no offer for Hall in the end, says Renaud Lavoie at RDS. Cowards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm not saying Hall would've pushed the 24th best team in the league to new heights, but:

1. No matter how well they draft and develop in the next few years, there's no Taylor Hall in the bunch

2. Hall's market clearly wasn't what former MVPs usually get. Compare to Tavares/Panarin

3. You have two amazing young centres making peanuts this year

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Whoa, team gets RW Tyler Toffoli at a respectable 4 years, 4.25M AAV. This team is potentially 4 lines deep:

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Toffoli
Byron-Poehlevans-Armia

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak-Romanete

Pricallen

Not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:22 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Habs are now exceeding the cap a smidge, but unless my math is off they can get under dumping Weal and filling 13F and 7F with minimum guys. Kulak may also be sacrificed.

So how do you feel about that? I look at the Habs and I certainly don't see cup winner or deep playoff run for that type of money. Shea Weber, Carey Price and now Josh Anderson are collecting paychecks until the end of time. Shea and Carey aren't necessarily spring chickens. Jeff Petry is getting hella paid.

Suzuki, Poehling and Kotkaniemi are young bright spots.....but I don't know....I might have expected more for all that money.

To be Fair.........

there is a bit of money coming off the books next year...but they will still need to fill those holes.

But it seems like you may be ok with that. It does seem that they may be trending in the right direction but not sure about the bang for the buck.

Its just not right without the Habs being good and my dislike has worn off.....can't even wear my F**K THE HABS shirt and feel good about it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:58 pm 
Big in Japan

How do I feel? Pretty good.

Habs haven't spent to the cap in recent years, so this is a welcome change of pace.

Toffoli's 4.25M AAV is a steal.

It all comes down to the young centres, but at least they'll now have 20 goal scorers paired with them. Biggest thing they needed: pure offence.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:10 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Toffoli's 4.25M AAV is a steal.

So jealous... But at that price and term, VAN couldn't possibly afford him. And he's on your 3rd line? He would have been in our first line... Smart player, not the best skater but a good one to have on your team.

Just beat Boston. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Decent signing by the Habs. Being in LA and having watched Toffoli play over the past 6 years first hand, he's a solid for 20 goals. Not the most fleet of foot nor physical guy and is subject to long scoring droughts but since he scores in bunches, it evens out over 82 games. He has a crazy good sense around the net and for timely scoring. He tends to play better with highly skilled players.

I heard talks have broken off between the Habs and Gallagher since the Anderson and Toffoli signings - do they really need him now?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm torn about Gallagher. My heart says sign him, he's the soul of this team and a warrior who brings it every night. My head says he's approaching 30, has numerous injuries and concussions under his belt and will likely break down over a long term deal.

I ultimately think they sign him, but he wants the Kreider deal, which the Habs may not be prepared to meet.

I'm hoping he and Danault sign in the 6 x 6 range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I get the feeling that the Gallagher ask is a big reason why they signed Toffoli. They are similar players in age and production aren't they? And Toffoli is coming in an awfully lot cheaper if Gallagher wants $6M+ over 7 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-e ... -1.1538743

Habs extend Jake Allen to a 2 year 5.75M deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm 
Big in Japan

I think the Athletic summed up the offseason perfectly:

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens

The Tyler Toffoli signing was fantastic. But in the long run, this offseason will hinge on the success of the Josh Anderson trade and contract extension.

“Anderson is a big risk,” said an Eastern Conference exec. “If he turns out, they’re just fine. If he doesn’t turn out, they’re going to be lugging that around for a while. When you trade for an RFA when (one) year away (from free agency), you have to give him pretty much what he wants or you’re (acquiring) him only for one year. They should have an easier time scoring goals with Toffoli and Anderson and their D is solid, especially with Jeff Petry and Joel Edmundson. I liked their moves.”

“I understand the position Berg is in,” said another exec of GM Marc Bergevin. “I totally get it. I would have done the same thing. Claude Julien wants to get bigger, they have to make the next step. It can’t be a rebuild. That trade made sense for both teams.”

Another executive was very complimentary of the individual moves Bergevin made but was left wondering what the long-term play was in Montreal.

“Montreal is a weird one because I always feel like they make a lot of good moves but I don’t know what they’re trying to do on a macro level sense,” he said. “Bergevin seems to be really good at making good moves that don’t seem to make sense in the grand scheme of things. … I think they have a lot of good players. It’s a matter of are they ever going to be in a spot where they’re one of the five best teams in the league? I don’t know that.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:23 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

And, just like that, they sign Gally to a 6 year, 39M

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-s ... -1.1538904

Glad they got this done, as this could have been ugly. If Anderson works out, this could be decent.

I can't remember the last time the Habs were this busy at free agent signing time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 pm 
OTP Clown

I do. They brought in Gionta and others and did really really really really really really really really freaking well that year. I like this team going to start a new thread.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45