OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

There's an cover story in Sportsnet Magazine written by Gary Joyce which is about the fall of the Habs. It's got some decent points in it, mainly about this season and the early Houle/Tremblay days. But it's also full of other crap.

First off, it brings up the territorial rights myth. I've posted this stuff on here before, but the idea that the Canadiens owe their successes from WWII through expansion to this is still quite prevelant. This clause did exist, but the Canadiens barely benefited from it at all... the only notable players acquired through this clause were Rejean Houle, Marc Tardif, and goaltender Michel Plasse. A dynasty is born!

The real story is the Canadiens invention of the modern farm club system. They actively bought up leagues and teams to feed into the NHL team. The other real story is their value of the amateur draft over other teams: through trade they acquired the pick that eventually became Guy Lafleur, not because he was French. They understood the importance of developing your own talent and the advantages that it would bring before anyone else. Yes, the territorial rights clause was an unfair advantage, but it was also incredibly unnecessary.

Second on the list of pet peeves is that the Canadiens have sucked since their 70s dynasty ended. The idea that the Habs of the 1980s through 1994 sucked except for Patrick Roy has apparently come up, and it's about time someone defended those teams. The Canadiens had to pass on their dynasty to the Islanders, then the Oilers, but they were consistently an elite club. They made the Conference Finals in 1983, 1984, and 1987. They made the Cup Finals in 1989. They won the Cup in 1986 and 1993. 1994 was the first year they lost in the first round in ages. They won several division titles and a couple of Conference titles for regular season points. I did an IIHF style points ranking system for NHL clubs and from 1980-1994 the lowest the Canadiens fell in terms of a four year outlook on team success was 6th, and they were #1 in 1989, and were clearly the top team in the Wales Conference for that entire time period.

But most of the work done to thwart Joyce's thesis was done by the brilliant Ellen Etchingham. Read it and weep, haters.

http://theoryofice.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... ntium.html

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Scotty Bowman speaks.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnews/H ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm 

I think this was stated in Etchingham's post, but - would Joyce have written this after the Habs beat the Pens and Caps in 2010? Of course not. It's an opportunistic piece that has no purpose but to sell copies of a fledging magazine.... i.e. ironically, the author is USING the fact that the Habs have relevance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm 
OTP Clown

Habs suck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm 

Territorial rights wasn't a reason to hate the habs until about the late 80's. It wasn't very common knowledge prior to that and the habs were very disliked without that as an excuse. I'd say for two reasons the habs were hated, the team was incredibly successful and the fans really obnoxious. And strong contempt in English Canada for the French unwillingness to volunteer for WWII. Even in the league their was a perception that Habs players were avoiding their responsibility and making hay while other players were overseas

Quote:
"He's (Maurice Richard) just a wartime hockey player".

This quote came from the mouth of Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Frank Selke in the mid 1940's, when Richard scored 50 goals in 50 games while World War II raged overseas. While the assumption went more or less undisputed at the time, the notion that Richard was simply a wartime hockey phenominon took root and gained ground outside of the province of Quebec.

This bias certainly shaped a couple generations attitudes about the Habs. They're pretty much dead or retired now, but they did influence their children to also hate the habs and the beat goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm 
King of Men

I might have to speak up here. The Habs fans have been some of the most inviting and understanding of all sports fans i have been privilege to behold. In the US fans are idiots. Every time I have worn a different jersey to the Molson, bell or Forum I was greeted with knowledgeable fans and courtesy. These are the best fans I have ever encountered and the model for every NHL fan base. Albeit that was 10 years ago but I would hope that these beautiful people aren't belittled by this piece.

It is still my favorite place to see a game. I love you Montreal!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm 
OTP Clown

Habs suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am 
Old Man of the Post

They were just that damned good through the 70s... They were hated as much as the Isles in the early 80s, and the Oilers through the 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
They were just that damned good through the 70s... They were hated as much as the Isles in the early 80s, and the Oilers through the 80s.

Except those teams aren't still hated like the Habs still are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am 

people still hate the Habs? Seems to me the Leafs are more disliked than the Habs, even the Canucks seem to gather more ire than the Habs do these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:26 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I always thought all the Cups had to do with it, like the way the Yankees are hated by baseball fans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I always thought all the Cups had to do with it, like the way the Yankees are hated by baseball fans.

Naw. It's because they're French.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Seems like some of the Habs are Hab haters.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414754

Apparently team not thrilled with PK coming back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:06 am 

us 679 part trois wrote:

Markov is always like that. Gorges is just saying he's glad he doesn't have to get asked about the distraction of the holdout anymore.

We've rarely seen Markov and Subban on the PP together, and we may not see it still since Diaz is showing how good he is in that situation. But man Subban is going to make that PK look a lot better.

Drew Doughty seemed to re-integrate just fine in LA. I doubt this is an issue at all.

NOW PLAY ELLER ON THE PENALTY KILL INSTEAD OF ARMSTRONG ALREADY!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 am 

saskhab wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:

Markov is always like that. Gorges is just saying he's glad he doesn't have to get asked about the distraction of the holdout anymore.

We've rarely seen Markov and Subban on the PP together, and we may not see it still since Diaz is showing how good he is in that situation. But man Subban is going to make that PK look a lot better.

Drew Doughty seemed to re-integrate just fine in LA. I doubt this is an issue at all.

NOW PLAY ELLER ON THE PENALTY KILL INSTEAD OF ARMSTRONG ALREADY!

I agree, the media is making more of it than there really is. With that said I do think PK still has a little growing up to do and like Price, I think he too will mature this season, and really give our PK a shot in the arm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am 
OTP Clown

Habs Suck.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:07 pm 

Captain Picard rockin' the Habs hat in New York.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... zza/65720/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm 

We'll have all the Star Trek captains as fans one day.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I like this pic of him better.
http://9gag.com/gag/6963431

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 am 

Habs old goalie coach Melanson, says Price has been deteriorating since he left the team in 2009.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425170