OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Then again, why couldn't the Habs trade Galchenyuk for Duchene?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Galchenyuk trade rumours picking up steam. Based on last year's major deal, Bergevin will sell low in exchange for moar grit.

Galchenyuk for Kruger or some dumb shit like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 am 
Big in Japan

The Habs announce that lifetime Hab Markov will not be back. Habs have 8.5M in cap space and no one else to spend it on, but Bergevin is too proud to give the General two years.

Markov was their best dman last year. Yes, better than Weber after he puttered out two months in. Markov was the only guy capable of exiting the zone and starting the offence with one pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
The Habs announce that lifetime Hab Markov will not be back. Habs have 8.5M in cap space and no one else to spend it on, but Bergevin is too proud to give the General two years.

Markov was their best dman last year. Yes, better than Weber after he puttered out two months in. Markov was the only guy capable of exiting the zone and starting the offence with one pass.
That's a shame. He's a very good player. Bergevin must be feeling the heat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:35 pm 
OTP Clown

Fuck this team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm 
OTP Clown

I'm getting pretty close to a Go Leafs Go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Markov says he was willing to take a one-year deal but it takes two to tango. He'll return to Russia and rep the Motherland in the Olympics.

Honestly, the Habs need Markov more than he needs them. He's got kids to take care of and a new wife. Bergevin has no one to play with Weber or distribute the puck on the PP consistently. Alzner and Schlemko are all he's got.

Another baffling offseason for a GM that's only bulletproof till the next missed playoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm 
Big in Japan

The defence without Markov might be disastrous. A severe overvaluation of what pretty good defencemen Alzner and Schlemko can bring to the table. (And perhaps Streit and Jerabek, but I suspect they'll fight it out for a complementary role.)

Alzner-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Davidson-Benn
Jerabek
Streit
Lernout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:18 pm 

"Fuck this team."

I haven't watched a game this past year, but I've still been reading about this "let's cheer on and give money to a company" league. Subban was the final nail in the NHL's racist coffin for me and I couldn't continue to ignore it given the how much of a business this sport has become. It's "just business" for everyone involved - why the hell am I not treating it like a business? Am I passionate about Best Buy?

So why am I posting? Conversation :) I won't be knowledgeable about any game at all. But I do know how businesses are run. And Bergevin/Molson are doing a shitty job on product, but great on profit....kinda like Apple ;) They're alienating a large portion of the fan base and are turning the Habs into the Leafs (prior to Shanny). MB doesn't really have a plan and is playing the role of "River Boat Gambler" while relying on PR - luckily, he has Timmins playing the role of Banker. Gamblers, at best, break even but with Timmins, MB has a lot of currency to blow through - even if the River Boat Gambler doesn't know how to develop players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Sam? Izzat you? What up!? Boy I hope I'm not getting the name wrong...I'm so terrible at names these days. :oops:

Anyway, I'd like to throw another question into the mix as well: Is Trevor Timmins losing his touch? I mean, they keep trading his best picks, but he hasn't had a real home-run draft class since 2009 or something, by my observation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 am 
Big in Japan

Welcome back to the sticky web that is The Habs organization under Molson 2.0.

The team has crossed the realm from business to political entity. Molson is looking to build a new state-of-the-art factory and haven't decided on a location (it'll either be Montreal or a nearby suburb), and you can bet Montreal is moving heaven and earth to keep them on the island. The city ostensibly gifted the team a Formula E street race that closed major roadways for weeks and a 65K person outdoor amphitheatre, which requires shutting down a popular public park for two years. The Habs built a giant condo and office tower. What the Habs want, the Habs get.

What does this mean for the hockey team itself? They're part of a much larger picture for the organization. Also, Bergevin's attitude -- uncooperative with media, arrogant, dishonest -- is basically the attitude of the organization in general.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm 

I was wondering about Timmins too. I wanted to give him a year with Julien as coach. Therrien had a really specific and outdated view of hockey which I think may have affected the choice of draft picks.

I don't think you can draw a line between business and politics anymore.... maybe there was never a difference.... the problem for me is that the sports team is no more than a piece of a corporation that has larger concerns than sports, while the sports fan lives and die with the team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm 
Big in Japan

The team just announced they're building the biggest brasserie/sports bar/restaurant in Canada right next to the Bell Centre, in case you were wondering where their heads are at these days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 am 
Big in Japan

Habs sign D Eric Gelinas to a PTO. Started his career off quickly with the Devils but has regressed since. Might stick in Laval.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Michael Farber thinks the Habs got rid of their Russians (Markov, Radulov, Emelin, Sergachev) on purpose because of Julien's influence:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/fa ... e-1.848185

Sounds about right. This team likes to make decisions based on things other than hockey.

Sorry Galchenyuk, you're next.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm 
OTP Clown

Yep.

No more russians

And Plecks will be one of his go to players...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Is Trevor Timmins losing his touch?

Timmins, eh? Tough to say who's really doing the draft sheets at this point. Timmins has added a few new titles to his portfolio while Shane Churla has taken a greater role in drafting. Timmins still has the biggest say, but I think Churla is the more boots-on-the-ground guy.

Here's how I see the Habs draft record since 2009:

-Leblanc was good enough to make the show. Moving him from his beloved Harvard to the QMJHL was a bad move. A high-ankle sprain in the AHL ruined his foot speed.
-Tinordi was a boom or bust guy. Wasn't given a chance to make mistakes early in his NHL career, started to second guess himself. Career over.
-Beaulieu is good. Habs undersold him.
-Galchenyuk good
-McCarron was a late first rounder. Should've stayed at Western Michigan. Still has tools to make it. Basically took De La Rose, Fucale and Lehkonen at the same time. DLR should make the team and Lehkonen is already there.
-Scherbak was another late first rounder. Lost a year after getting hurt his first pro season. Starting to catch up: can score but can't play defence.
-Juulsen looks good, first pro season coming up. Another late first rounder
-Sergachev became Drouin
-Poehling another late first rounder, 2-4 years away

Only two first round picks in the top 16 and he nailed them both (Galchenyuk and Sergachev). Mostly dealing with late picks.

Drafted a few NHL guys in the later rounds since 2010: Gallagher, Hudon, Ghetto, DLR, probably Lernout and Pribyl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am 
Big in Japan

Bergevin golf tournament today, signalling hockey season is just around the corner. Salient points:

1. Bergevin says Galchenyuk is on the wing, probably for good

2. Julien says Drouin deserves a shot at C

3. Schlemko will be Weber's initial D partner but it may change depending on the opponent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Victor Mete is turning heads in camp. Undersized offensive defenceman still in the OHL, but he's probably already the team's best passer. Like, SportsCentre-level threading the needle.

Otherwise, Hudon is almost definitely making the team. He's been ready for a while, but now he's really ready.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am 
OTP Clown

Watched a highlight reel of Mete.

His hockey sense - especially his offensive vision - reminds me of Markov.

I hope he gets 9 games this year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 45  Next